Metal Gear Solid HD Collection

Chindie

I got this the other day and haven't played it yet but I can't wait to play MGS 2 again. I don't know if this was a popular opinion but loads of the fanboys near me used to complain about it constantly, probably because for the majority you were playing as Raiden and not Snake but so what? I really love that game, and I agree, in retrospect it was ahead of it's time.

I didn't ever get to play Snake Eater or Peace Walker either so for £30 it was a bargain for me.

I wonder if they'll ever do a complete remake of Metal Gear Solid.

They did, it was on the gamecube and had the graphics and controls of MGS2, which actually made it super easy.

Aye, the Twin Snakes. I actually really enjoyed it but it's not well held with the fanboy community - they re-recorded some of the dialogue which lead to some off sounding sections, even bits with voice actors sounding bored, and they also fiddled with the cutscenes giving the whole thing a bit of a John Woo feel, Snake at one point jumps on top of a missile for example. Making the whole thing even sillier than usual.

regular_john is right that the MGS2 gameplay also made the thing stupidly easy, the game was never designed to allow for things like first person viewpoint shooting so some sections became absurdly easy.

Sadly it'll never be seen on any other consoles. It's also quite in demand still and can demand decent money even now - hence why I've still got my copy ;).

As for dislike of Raiden, nah that was definitely a fairly universal opinion. He just wasn't a great move on Kojima's part, although playing from his perspective had the effect of making Snake seem all the more badass. At times in the game(s) you can tell that Kojima kinda knew he was never going to be a popular character, the President mistakes him for a woman, he has a 'cameo' in MGS3 that may not be construed as flattering, in MGS4 you discover his character has gotten **** over even more (before getting some badassery added in)... he's never going to be popular.

MGS3 is superb, btw.

Yeah I heard Snake Eater was one of the best so I'm really looking forward to playing it.

I never realised The Twin Snakes was a remake, I didn't really look into it though. Raiden is a bit of a whiny bitch but I still loved the game, and at least Snake was in it on the Tanker and later as Pliskin.

Kind of Off Topic, what does everyone think of Revengeance? Aside from the kind of dumb name.

I'd forgotten how different MGS3 was. I feel **** lost without the radar.

But it's still so good.

I also love that the HD collection has made some of the old Easter eggs from the games into achievements - like the ability to make a time paradox in MGS3 if you happen to do a certain thing ;)

Just completed one of the best boss battles in videogame history once again, the End.

But I **** forgot he is a (the only...?) boss in the game that you don't get the camo from by stamina killing him, and his camo can be really useful. I spent ages running round trying to find him to pump him full of tranqs and only when he was finished and didn't give up the camo did I remember you have to hold him up to get the camo off him. Argh!

But still, such a good fight.

MGS3 is a complete gem.

Barking mad. But a gem.

• 1 month later...

Loved the first two Metal Gears right up to the end of two which confused and frustrated the shit out of me. The series lost me there and while I played three for a good 5 hours neither the setting nor the story captured me.

Bought MGS4 today for my shiny new PS3 and I'm hoping it will capture my imagination enough to persuade me to go finally beat the last boss on two (because what a game until there), get to grips with the story and maybe play through three before I have a proper crack at four. In other words, think I'll be buying this once I see it below £25.

4 is more likely to make you go 'Oh what the ****, I can't be arsed'. Good game by most accounts but pretty grim to play at points, absurdly long cutscenes, even more convoluted plot... and IIRC, if you've not played 3, a major character revelation will have you going 'Huh, what? Why? Eh?'.

I'd really try and track down a copy of the HD Collection you might be able to get a decent price for it online somewhere, eBay maybe. The third game is really, really worth trying again. It's a great game and does away with the utter madness of 2 (which many find furstrating) in favour of upping the slightly camp craziness that the series always has. The improved camera that the HD version has also makes it quite a fun play (at times it becomes a bit too easy but hey, you're there for the ride, and it's a great one).

• 1 year later...

I guess this is kind of the Metal Gear thread, so Ima post this here. It is horrific though. So I'm really sorry if you hadn't heard, but here goes.

David Hayter has been sacked as the voice of Snake.

The new voice actor is Keither Sutherland. Yup. Starting from MGS5 (The Phantom Pain)/the prequel thing , and he will lend his physical self to the game aswell, doing facial motion capture stuff.

It...just won't be right, will it?

Edited by hogso

...sorry I just wanted to put a bit of extra spin on it. The BORING reality is they just picked Sutherland instead this time, wrongly imho

Well Kiefer has the gruffnes, but I'm just going to be hearing Jack Bauer.

I'm going to tell myself that Hayter is Solid Snake and Sutherland is Big Boss.  It's not like they would possibly have exactly the same voice anyway is it?

Â