Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

Pretty sure Harry was only the first Englishman to manage in the Champions League (or maybe CL last-16?)...

Howard Wilkinson, Bobby Robson, Ray Harford, Stuart Baxter(!). If Redknapp had been the first he wouldn't have shut up about it. Of course, not all of those made the last 16.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno, you say that no foreign teams seek our management but they don't seek our players either.

English players don't play abroad.

English managers don't manage abroad.

Foreign players play in England though.

1) Wages

2) English teams have to have a certain number of Homegrown Players

3) Wages

4) Wages

5) Wages

Moyes would be my preference. I think we need a strong and experienced manager who would quickly show our senior players a bit of iron discipline. Moyes is a tough no nonsense manager who demands respect, and all our players already know that. Plus he has a knack of handling talented young players very well. Randy and Moyes could be a marriage made in heaven.

McClaren winning league with FC Twente - very impressive

Not that impressive as you might think. Fred Rutten was the one who built fc Twente. He took them from a lower midtable team to a champions league spot. McClaren just took it further with investment by the chairman. He still did a great job without a doubt, but Rutten did most of the donkey work.

OT...

TRS-T:

I think a lot of what you're talking about is to do with the F.A, and the infrastructure of coaching qualifications etc.

The current scheme is basically a money-making scam: to get a 'UEFA B' badge (the 3rd level) you have to pay £500odd quid to take the test. Supposedly this test has a very low pass rate, and a lot of good (albeit unattached) coaches end up being overlooked. Again, supposedly, those already attached to professional clubs have a much greater chance of qualifying. So basically, if you're some nobody, coaching a team of kids, you've got very little chance of climbing up the ladder. The F.A. are quite happy to take the money from the 'bottom-feeders' whilst higher-level coaching is a closed-shop.

Spain has well over 500 coaches with UEFA pro licenses, while England has around 150, despite our higher population.

quote="beasley14"]

Villas-Boas winning league with Porto - not that impressive

On for a treble in his 1st season. 131 goals, no losses in the league, not that impressive?

Deschamps winning league with Marseille - not that impressive

3 Trophies in 2 years at a club that has failed for the last 18 years, not that impressive?

I'd ignore what fat Sam says, he wouldn't win the double with those teams, and his own fans would hate him because his football is so boring. I would rather keep GH than have fat man Sam.

I think it will be Mark Hughes.

He has barely put a foot wrong in his managerial career. He has worked with Duune, Collins, Ireland and “he who should not be named” previously.

He may be the perfect fit for us and vice versa. He is the low risk low cost choice. Unless there is an outstanding candidate willing to join us then it’s Hughes all the way for me.

I just hope that the managerial situation is sorted asap!

Hughes would be the most boring manager we could appoint. We might as well label our club as "The Void" if that happens.

Strange day.

Steve agreeing with SGC.

Me agreeing with OnlyOne.

Fair enough but can you ever see Roman Abramovich appointing a British manager?

Seriously, how did Avram Grant get the Chelsea job?

Same with Arsenal? Can you see them appointing a British manager?

I can't.

Maybe Fergusons successor could be British but most reckon it'll be Mourinho.

At least Harry is at Spurs and we had Hodgson and now Dalglish at Liverpool which is good to see.

If we see English/British managers getting the top jobs in England, then that would also strengthen the case of having an English manager doing the England job.

Pretty sure Harry was only the first Englishman to manage in the Champions League (or maybe CL last-16?)...

They aren't getting great jobs because they aren't producing that great results. Like Trent said, you look at the best British managers, Ferguson, Daglish, Redknapp all at good clubs and doing well. The rest aren't really being a huge success. You have Moyes, well he's doing well and naturally has been linked with jobs such as Man United but still, in recent years, Everton have fallen out European places and therefore isn't doing a remerkable job as he once was.

Who else do you think should get jobs, Allardyce, Coyle, Hughes, Pulis, Bruce etc....what have they actually achieved? mid table?? they haven't excelled at their current job. Well I guess you could argue Stoke but let's be honest, no manager playing absolutely vile football is going to go to a top club.

Hughes was given a chance at City - failed

Hodgson was given at Liverpool - failed.

McClaren at England - failed...

so you can't say they aren't getting chances if they perform well.

Villa have probably the 7th/8th best squad in the league, why would we appoint a manager who can only achieve mid table with his other teams. A bit like Coyle, when he was 5th/6th in the league, he was a name touted about to be our next manager, since then, Bolton have gone off the boil and you've seen his name slowly fade away.

Redknapp was doing an excellent job with Portsmouth, one that was better than the likes of Portsmouth could achieve and he got a job at Spurs and performed and now he's being talked up for the England job. Hardly a bias is there? Natural progression.

Why would a team let's just say like Arsenal, appoint someone from England who has achieved nothing when they could appoint someone like a Hiddink, Ancellotti who have proven success around the world. You don't need to win things to be successful. If Coyle had finished 7th/6th with Bolton this and next year, there is no doubt he'd be talked about for the top jobs like England but simply he hasn't....no manager has out done himself this year.

Hughes is a good manager, no doubt about that, but I really dislike him. I hate the way he constantly blames officials and makes out that the whole world is against him.

Same goes for Pulis, Warnock and Fergie.

I still don't see what nationality has got to do with success? Arsenal didn't empoly Whinger because he is French so on and so forth! Clubs employ managers because of the management skills etc.

I think Chelski and ManC's have gone Italian for the European Club competitions and both feel that the continental approach should lead to cups wins in Europe? This has not worked thus far.

Hughes was given a chance at City - failed

Hodgson was given at Liverpool - failed.

McClaren at England - failed...

True, and the failures came around because of the intense pressure on those positions and none of the above had really worked under the mircoscope before. The same could be said of the likes of GT I in the England job the list goes on.

What a manager must do is fit the club from a character point of view therefore SIGN UP MOYES! Not because he is British but because he 'fits' our club. I couldn't care less if he was Nepalise, Australian, Greek, Italian or a Mongal he IMO has the character best suited to us.

What a manager must do is fit the club from a character point of view therefore SIGN UP MOYES! Not because he is British but because he 'fits' our club. I couldn't care less if he was Nepalise, Australian, Greek, Italian or a Mongal he IMO has the character best suited to us.

Not sure I follow tbh, in what respect does his character 'fit our club'? Not disagreeing necessarily, but I don't really understand where you're coming from.