How big a derby is Coventry for us Villa fans?

TRS-T

As 1968's post clearly states, there is lots of Villa support in Coventry heartland, so that's why they hate us.

Rivalry? No, their local rivals are Leicester, and I am pleased that they can enjoy that derby nowadays.

I have no animosity towards Coventry fans, much like I had little care for bluenoses before they were promoted. They are an irrelevance!

Teams that are in the shadow of a bigger, more succesful regional rival will always have a jealousy complex, it is to be expected. I think the hatred is all one-way and rather sad.

It's not. If we drew them away in a cup or something I'd class it as a cheaper away day. The same way that Stoke isn't one but media still call it one.

In whos eyes yours? you look about 18??? the last time villa played Coventry id guess you was 9/10????

Coventry through 80's 90's was fierce......on and off the pitch...always a

good derby is Coventry.

This. Of course it's a derby - and a bigger one than Albion in my opinion, making it only second to Blues. It goes without saying that most Villa fans, myself included, have forgotton about them by now and it is true to say they really are a nothing club.

But then what does that mean in the context of whether we have a local rivalry? Nothing. Blues are the biggest joke of a club since records began yet I'd say our derby game with them is one of the most fierce in the UK. It is naive, in my opinion, for people to dismiss this clash simply because we haven't played them for such a long time.

As in all derby games, Blues included, when you don't play them for years the rivalry simmers untill the next meeting. Coventry was always a big derby game in the 80's/90's and when we relegated them in 2000 I remember the atmosphere was white hot - and not just from Coventry fans either. There was untold trouble before and after that game, also in VP. They obviously hate us FAR more than we even think about them - but the city is the same distance from Brum as Wolverhampton is and make no mistakes about it - it is a rivalry. Quite a fierce one too in my opinion.

Villa Park to Wolves is 14.3 miles and to Coventry is 21.8 miles. In the 45 years I've supported Villa Coventry was always the lesser derby than SHA, Albion and Wolves.

Note I said the city, not Villa Park. The reason being many Villa fans live in south Brum which is far closer to Coventry than Wolves.

It's still the lesser deby of the 4.

In your opinion it might be, yes.

As for Coventry, they seem to hate us but I couldn't care less about them.

How I see it too.

The only proper derby for me is the SHA. I hate the likes of man city / liverpool more than the rest who I just dislike equally as I dislike all clubs bar Villa 8)

I think it was Taylor that scores that early goal. I loved the day we sent them down, they where the first real rivals that I remembered.

No mate I was there, trust me it was Dwight Yorke although your confusion is likely due to the fact Taylor was involved but he provided the cross.

When I first started watching Villa (1994), it was only Coventry, and it stayed like that till about the time we sent them packing! And around that time, Blues, WBA and Wolves were semi-regulars in the Premiership.

I hate Coventry.

I know this is off topic but why the hell do Norwich see Wolves as their second main rival according to that census? There must be history there...

EDIT: I should have googled it and kept is off this thread but here is the answer if anyone is interested:

There’s history since Kevin Muscat’s shocking tackle on Craig Bellamy in 1998 broke his leg. It turned into a bit of a free-for-all, with Muscat the main target. Then the play-off games escalated it. Molineux is one of those nasty places that no one likes to visit.

Coventry are like all the other Midlands clubs jealous of the Villa. We had some run ins with the Cov fans at the old ground but the stuards were the worst. You only had to look the wrong way and out you went. It means a lot more to them than it will ever do to us.

• 1 month later...

I am actually jealous that Blues get to play Coventry again next year (not that I'd want to be in the Championship.)

I really hope we draw them in the Cup.

Villa-Cov is clearly bigger than Villa-Wolves, and probably on a par with Villa-Albion.

When Blues do play Cov next season though, you can bet that SOTV will be the chant of choice...

I am actually jealous that Blues get to play Coventry again next year (not that I'd want to be in the Championship.)

I really hope we draw them in the Cup.

Villa-Cov is clearly bigger than Villa-Wolves, and probably on a par with Villa-Albion.

When Blues do play Cov next season though, you can bet that SOTV will be the chant of choice...

Did your daddy touch you in "secret" places ?

• 3 weeks later...
Coventry City will be the Championship`s longest serving club next season following the relegation of Preston North End, the 2011/12 campaign being their 11th in a row in the second tier of English football.

Pretty sure I heard a stat saying that Coventry were the only club in the Football League in recent years to have NOT finished in the top 6 or the bottom 6 of the league - the definition of mid-table obscurity.

10 years in the Championship and all because of us :lol:

EDIT: Coventry's last 9 seasons in the Championship

2002/03 - 20th

2003/04 - 12th

2004/05 - 19th

2005/06 - 8th

2006/07 - 17th

2007/08 - 21st

2008/09 - 17th

2009/10 - 19th

2010/11 - 18th

Stat must be they're the only club never to finish in the top 7 in recent seasons?

Â