• Downing
    • A Young
    • Delph
    • Petrov
    • Reo-Coker
    • Bent
    • Bradley (for Petrov 80)
    • Heskey (for Delph 90+1)

Yes we had a bit of luck today but I remember bad luck all season and in fact Arsenal owed us one as I remember 2 seasons ago at the Emirates when Song went through Petrov about 3 times with bad tackles and wasn't booked or sent off and I also remember we should have had a penalty there last season too (think it was, might have been the season before) when Agbonlahor was bundled over in the box.

Not long got home. Darren Bent is quality, what a finish for his 1st goal. Friedel was excellent, he came to catch or punch everything today! Very commanding! Why he doesn't do this more often I don't know! What a great way to end my birthday weekend! Added to the fact that I got a happy birthday tweet from Paul McGrath & PSN is finally working again! Great weekend :-)

Wonderful result today which I have to say I did not see coming. Nice to see Arsene (jam tomorrow) Wenger's hang dog expression post match.

Bent worth every single penny IMO. GMac called it right today with a meaty midfield including the mighty NRC and Delph. Just right to boss the pretty boys of Arsenal.

Great great day made just that bit sweeter with Blues teetering on the brink

Finally after 37 games we played 4-3-3, hopefully we'll keep it that way.

Or was it 4-5-1? :lol:

It was 4-2-3-1 imo.

How? There was no one in the 'hole'.

Agreed. It was a 4-3-3, Delph was working on roughly the same axis as Petrov but running from deep to link. I've written about it over on my blog in much more length though, so I won't bore anyone who doesn't care here!

What a fantastic match. Voted Friedel MoM because he was superb, though Bent ran him close in my eyes. Collins was immense, too, best defending I've seen from the backline all season (though the competition isn't all that great, admittedly).

**** hell, what a game.

Bent was brilliant, especially the control to bring the ball down for the first goal... next season he will surely get 20+ goals, love that man so much.

Gave motm to Walker though, thought he had his best game for us today, would really like to keep him but think it's unlikely.

Delph looked good, looking forward to seeing more of him next year. Bradley did quite nicely when he came on too I thought.

The ref played a blinder for us but we have had such shitty luck all season that it was about time we had a few decisions go our way.

So nervous second half, I was shaking like ****. So happy we held on though.

We looked like a proper team today, so much for the spanking that we all expected!

Had a £25 free bet on betfair so I've backed us at 9s, dreamland :lol:

:D:D:D

I can now afford a season ticket for next year, get the **** in!

Still can't believe it. £230 :D

Agreed. It was a 4-3-3, Delph was working on roughly the same axis as Petrov but running from deep to link. I've written about it over on my blog in much more length though, so I won't bore anyone who doesn't care here!

Excellent job, mate.

It's only a detail, but I think that your scheme confirms just that our formation was 4-2-3-1 because Reo and Petrov were behind Delph, and Delph was almost on the same line of the wingers.

immagine2no.png

Can't understand how you can consider immense the pair Dunne & Collins, though.

They concede one or two goals every game.

I was acclimatized with the likes of Paul mc Grath and Alessandro Nesta (the former captain of my Italian team) who conceded one or two every season!

Try to see again the RvP's goal, their blunder is evident: http://rutube.ru/tracks/4433971

Had a £25 free bet on betfair so I've backed us at 9s, dreamland :lol:

:D:D:D

I can now afford a season ticket for next year, get the **** in!

Still can't believe it. £230 :D

that's the one annoying thing from today! when i saw you'd said that i was going to do it myself but in the end didn't have time to create an account!

but yeah, what a day. voice completely gone, can finally stop shaking and worrying about relegation!! :D

Excellent job, mate.

It's only a detail, but I think that your scheme confirms just that our formation was 4-2-3-1 because Reo and Petrov were behind Delph, and Delph was almost on the same line of the wingers.

immagine2no.png

Not quite. Petrov was on a similar line with Delph. If it was a 4-2-3-1, Delph would be much further forward. Compare that diagram to the one I did for the Carling Cup final and you'll see what I mean. The positioning of the three is much more extreme in a 4-2-3-1.

Can't understand how you can consider immense the pair Dunne & Collins, though.

They concede one or two goals every game.

I was acclimatized with the likes of Paul mc Grath and Alessandro Nesta (the former captain of my Italian team) who conceded one or two every season!

Try to see again the RvP's goal, their blunder is evident: http://rutube.ru/tracks/4433971

You misunderstand me, I think individually they were exceptionally good TODAY (um, yesterday, come to think of it). Over the course of the season they've been pretty pathetic, as I said in the graph showing their tackles made next to the conclusion, but today, as individual defenders, they excelled.

Having a go at them over the RvP goal would be harsh really, considering it was a goalmouth scramble and they had been defending more or less for the entire game minus the first 20 minutes. Heavy Arsenal pressure would eventually pay off, but it was due to their good defending (partially) that we didn't concede more.

this was basically a big **** party to the point where it was a bit hard to follow the game

This, this and this.

What an away day. I've **** hated this season, I really have. But the one thing that keeps my spirits up is the fantastic away days we have with the Villa. All the regular faces, the banter, the songs, the shit beer. Today was on another level - singing and bouncing for 90 minutes! And that was just at the game!

