How big a derby is Coventry for us Villa fans?

TRS-T

Coventry give you an allocation of over 6000 tickets in the league at the Ricoh.

Let's hope we draw them in the FA Cup.

**** hell! I didn't know that.

Had to laugh the other week when they were on the news, fans in the ground fighting the stewards cos they were trying to put up a banner in protest of SISU or whatever it is :lol: It's really harsh, and I shouldnt laugh, but the sight of that steward rolling down the steps...oh man

My grandad has been a Sky Blue ST holder for nigh on 20 consecutive years - until this season. He has pretty much given up on the club.

Yeah, Leeds and Leicester took like 6,300.

Good view of Leicester fans

Also I don't understand why the stewards are allowed to confiscate banners.

What happened to free speech?

Like when that "Had Enough, Houllier Out" banner against Wolves was removed by the stewards.

It wasn't really offensive or anything, just an opinion shared by a lot of fans at the time...

They don't even feature on my radar... I have absolutely no feelings about Coventry at all. To hate them, I would have to firstly recognise them as being remotely worthy to be considered a rival to Villa.... and I just don't.
IIIIIIIIIIS... The Right Answer.

Agree with that Eames, The feeling is not reciprocated though. A mate of mine from work is a Cov fan, he has a lad and put a picture of him on facebook playing football, a bit of 'office banter' I said "you should get that lad a Villa shirt and he'll really look the part then", his missus then commented below a right tirade of abuse at me :lol:

To this day I still don't know why they dislike Villa so much. Must be jealousy..

It goes back way, way before the relegation.

And it's always been the same - the thing that makes them hate us the most is the fact that we don't care enough about them to hate them back.

I love it when I run into a Cov fan, always comedy gold.

• 6 months later...

I'll never forget us beating them to help them on their way down.

I was on a camp site in Australia trying to listen to 5 live on a portable radio in the early hours of the morning excited at relegating the side I'd no reason to dislike but a bunch of fans I'd grown to hate.

At 2-0 down I gave up, threw the radio out of the tent into the dark and went to sleep. Two days later someone spotted my Villa shorts and says "I bet you are pleased with the result the other day" laughing, I told him to **** off at which point he looked at me funny before going on to explain what had happened. Never did find the radio. :)

As for the dislike Mike is correct it goes way back before we helped them down. It goes back to years of away trips to their old ground, to them thinking we were local rivals and hating us even though we weren't arsed about them. It goes back to many horrible away days, to fights outside the ground, to being chased through the streets of Coventry and countless incidents I witnessed first hand.

I was delighted to see them fall from the PL, I don't take any pleasure from them dropping another division but then I don't have much sympathy either.

That's not actually true Dan.

lSUqe.png

This is the table after the game where we beat them 3-2. If they had won at Villa Park they would have had 36 points and still been able to catch Middlesbrough on the final day of the season. They would have needed at least a 25 goal swing, which would have meant a club record win for Coventry and a club record defeat for Middlesbrough, but mathematically they would not have been relegated. Derby winning at Old Trafford did not relegate Coventry, Paul Merson's goal did.

That's not actually true Dan.

lSUqe.png

This is the table after the game where we beat them 3-2. If they had won at Villa Park they would have had 36 points and still been able to catch Middlesbrough on the final day of the season. They would have needed at least a 25 goal swing, which would have meant a club record win for Coventry and a club record defeat for Middlesbrough, but mathematically they would not have been relegated. Derby winning at Old Trafford did not relegate Coventry, Paul Merson's goal did.

Haha, semantics! 25 goal swings aside the draw would have relegated them so JPA actually relegated them^^^^

It goes back to years of away trips to their old ground, to them thinking we were local rivals and hating us even though we weren't arsed about them. It goes back to many horrible away days, to fights outside the ground, to being chased through the streets of Coventry and countless incidents I witnessed first hand.

This. Was never a nice place to go (apart from convenience), always had to endure the walk back to the station after the game with their lot picking off anyone wearing colours.

They seemed to really hate us for some reason and over time I responded in kind. I guess there weren't many other regular derbies around, in the 90's at least, so it grew from there on both sides. Nothing like the rivalry with Blues but there was definitely an additional edge to Cov games.

Just for the record, Highfield Rd was an absolute shithole as well.

As not a local fan ive never had a grudge against them, used to always respect how they and Southampton managed to scrape survival most years.

could say Wigan has replaced them as that team :P

Â