Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

As good as Ireland *could* be I think even in form [which i seriously doubt his ability to get back into] he isnt worth £68k a week in wages, thats the sort of wage we should be reserving for our top top players.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you'll find MON was quoted on that and didn't have a problem with it, not only that but he was also (which is often conveniently forgotten) offloading the players he no longer required, Shorey deal was done only two days before he resigned, Sidwell was going to Fulham until Hodgson went to Anfield and Hughes replaced him. Luke Young was then going to Anfield but didn't want to drop his wages. It's not like MON wasn't doing what was asked of him. There's something else to this story which has yet to emerge

We must remember MON was strongly rumoured to be leaving months before he actually did resign; he often teased in his press conferences about "the future" and discussing his future with Randy. Obviously making no guarantees that he will be remaining as manager in the future. And some of the players were expecting MON to leave, I think it was Bannan that made a comment about MON's departure in an interview. So it is fair to suggest it was in his mind long before any firm arrangements were made between him and the board. As for Martin's quotes. I seem to remember his quotes often being contradicting and ambiguous. It was hard to deduct what he meant at times, such a riddling person.

Also an interesting point I recall was when a poster attended a end-of-season event and reported MON said goodbye to everyone at this event, like he was due to leave in the near future, before his official departure. If I remember correctly he (MON) mentioned at this event the possibility of Mark Hughes being his successor at the club. And when Hughes was appointed Fulham's new boss, MON resigned shortly from his position at the club. Surely a coincidence? Or was it a conscious decision made before hand? You decide Bicks.

"Resigned" or forced out by circumstances changing, making him think his position was untenable i.e. constructive dismissal. The only speculation we have at this point has come from inside the club. There are two sides to every story and until the other side says something we have a completely unbalanced picture. Like I said I'd reserve judgement on that one until more of the story emerges, which it will do in the next few months I should imagine.

They may be more details to this situation. But at this moment in time, I stand by my knowledge and the football club I love and support. My firm view is: If you are not with us, you are against us.

Football Supporters need to realise that managers and footballers are human beings too and "doing it for the fans" these days is by and large an empty cliche, everyone is in this sport for their own ends. Whoever heard of someone not resigning from work over something that affected their ability to do their job because they were "thinking of the customers". Why would football be any different to that?
You do not need to lecture me about the ethics of the modern Footballer/Manager. They are, as you say, in the game for their own individual purposes. My original view was in respond to the vast majority of Villa fans who backed MON during his tenure as manager with terrific support, and all I said was it was a shame he did not reward those people that gave him that support.

You say supporters need to realise the ethics of those who participate in the game, but surely the same applies to those individuals? I remember MON's famous and insulting quote last year - "What more do they want?" - like he was doing us a favour being our manager. I guess he forgot briefly about his exceptional wage he was paid to be at this club.

It is they, more than anybody, that need to remember they would not have a career in the game if it was not for the supporters.

Wow does Hughes really play better footy than Moyes? Everytime i see Everton they play a much nicer a brand of footy than we ever did. Until we started to change a few things this season. Not saying Hughes' team dont play good footy just not sure its better than Moyes'. I'll be honest and say i haven't seen much of Fulham this year i miss the home game this year as i was on me stag weekend.

I went to the Fulham game. We didn't play well, no change there then!! Fulham were more than our equal that day iirc. It wasn't a great game but they came for a point and easily got it. It wasn't a great spectacle and I don't recall too many efforts on goal from us. I think Hughes would do a steady job, glass ceiling though, just like MON. I wouldn't be too upset with Randy if he appointed him though.

You did book it for then Beasley...Don't you fib now! You break all the rules my friend! I'm even gonna guess where you went - hmmm... Bulgaria?

I was there too Steve, I got bored so started playing papertoss on my iPhone. Was good though cuz I got a new high score if I recall. Something we had no chance of doing that day. Was crap.

Moyes, Benitez, Hughes for me - or a revitalised Houllier without Mcallister.

I would like us to gamble on André Villas Boas or Lambert, if we want to push for CL places then we'll need an up and coming manager rather than a Rafa whose best is behind him.

Villas boas wouldnt really be a gamble though he's probably already a step up from us.

Any young manager with no Premier League experience is likely to be more of a gamble.

If we got Moyes in, should we expect to start the season horribly every year and then play catch up as our form improves?

Yeah, with one striker up front and as many central midfielders as the manual allows.

If we got Moyes in, should we expect to start the season horribly every year and then play catch up as our form improves?

Yeah, with one striker up front and as many central midfielders as the manual allows.

Surely "One central midfielder up front and as many central midfielders as the manual allows"?

Surely "One central midfielder up front and as many central midfielders as the manual allows"?

My mistake. You are right.

Which would, funnily enough, suit us fairly well.

We have a fair few central midfielders knocking about at the club.

This is true!!

I'd expect to see a front 6 of Bannan, Delph, Gardner, Makoun, NRC & Jack Rodwell !

You did book it for then Beasley...Don't you fib now! You break all the rules my friend! I'm even gonna guess where you went - hmmm... Bulgaria?

I was there too Steve, I got bored so started playing papertoss on my iPhone. Was good though cuz I got a new high score if I recall. Something we had no chance of doing that day. Was crap.

Moyes, Benitez, Hughes for me - or a revitalised Houllier without Mcallister.

Haha i was gutted to miss it and it was only Nottingham. Was it a poor game then, they have picked up recently think they played well the weekend.

Well better than playing like a crock of shit all season? Plus Moyes can handle an injury crisis?

It's been a bizarre foible of his tenure at Everton. Has it happened at his other clubs? I'm not sure if would necessarily happen here were he to join, although the start of next season could be tough anyway given that we're going to need to sign an almost entirely new defence.