Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Theres a huge amount of work to be done by whoever comes in. We have the spine of the team to be replaced. I honestly can't see us top half next season unless we find a Gk, DCx2, LB, DM, and a partner for Bent. That lot won't come cheap and I'm not sure that Randy wants to dig that deep into his pocket.

An 'english type' manager might find us younger versions of Friedel, Dunne etc but will that make us any better than where we are now? Proven premier performers like Given, Samba might arrive but they won't make a huge difference to our prospects as they have been shown to be shy of top class or else we wouldn't get them in our current position.

A foreign manager might be the risk that does for us next season though, given the amount of upheaval required over the coming close season. If the new man doesn't hit the ground running we could be in very bad shape by Christmas.

Worrying times ahead but there is always the hope that we get it right this time.

One thing. How can we replace the team as much as we all expect and not run afoul the Financial Fair Play rules?

A lot of the players we all mention [me included!] could cost around £70m meaning we hope Randy gives us around £40m which would be pure debt (meaning around like £80m of debt - presuming we dont lower the 40m debt from last season)

Felix Magath is the man to sort these slacker players around and he would lose the dressing room but will show the team players from the dossers. Same for Louis Van Gaal

Surely the financial fair play rules only count if we are in Uefa competitions?

Therefore, it's irrelevant how much we spend on transfers in the summer as we are not in Europe but the important thing is ensuring that we sort out wage budget out so that if we do find ourselves back up the league next season we meet the criteria for the following year.

We need Moyes or Hughes to come in. Either would be excellent and would really sort our squad out.

Hughes hasn't penned a new deal yet.

I wouldn't be too disappointed with Sparky. I mean Fulham spanked I think it was Sunderland 3-0 away from home yesterday. He has got them organised and playing. I think Fulhams squad, ground and etc are inferior to ours and he is looking good to finish in the top 10 with such a poor start too. I think he could do a good job here. Drawing is better then losing which this year we've done a lot of.

Moyes or Hughes would be great. It increasingly looks like it could be Hughes and I think it would be a good match if he came here. Sparky doesnt suffer fools and he'd soon shape that shower of shite up. Having said that half of them are down the road anyway.

If this umpteenth defeat (and humiliation: you can't lose 11 against ten with such an average team) can have a sense, it is that there was the risk that, after three positive results against poor and not motivated teams, many forgot the awful season that we had and were going to concede credit to the manager, wheras his failure is now well clear.

Thanks God we are 90% safe (and beating Wigan we shall definitely).

And thanks God we have a great club and a great President.

Now we need to turn the corner.

A bit of fresh air, please.

Lambert. Moyes, Hughes, Zola, Ancelotti or Coyle would be more than welcome.

Horrible play on words but Houllier has to be a dead man walking as far as the manager's job is concerned. Its simply inconceivable that he continues if his health is not good. I'm not a particular fan (now) but he's a decent bloke and he should look after himself. The club are making noises towards him carrying on simply to dampen down speculation.

As for the replacement both Hughes and Moyes would be good shouts IMO as we need someone to organise the players. Everytime I have watched Villa this season at some point in the game I have seen disorganisation. I hate to say it but that was MON's strength.

Properly organised with a clear out of the dead wood and the money from the inevitable departure of Young and a little bit extra cash without breaching any fair play rules I think we will be OK.

The biggest challenge for the club is making the right appointment and they have to recognise that may involve poaching a manager from another club.