Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

O'Neill was forced out by the fans. The voices of discontent grew pretty loud over the course of his last season.

Really? Thats funny because I was sure MON jumped ship days before the season was to start over transfer funds and being told to cut the wage bill etc etc, I dont ever remember the fans forcing him out. He threw his toys out the pram. End of.

That's exactly how I remember it. MON was copping lots of flak from the fans due to his standard March Misadventure, fans thought that we should be doing better and improving each season due to the amount of money spent and there was generally just an air of discontent. MON started looking for alternative employment during the season after moaning about the fans booing quite a few times and he was looking to get the Liverpool job. Randy took bad advice and tightened the purse strings in an attempt to rein in MON's supposed overspending that he himself had sanctioned and MON had a freddy. It's all fairly well documented.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

O'Neill was forced out by the fans. The voices of discontent grew pretty loud over the course of his last season.

Really? Thats funny because I was sure MON jumped ship days before the season was to start over transfer funds and being told to cut the wage bill etc etc, I dont ever remember the fans forcing him out. He threw his toys out the pram. End of.

That's exactly how I remember it. MON was copping lots of flak from the fans due to his standard March Misadventure, fans thought that we should be doing better and improving each season due to the amount of money spent and there was generally just an air of discontent. MON started looking for alternative employment during the season after moaning about the fans booing quite a few times and he was looking to get the Liverpool job. Randy took bad advice and tightened the purse strings in an attempt to rein in MON's supposed overspending that he himself had sanctioned and MON had a freddy. It's all fairly well documented.

I agree with you about the Randy and MON disagreement, like you say it's been fairly well documented, but I think MON still had a large percentage of the fan base behind him.

Randy didn't take bad advice. He finally insisted on implementing the instructions that he had given to Mon much earlier, "cut this outrageous wage bill before you seek to add salaries to it again." Mon considered this to be an unacceptable intrusion on his ability to manage and left in a huff. (imo of course) Randy will be all the wiser for this experience when he appoints this manager.

At least Hughes knows the league, knows about Villa's recent history etc. I think he'll be solid. Possibly fighting for that 6th position. Randy will HAVE to back him with funds to justify changing Manager, I hope.

If the board hire Hughes, then they've proven me right. No ambition whatsoever.
Oh come on. I wouldn't be that happy if Hughes was appointed but at least give him a chance.

Not when there's better options out there. The whole thing would be a farce.

I'm kind of hoping that Ancelotti in on our radar as Mat Kendrick stated should be the case. But, I can't help thinking that Hughes is definitely the man Randy wants after missing out on him last August.

I personally don't think it would be a backwards step and he would have my full support obviously. Goes without saying! I just hope if Hughes is the man that is chosen; that is given the full backing.

If the board hire Hughes, then they've proven me right. No ambition whatsoever.
Oh come on. I wouldn't be that happy if Hughes was appointed but at least give him a chance.

Not when there's better options out there. The whole thing would be a farce.

I don't agree with OnlyOne much and maybe what he said is a little stern but I really don't rate Hughes at all either and I would be incredibly disappointed if we didn't at least talk to Ancelotti or other higher profile managers available.

Whoever becomes boss I will give him time and support but I can't say I'd be particularly thrilled to see Hughes as our manager. He's not a big enough statement of intent for me and I'm not thrilled by his transfer policy (see Sidwell). He seems like a good motivator though, we could do worse for sure but a bit of a let down if it's true.