Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

Well better than playing like a crock of shit all season?

So this season has become your standard for what we usually do? Or is it that you'll be happy with anything just so long as it's in some way better than this season? Me, I'd rather be ambitious and try to get somewhere. I'm not convinced that Moyes doesn't have the same glass ceiling that MON had.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Well better than playing like a crock of shit all season?

So this season has become your standard for what we usually do? Or is it that you'll be happy with anything just so long as it's in some way better than this season? Me, I'd rather be ambitious and try to get somewhere. I'm not convinced that Moyes doesn't have the same glass ceiling that MON had.

Well I was thinking of the standard of management we have had this season under our current incumbent?

Plus Moyes had done what MON couldn't do and broken into the top 4 with Everton on one occassion with far less funds than MON had at his disposal? Of all the names realistically banded about I think Moyes is head and shoulders above the other candidates? Will he win us the league I am not so sure but IMO he will out acheive GH and MON and I would be happy with that.

Me, I'd rather be ambitious and try to get somewhere. I'm not convinced that Moyes doesn't have the same glass ceiling that MON had.

Well he's given hints of it by breaking that glass ceiling on a limited budget. It's a different premiership now, of course, which is why I think he could see us, with a bit more money behind us, as a better vessel for the Champions League. Who do you think we could bring in that doesn't have this glass celing? You can't be telling me that Mark Hughes has displayed such exceptional prowess.

I'm not convinced that Moyes doesn't have the same glass ceiling that MON had.

Me either but I think he has earned the right to be given a chance with a club that has a bigger budget. He's shown he's good in the transfer market and with a bigger squad he might just be able to get us competing for top 4. Which is presumably the aim for us.

Well he's given hints of it by breaking that glass ceiling on a limited budget. It's a different premiership now, of course, which is why I think he could see us, with a bit more money behind us, as a better vessel for the Champions League. Who do you think we could bring in that doesn't have this glass celing? You can't be telling me that Mark Hughes has displayed such exceptional prowess.

I'm personally in favour of getting Moyes but isn't the limited budget abit of a myth? I'm not sure but hasn't he spent a fair amount but it just goes a bit under the radar.

It's complicated. Do I think Moyes would be a good appointment? Yes, probably. Would he excite me? No, because I pretty much know what's ahead of us while he's here. He has worked with a limited budget at Everton and has proved that he's very good at that. But it does not automatically follow that someone who can work on a shoestring will improve his results proportionately with an increased transfer budget.

Working with money and achieving the increased expectations, consistency and league positions that come with spending that money is not straight forward just because someone has previously over-achieved without it. Of course he could excel with a bigger budget and in his defence he has never been given that opportunity to do so. I'm just having reservations about whether I think he would be one of those managers who can make the next step up or whether; like MON; he can achieve X results irrespective of budget, but never more than that.

But it does not automatically follow that someone who can work on a shoestring will improve his results proportionately with an increased transfer budget.

Roy Hodgson, to illustrate your point. Granted, Liverpool's owners at that time weren't throwing it around stupidly, but he still had good money to work with.. he bought Paul Konchesky and was trying to sign the likes of Scharner and Anton Ferdinand. In many ways they are different markets, Hodgson (and Moyes) knows the market of 'decent players at fair prices', but it's an entirely different market to the calibre of players that will break the top 4.

Are we in a different market to Everton though? No, I don't think so. I think Moyes would be excellent here, but it would probably be a better appointment for Randy Lerner than it will be for us fans, as Moyes simply won't spend as much as someone like Benitez, who will probably make us a slightly better team than Moyes would, but for several tens of millions more.

What class player (for example) on the continent is gonna want to sign for Moyes at a mid-table club? He may be a respected name in Britain but overseas he would be just another British manager trying to reach the big time.

We need a big named manager that can attract and work with the type of players that can take us to the next level.

Moyes,Hughes,Coyle,Lambert they will be no different to MON and end up just signing the likes of the Wayne Bridges and Scott Parkers of this world.

Houllier is the man to take us forward, he has the connections and the name to attract the calibre of player required to get into the top 4.