Arsenal's "fans" were taking pictures of us we are so good! 8)

We might have had a shit season ON the pitch - but with fans like this, a return to the big time one day is a certainty. Absolutely class, I can't actually put it into words.

I honestly think we spurred our players on to the win today. When we were holding on, back to the wall, defending for our lives, the Claret & Blue army was in full voice!

I won't miss this season, but I'll miss the away days for sure.

@DotsandCrosses - I remain of my idea about the formation mate, but thank you for sharing your blog and your beautiful diagrams, many congrats for them, I'll make a bit of advertising that is well deserved for the accuracy that you put in the job.

Got to say, I didn't get a ticket today because I had a prior arrangement earlier in the day, but I came back from said arrangement by the Emirates (I live in London. Lived in Aston when I got into football though, so Villa are my team!) the away fans were absolutely fantastic as they were coming out of the stadium. Well done, anyone who went!

@DotsandCrosses - I remain of my idea about the formation mate, but thank you for sharing your blog and your beautiful diagrams, many congrats for them, I'll make a bit of advertising that is well deserved for the accuracy that you put in the job.

Thank you very much. Football's all about opinions, after all, we can agree to disagree eh? :winkold:

I am looking forward to the Liverpool game a lot now.

Finally after 37 games we played 4-3-3, hopefully we'll keep it that way.

Or was it 4-5-1? :lol:

It was 4-2-3-1 imo.

How? There was no one in the 'hole'.

What a fantastic match. Voted Friedel MoM because he was superb, though Bent ran him close in my eyes. Collins was immense, too, best defending I've seen from the backline all season (though the competition isn't all that great, admittedly).

I also thought Collins was excellent. He's not flavour of the month obviously, but great to see he still has a good game in him.

I thought the formation was pretty bog standard 4-5-1. When we didn't have the ball, we matched up in the centre, you never really saw them have a constant 'on' ball especially in the first half. Alex Song was being marked by Delph I think in the main (regularly changed) so there were times where Song would move forward and Delph would track him but soon pass him on as he pressed higher while Coker/Petrov were slightly deeper. With the ball, (limited times) there wasn't really an obvious shape in the midfield, Reo-Coker, Delph, Petrov all at different points supported from midfield and all at times sat back. Delph naturally being the most attacking and better on the ball found himself forward more than the other two but not so regularly it was definitely his 'position'.

The second image was spot on but yeah, not sure the first diagram was completely correct as Song was rarely a 'free' man in there although obviously to a point, we weren't going to press all the way over the pitch and leaves ourselves exposed.

Thought like so many that we would get stuffed, so over the moon that we grabbed the three points with some lovely football especially in the first half. Watched the match on sky and thought it was actually Arsenal playing in the black shirts as we were that good!

The team was set up to perfection today and played to our strengths so whether it was GH or GMac, or a combination of both, tactically we were spot on. The players also looked like they had fire in their bellies. Maybe some were playing for their future at Villa Park but it does help when you play players in their correct positions and they feel comfortable.

I think however we got lucky again by playing Arsenal without their talisman. They are not the same team without him and he did make the difference earlier this season at Villa Park.

We are now mathematically safe!

The signing of Bent has been a masterstroke and if we had paid double he still would have been the best signing bar none in the January transfer window. We would have surely been relegated without him.

We also have been lucky in the run in by playing teams not at full strength and the Gods have been with us in that respect.

I just hope that we now get a decision from the board on who will be our manager next season so that we can plan ahead for next season and hope we never get ourselves in a similar situation for the foreseeable future?

Finally got a chance to note down my feelings about the game.

Friedel - 7

I didn't feel comfortable with him, not exactly sure why.

Walker - 8

Very important player for us, he gives us a great outlet. Great vision for the first goal. Gave the ball away a few times, but I think everyone did. Defended well yesterday.

L Young - 7

Played well against a tricky Walcott. Supported attacks well.

Dunne - 6

Didn't think it was a penalty myself, but he wasn't having the best of games.

Collins - 6

Put in some good blocks and a few good headers (and some shockers).

It would be nice to not have to revert to blocking though.

Reo-Coker - 9

I thought he was very good yesterday. In recent months I've been sceptical, but he covered the ground well. Made some good interceptions. I love the way he sprints forward when we are on the break, even though he can't shoot. Passion.

Petrov - 6

I don't like Petrov, it's not a secret, I don't think he offers us anything apart from giving away fouls and moaning to the ref. Makoun would replace him in my opinion.

Delph - 7

I thought he played well. Struggled to get into the game to start off with I think. But he was solid. Think he'll be great next year if he can keep his fitness.

Young - 7

Quiet but solid. He wasn't the main focus, but he worked as hard as normal. Defended and helped L.Young out. Fantastic assist for second goal.

Downing - 7

I wasn't too impressed with Downing, gave the ball away quite a lot. Made some bad decisions when with the ball. A few times, I just wished we had a right footer on the right hand side. But that's not Downing's fault that he's played there.

Bent - 9

Special player. Unlucky not to get a third, with a weak left foot strike. Spectacular finish for the first goal, and great finish for second.

Bradley - n/a

I might have freaked out a bit when he came on for Petrov, I wanted Cuellar on (3 DCs would have made sense to me. Change to a 5-2-2- 1.) But he did well, came forward well, however no end result. I'd start him against Livepool - let's see what he's got.

Heskey - n/a

Again wanted Cuellar. Didn't do anything in the minute he was on :)

Â