Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

De Jong was an expensive purchase think it was 16Million odd, however Kompany was a superb buy for 8Million or so.

Man City could've got De Jong for free at the end of the season (he was in the last year of his contract) but instead chose to buy him for £18m in the January transfer window.

Shows how rich they are really...

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

De Jong was an expensive purchase think it was 16Million odd, however Kompany was a superb buy for 8Million or so.

Man City could've got De Jong for free at the end of the season (he was in the last year of his contract) but instead chose to buy him for £18m in the January transfer window.

Shows how stupid they are really...

Fixed :)

Hamburg must have been laughing all the way to the bank

Mainly down to knowing there would have been a queue of clubs after him in the summer.

and they were in desperate need of a defensive cm at the time, it was a real weak spot in their team, i think he's been a huge success since he went there, every time i watch him, he impresses me

There was 18 months left on his contract.

I'm pretty sure there wasn't, pretty sure they'd signed him when he was in his final 6 months.

I'm pretty sure there wasn't, pretty sure they'd signed him when he was in his final 6 months.

Reports state he signed a four and a half year contract with Hamburg in January 2006, so he would've been tied to them until summer 2010. Though just done some checking and apparently there was a release clause that would've enabled him to leave summer 2009 for the rather arbitrary sounding figure of £2.3m. Go figure.

I'd be upset with Hughes, we can do better. Im sure players like him and its good he gets on with Tevez and Robinho... but we wont have the wages to attract players of this calibre no matter how much they like Hughes.

We dont have an enormous amount of money to spend but enough to sign some quality players and a few bargains. Sounds like Moyes written all over it. We have three things he hasnt managed to get at Everton - Good wide men/wingers, A great goalscrorer and some money. Now if we can coax him here to get the defence and bits of the midfield sorted we'll be aces.

No-one's expecting Tevez or Robinho, some of the signings he has made have been very good. De Jong, Kompany, Bentley, Samba, Dembele. So looking at those players he does know how to spot them and he's making Sidwell look good but hey i wouldn't want Ginge back here.

I'd be upset with Hughes, we can do better. Im sure players like him and its good he gets on with Tevez and Robinho... but we wont have the wages to attract players of this calibre no matter how much they like Hughes.

We dont have an enormous amount of money to spend but enough to sign some quality players and a few bargains. Sounds like Moyes written all over it. We have three things he hasnt managed to get at Everton - Good wide men/wingers, A great goalscrorer and some money. Now if we can coax him here to get the defence and bits of the midfield sorted we'll be aces.

I think Hughes has proved that he doesnt need a load of money - Santa Cruz for £3.5m and Samba for £500k suggests he can spot a bargain

You are being unfair on Hughes with that post. MH does have the ability to scour Europe for players, and he also proven that he can grab young British talent in the past. In terms of the transfer market he is very able to attract good quality with the budget he is likely to be given here.

Hughes, for me, would be the obvious safe choice. Moyes, slightly more exciting, but not much. We need an exciting appointment. Whether we love him or hate him now, MON being given the job was exactly that. It breathed a new life into the club at the time when we were getting Randy et al onboard. It gave us the sense that things might change for the better. Doug and DOL were gone, this was going to be a new era.

However, once MON decided to walk, Randy was left with few options (Im still convinced to this day that he wanted Hughes before he went to Fulham), and we were greeted with Mr Houllier. Something of a 'meh' appointment.

For me, Hughes falls into the 'meh' category aswell. Its the sort of appointment we all expect the board to make.

Given how dreadful this season has been, we need another breathe of fresh air. We need a managerial appointment that gets the buzz back around Villa Park and amongst ourselves as fans.

Think of the feeling when we signed Darren Bent. This place went into meltdown. It was fantastic. For me, our next manager needs to be able to emulate that feeling again, and I personally don't think Hughes would bring that.

I am not too bothered about having a "name"; we are at the stage where we need to have a long term plan with a manager, ideally somebody who can build something here and be successful in the future.

I am not too bothered about having a "name"; we are at the stage where we need to have a long term plan with a manager, ideally somebody who can build something here and be successful in the future.

very much agree