What class player (for example) on the continent is gonna want to sign for Moyes at a mid-table club? He may be a respected name in Britain but overseas he would be just another British manager trying to reach the big time.

We need a big named manager that can attract and work with the type of players that can take us to the next level.

Moyes,Hughes,Coyle,Lambert they will be no different to MON and end up just signing the likes of the Wayne Bridges and Scott Parkers of this world.

Houllier is the man to take us forward, he has the connections and the name to attract the calibre of player required to get into the top 4.

Cant agree, he's spent most of the season trying to keep us out of the bottom 4, never mind the top 4.

Frankly, a season up upper/mid table mediocrity would be a start.

What makes you think Houller is the man to get these players??. Your off your head if you think he'll get these players, and even more mad if you think he'll get us near the top 8 never mind the top **** 4. He's a useles manager that had his time with Liverpool years ago.

What makes you think Houller is the man to get these players??. Your off your head if you think he'll get these players, and even more mad if you think he'll get us near the top 8 never mind the top **** 4. He's a useles manager that had his time with Liverpool years ago.

I think he is highly reguarded by many world class players both at home and on the continent. He has had massive influences on the type of calibre player's careers that end up playing at top clubs. Players like Toulalan, Malouda, Benzema, Gerrard are just a few that have graced the big stage that he had big influences on.. Words are that there are another batch of class players behind all these that Houllier is well aware of and has the pull to sign. Maybe M'Vila, M'Bengue etc? I dont know.

Only a couple a days ago we have McAllister getting all excited in the press saying that big things are going to happen and there's people/players we want to bring in.

Houllier has moved on since Liverpool and Lyon, does he not get the inside info at the French Football Federation about raising talents? Isnt/wasny he something to do with Clairfontane?

I would hate to throw away a huge opportunity for Villa to reach the big time.

I think he is highly reguarded by many world class players both at home and on the continent. He has had massive influences on the type of calibre player's careers that end up playing at top clubs. Players like Toulalan, Malouda, Benzema, Gerrard are just a few that have graced the big stage that he had big influences on.. Words are that there are another batch of class players behind all these that Houllier is well aware of and has the pull to sign. Maybe M'Vila, M'Bengue etc? I dont know.

Only a couple a days ago we have McAllister getting all excited in the press saying that big things are going to happen and there's people/players we want to bring in.

Houllier has moved on since Liverpool and Lyon, does he not get the inside info at the French Football Federation about raising talents? Isnt/wasny he something to do with Clairfontane?

Jam tommorow mate.

the £24m spent on bent looks a good investment. - but thats about it. Houllier weakness at Liverpool was his transfer dealings - and willingness to throw massive amounts of money on french youth players - where are they now ?

Jam tommorow mate.

the £24m spent on bent looks a good investment. - but thats about it. Houllier weakness at Liverpool was his transfer dealings - and willingness to throw massive amounts of money on french youth players - where are they now ?

I again agree with you...However would you not think Houllier's weakness in that area has been some-what improved since his Liverpool days? Houllier since Liverpool has worked very closely with some of France's raising talents,where this wasnt the case when he was Liverpool manager.

Houllier could maybe know the next Essien, Henry, Evra etc that are coming through the ranks in France, more so that he did in his Liverpool days?

ss_villa895 stevie southern

Moyes will be villa manager in summer, thats off an everton player and a well respected member of the squad, if available he wants it.

That was just posted on Twatter, most likely BS...Asking him how he's heard this, will post reply.

ss_villa895 stevie southern

Phil neville, joiner i know does a lot of work for him, there supposed to have father son relationship. Neville n moyes.

That was his reply when asked how he knew that.

Jam tommorow mate.

I again agree with you...However would you not think Houllier's weakness in that area has been some-what improved since his Liverpool days? Houllier since Liverpool has worked very closely with some of France's raising talents,where this wasnt the case when he was Liverpool manager.

Houllier could maybe know the next Essien, Henry, Evra etc that are coming through the ranks in France, more so that he did in his Liverpool days?

Sounds like a job description of a Director of Football to me which I think would be a superb use of his talents....but of course you need manager happy to work in that framework and that's the hard bit.