Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

VT at it's best here, reading into things that aren't there.

Did you know Petrov only celebrated our goals against Chelsea for an average of 34 seconds, whereas the team average was 39 seconds?!

He'll be gone by February

:lol:

The club are pushing for a sale imo.

McLeish has came out today and said he has had no contact with Liverpool. Its quite obvious what is going on. The club keep going on and on about it.

I assume that he 'came out' in response to a question from a journalist?

In that case, what would you like him to say?

The poor bloke (okay, £??k a week, he isn't poor) is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

7th July 2011 : Aston Villa: Stewart Downing is NOT for sale - Alex McLeish

http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/aston-villa-fc/aston-villa-news/2011/07/07/aston-villa-stewart-downing-is-not-for-sale-alex-mcleish-97319-29010346/

Villa are adamant they have no desire to sell Downing who cost £10 million, rising to £12 million, when he arrived on crutches with a fractured foot two years ago.

“He had a magnificent season last year and really came to full maturity as a top player,” said McLeish.

“I understand why there’s teams interested in him and that is what happens when you play well consistently.

“His performances last season were top drawer.

“That’s why he’s NOT for sale."

15th July 2011 : Stewart Downing signs for Liverpool

http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/aston-villa-fc/aston-villa-news/2011/07/07/aston-villa-stewart-downing-is-not-for-sale-alex-mcleish-97319-29010346/

Villa are adamant they have no desire to sell Downing who cost £10 million, rising to £12 million, when he arrived on crutches with a fractured foot two years ago.

“He had a magnificent season last year and really came to full maturity as a top player,” said McLeish.

“I understand why there’s teams interested in him and that is what happens when you play well consistently.

As if the club/manager would lie to us. ;)

It does get a bit tiresome.

If they want to leave, they leave. Players have all of the power, particularly when they are close to the end of their contract.

Downing was quoted in the press as saying that he was happy and staying, so we have no reason to believe that he told McLeish anything different.

Then his head was turned and he wanted to go, so it was left to the club to get the maximum fee for him, something that they did well.

They also got eye watering money for Barry, Milner and Young, under similar circumstances.

We read today that Gary Cahill, an average defender, is some way apart with the suitor club on wages. If we believe what we read the difference is fifty grand a week-difference, not wages.

Footballers go for the money, and their agents go for the commission that a big move brings. So they leave, simple as that.

The club are pushing for a sale imo.

McLeish has came out today and said he has had no contact with Liverpool. Its quite obvious what is going on. The club keep going on and on about it.

I assume that he 'came out' in response to a question from a journalist?

In that case, what would you like him to say?

The poor bloke (okay, £??k a week, he isn't poor) is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

The fact of the matter is he gets asked a wide range of questions.

He said last week Bent wasn't for sale. Yes, he was asked again and again he said no. We already knew that. Its old news, maybe its the cynic in me, but the AVFC official Facebook page and Twitter posted directly about him not having any contact with Liverpool about Bent. Why? Why is that news? Sure McLeish said last week he was not for sale. End of.

Why do we need to know if there has been contact when McLeish rubbished the transfer last week and apparently put it to bed?

McLueless probably got confused in the interview and thought he was being asked a question about Emile Heskey 8)

It does get a bit tiresome.

If they want to leave, they leave. Players have all of the power, particularly when they are close to the end of their contract.

Downing was quoted in the press as saying that he was happy and staying, so we have no reason to believe that he told McLeish anything different.

Then his head was turned and he wanted to go, so it was left to the club to get the maximum fee for him, something that they did well.

They also got eye watering money for Barry, Milner and Young, under similar circumstances.

We read today that Gary Cahill, an average defender, is some way apart with the suitor club on wages. If we believe what we read the difference is fifty grand a week-difference, not wages.

Footballers go for the money, and their agents go for the commission that a big move brings. So they leave, simple as that.

I know exactly what you're saying and much of what you say is right, but players don't have all the power.

Take the whole thing with Luka Modric, if we are to believe what was reported, he wanted to leave, but Harry put his foot down and kept him because he was such a massive part of that team. You may think that isn't the greatest of arguments because Spurs are a much better team than us now and the club itself is run a lot better compared to us, and you may be right.

We always had the choice of not taking the money and keeping the players here, I doubt players like Milner or even Stuart "Judas" Downing would have purposefully not played to the best of their ability.

On the flip side, we obviously had a financial problem concerning the wages some of our players were on, and that is the only thing I really dislike MON for, but the higher-ups have to take responsibility for that too since they signed off on the contracts offered to these players.

It seems to me that the board and MON have made poor decisions quite some time ago with concerns to signing certain players and putting them on insane contracts and that only over the last couple of seasons have these mistakes really started to come to the fore since these past mistakes have influenced a lot of the recent decisions the club has made.

the only reason modric is still at spurs is because he has 5 years left on his contract. if he only had a year or 2 there is no doubt in my mind they would have taken the huge amount on offer. this is the same spurs who have cashed in on assets no problem in the past. lets not get into thinking spurs are masters of keeping their players.

modrics contract length left has allowed them to make the gamble of keeping him, hope he doesnt rock the boat and hope that he can inspire them back into the champions league. if they get that he may have a change of heart and commit to the club again. if he plays up or they fall short and he says he still wants to go, well then he is still going to command a hefty fee because he has 4 years left on his deal. at the moment that gamble seems to be paying off as they are doing well and look odds on for a champions league spot.

of course spurs have the advantage of a manager who knows how to get a team playing the football needed for the top 4. we didnt have that, so even when we put our foot down and kept our best players like Barry for the extra year it got us nowhere. we bottled 4th place and then he left for several million less than we could have got the previous year. is last summer the first time we had an offer for young? no chance, but we kept him for as long as possible to try and get some success. success we never got because of our managers limitations.

downing only had 2 years left - do you take liverpools excessive offer now or run the risk of him being a negative influence (which given how he acted in the summer is not impossible) and then having to take a lot less next summer when he invariably wants out again.

Bent still has 3 and a half years left on his deal, which is hopefully the thing that will keep him here for the immediate future. no need to sell at the moment even if he does want out. his value will hold for a while.

its not the first time our players get unsettled even where theyre happy here, i reckon its partly down to player player tapping up, lets be honest, theyre all mates at international level, i bet gerrard or downing has phoned bent up and told him to go

you never know

MirrorAnderson David Anderson

An Anfield source says Darren Bent's move to Liverpool is done.

As much as people think we're not told the truth, there is no way on gods earth that mcleish will have said that we have had no contact and a deal to have been done. If it has, tapping up on a huge scale.

For what it's worth, I think he'll be here in Feb.

Â