• Downing
    • A Young
    • Delph
    • Petrov
    • Reo-Coker
    • Bent
    • Bradley (for Petrov 80)
    • Heskey (for Delph 90+1)

I didn't know we were on TV today assumed the wigan match would have been on, so I was there apprehensive at a pub I love but which I have a terrible record of villa wins, just the 1 win seen there in 6 years, so I was considering scarpering, especially as like most folk I wasn't all too optimistic pre kick off.

Still, kept the faith and what a win.

Bent's goals were top draw and we finally relaly do have that quality goalscorer we needed. We definitely had luck on our side, but after the shit we've had this season, I'm not complaining but thanks all the same to Mr Oliver, should have been a pen to arsenal, petrov should have been sent off and their offside goal was perfectly fine ( just like bent's at west ham ).

There was the expected backs to the wall job in the second half and we need to improve on this, it's torture and we've suffered it for 4 years - but we've won away to a top 4 side, which is nice - good record at arsenal continues and credit to GH and even the much maligned GMAC for the win, Delph for Heskey was a smart move.

Could even have extended our lead, but in the end some good defending, coupled with arsenal being their stubborning patient selves saw us through, actually I must admit I switched pubs at half time because I just was so keen to maintain a good record at that local - admittedly some may see that as cheating, but not in my book! We've got work to do, our passing was unhelpfully sloppy at times when Arsenal were really going at us in that second half but never mind but still on for a top ten finish, of a turbulent season which won't be that bad a finish at the end of it all.

friedel 9 - denied motm by bent but just as crucial at times - I won't mind him staying on another year with us tbh, calm head.

walker 7.5 - good run and great assist for the first goal and does provide a good outlet down that right

dunne 6 - ok but, but for a dodgy ref would have conceded a penalty. was harshly given a foul against right at the end though

collins 7 - good heading and was strong when needed to be

young L 7 - good and solid, wish he was left footed

Young a 6.5 - great assist but otherwise quiet

Petrov 5 - lacked discipline, some poor passing, not his best lucky to stay on pitch

reo coker 5.5 - alright but again some sloppy passing

delph 6- good to see him out there, will see more of him next year I expect

Downing 7 - a constant threat, wish he'd brave his right foot a bit more

Bent 9.5 - superb performance and well taken goals indeed, he's our man!

Oliver 10 - excellent effort for the most part though did penalise Dunne harshly right at the end, but otherwise good game

GMAC 8- got everything right really. I think an Arsenal onslaught was to be expected in the second half tbh

Friedel 8- Really solid performance on the whole

Walker 8- The new system helped him make his forward runs with someone behind to cover, and he was excellent in the first half

Dunne 7- On another day, may have seen red and conceded a penalty, but got some crucial blocks in

Collins 5- Fortunate to be on the winning side after a haphazard display. As poor as Squillaci with the ball in behind him but fortunately, was only punished once

L.Young 7.5- Solid throughout.

Reo Coker 6.5- Keeps his unbeaten record v Arsenal, but didn't keep up his usual performance levels and tenacity after being booked

Petrov 5.5- After a decent first half, he faded very badly and dropped off far too much

Delph 7- Looked to be lacking in confidence, but looked increasingly useful as the game wore on

Downing 6- Very wasteful and often chose the wrong option. Always bright though

A.Young 6.5- A good shift, but was rarely in the game, other than an exquisite pass to Bent

Bent 9*- At his best. It doesn't get much better than two striker's finishes at the Emirates with Fabio watching

Gary Mac 8- Where was Cuellar?? On a positive note though, this was the right system today. Three men in the centre allowed Walker to get forwards. He was right to sub Petrov also.

Well I didn't see that coming!!! Absolutly chuffed to bits - I can't tell you!!

So pleased that we are finally, officially and soundly safe!

Bent and Friedal were awesome, some dodgy moments, but I thought the second half they rode their luck and defended like the lions on their chest, something I love to see.

Actually looking forward to MOTD and next Sunday!

UTV

Villa are 7/1 with paddy power. I just won £100 on citeh winning the F.A cup 1-0 so sticking £20 on the Villa for a laugh !!

I live down the road from the Royal Oak, share the wealth with the locals!!

:winkold:

Well blow me down and shame on me to tell the truth. I thought we'd get thrashed today but perhaps I should be a bit more optimistic in the future!

I only watched the game in a bar expecting a defeat but in Darren Bent we have one hell of a goalscorer. He's pretty much the complete striker if we can a) provide him service and B) fend off the vultures we will go places with this chap.

I think Arsenal were quite arrogant today thinking the team would just roll over and die - to be honest most Villa fans in the pub did! But they did us proud in the second half and if Arse would have equalised it would have been undeserved. It was another gutsy performance but probably the best this season. Its such a pity results like this have been so few and far between.

The ref had a large part to play with some risky calls but perhaps Lady Luck was shining on our behalf.

So we look to the future, here's hoping whoever is manager next season manages to get the team playing the right way and that we become as hard to beat as we looked today, but over a lot more games.

Bent MOTM but lots of credit to Dunne, he was at his most commanding today.

:D

Are you joking, aren't you?

Did you see the goal the he conceded to an unmarked RvP?

And the penalty that was going to concede?

It's mathematically impossible to keep a clean sheet with Dunne in the team.

Just got home from the Emirates.

What a brilliant day out that was!

I'd expected very little based on our current form but had a sneaky feeling as I was there when we won 2-0 a few years back. However, on that day I rung 'Call Collymore' to explain that Steve Sidwell was the new Pele, so my 'sneaky feelings' aren't all correct.

Anyway, my thoughts on today were that we were excellent first half and especially in the first 20 minutes or so. In the second we held on through a bit of luck and some heroic blocks / Friedel saves / Arsenal misses.

On the first half pen shout, I've got to say that I was right in front of it, with a better view than either the ref or the linesman (right behind our goal) and it did look a pen and sending off. Got lucky there and when they hit the post, but hey, you need a bit of luck at the Emirates - let's remember they've beaten both Man Utd and Barcelona in home games this season.

So overall we rode our luck and showed that we can be a good team. Bent is priceless and I thought Reo-Coker did magnificently in midfield. Petrov was bit off the pace 2nd half but always leads us well.

Think I let the "we're gonna lose both games 8-0 and get relegated" menks on here subconsciously bring me down a bit cos I went to this expecting to be sitting there grudgingly admiring Arsenal passing triangles in a hammering all day long then feel embarrassed on the Tube, but this was basically a big **** party to the point where it was a bit hard to follow the game

Nice to see Osama, Pac-Man, Mario Bros. and 2Pac get a run-out

Best performance on the season by a mile - We actually looked like we a defence today and Bent as the lone striker is when he's at his best and fcking deadly he's gonna become an icon at the villa. I also thought NRC was immense and surprised only got 5% of the vote so far. Also Delph with his 1st start in how long was superb.. what a player this kids gonna be for us.

Special mention to Ash and Nige for coming over after the final whistle and throw there shirts into the crowd and to the away support - best away day I've had in years absolute top quality the gooners were blown away by us !!

UTV and roll on next seasons away days.

Dunne was good today. Without him we would have conceded more imo.

Are you sure you watched the game?

The goal that was caused when Collins totally misjudged a ball in the air, exposing the whole defence.

The penalty appeal where Dunne desperately tried to cover for Collins being caught out by a ball straight over his head and managed to get his leg between Ramsey and the ball?

Dunne played on the edge and was lucky at times but the tackles and blocks he made earned him that little bit of luck.

Â