Alan Hutton

Rich_D

Whilst Hutton hasnt been brilliant by any means, I find it odd and sad how the tackle he put in on Long is getting so much attention. The laws of the game have changed and some refs may have got a yellow out and some over the top refs may have got a red out. But my point is that I remember when the crowd used to love a player going in hard and committed like that. It was risky with the modern laws of the game but to me it was just a very good hard tackle and just because he isnt flavour of the month he is getting abuse for it. Its a shame the game doesnt have more players that will go in for a crunching tackle rather than be afraid they may mess their hair up.

Just read this, and totally agree. If Martin Laursen had of done that we'd still be giving applause now for his commitment.

Sort of. laursen would have been applauded because he had already racked up so many brownie points that a bad challeneg can be overlooked and turned into a good one in the fan's eyes. Whichever way you look at uit it was a poor challenge. An old fashioned one where a defender goes througha forward. The sort iof challenege that used to break bones and put players out for a long time. That's why it was outlawed.

It was a very poor challenege. i'm not sure about it beuing a red. In Europe it would have been. A yellow here. But if a red was given I would have been peed off but recognise that it was a 50-50 decision.

No way it was a sending off; he got the ball first. It was a yellow for the recklessness and danger of the tackle. Nothing more. That said, he looked woeful. He needs to work on his final ball as he usually gets into good positions bombing forward from the back.

I don't think it was even a foul. The ball was loose and nearer to Hutton who played the ball in midair onto the oncoming Long whose momentum caused him to flip over, and the ball went out for our throw. Hodgson then decided to make it the focal point of his post match interview to deflect any debate on the ridiculous Herd sending off and Olsen's part in it.

Whilst Hutton hasnt been brilliant by any means, I find it odd and sad how the tackle he put in on Long is getting so much attention. The laws of the game have changed and some refs may have got a yellow out and some over the top refs may have got a red out. But my point is that I remember when the crowd used to love a player going in hard and committed like that. It was risky with the modern laws of the game but to me it was just a very good hard tackle and just because he isnt flavour of the month he is getting abuse for it. Its a shame the game doesnt have more players that will go in for a crunching tackle rather than be afraid they may mess their hair up.

Just read this, and totally agree. If Martin Laursen had of done that we'd still be giving applause now for his commitment.

from what i saw whitehead did the same thing to arteta yesterday too but arteta jumped out the way and avoided injury, it would be interesting to see the opinion of that tackle if long hadnt been injured or if we hadnt had one of the worst red cards i for one have ever seen

its a bit of a witch hunt

big clubs like spurs don't get rid of quality players, unless their hand is forced i.e. a huge bid comes in, that's why they sold hutton, he is an average player at best

Kevin-Prince Boateng?

Says all about your and your understanding really.

The tackle was mistimed, aggressive and offensive. It warranted a red card, however the referee did not even give a yellow because he did not see it properly. That was Hutton's comfort all day.

but to me it was just a very good hard tackle and just because he isnt flavour of the month he is getting abuse for it. Its a shame the game doesnt have more players that will go in for a crunching tackle rather than be afraid they may mess their hair up.

**** ignorant stuff you are coming up with here. If that was a good tackle, I wonder what you call harsh and over the top. With tackles like that being allowed there would be broken legs all over the pitch and the "tough" guys a la Barton and Henry would win over Nani, Nasri and Silva.

No matter what you might think, the tackle was ugly and the only right outcome was a straight red card. We were lucky.

Says all about your and your understanding really.

The tackle was mistimed, aggressive and offensive. It warranted a red card, however the referee did not even give a yellow because he did not see it properly. That was Hutton's comfort all day.

but to me it was just a very good hard tackle and just because he isnt flavour of the month he is getting abuse for it. Its a shame the game doesnt have more players that will go in for a crunching tackle rather than be afraid they may mess their hair up.

**** ignorant stuff you are coming up with here. If that was a good tackle, I wonder what you call harsh and over the top. With tackles like that being allowed there would be broken legs all over the pitch and the "tough" guys a la Barton and Henry would win over Nani, Nasri and Silva.

No matter what you might think, the tackle was ugly and the only right outcome was a straight red card. We were lucky.

Wow

Thanks for clearing that up then, i forgot you are the only person on here who can be right.

As an aside I think Aston Villa have a netball team if you want to start watching a non contact sport.

Oh and what does "says all about your and your understanding really" mean? I'm sure it makes sense and you are probably right but as i'm ignorant can you explain?

You can't make a tackle like that anymore. Don't get me wrong, I loved it, I've nothing against Long so didn't enjoy it for that, but more that that's the kind of thing that the crowd always used to love in a defender, gets you on your feet. But the game today isn't going to stand for that kind of tackle week in week out, it was aggressive and dangerous. He was lucky to stay on.

I think thats the first thing I've seen Hutton do that I've liked. Typically it's something that in any other game would have seen him walk... figures.

I think initial reactions count for a lot in football, and having been sat in the lower holte, towards that end of the pitch, I'd have been very surprised to have seen him walk for that. Don't think it was a red any more than Herd's was.

Oh and what does "says all about your and your understanding really" mean? I'm sure it makes sense and you are probably right but as i'm ignorant can you explain?

Your understanding of the game of football, since you clearly encourage the use of challenges like that.

As an aside I think Aston Villa have a netball team if you want to start watching a non contact sport.

Lame attempt man, seriously. And also incredibly predictable. I have nothing against a hard and fair tackle, but there is a fine line. There is a reason why you very seldom see Terry, Rio, Vidic and Kompany (no pun intended) do stuff like that. It happens of course, but they usually get red-carded when they do.

Your understanding of the game of football, since you clearly encourage the use of challenges like that.

Lame attempt man, seriously. And also incredibly predictable. I have nothing against a hard and fair tackle, but there is a fine line. There is a reason why you very seldom see Terry, Rio, Vidic and Kompany (no pun intended) do stuff like that. It happens of course, but they usually get red-carded when they do.

You mean like Vidic's challenge on Wednesday night, chest high with no ball in sight. The difference with Hutton's challenge is that Long was not in possession of the ball, it was closer to Hutton and moving towards him. He played the ball full on and it rebounded off Long whose momentum forced him into Hutton and he flipped over.

Well there are a lot of people around who obviously dont undertsand much about football then but at least you are around to clear it up.

big clubs like spurs don't get rid of quality players, unless their hand is forced i.e. a huge bid comes in, that's why they sold hutton, he is an average player at best

Kevin-Prince Boateng?

you've got me there gareth, i bow to your superior knowledge!

you've got me there gareth, i bow to your superior knowledge!

You may rise, subject. p0608.gif

At the end of the day, every team in the world has - at some point - flogged a player that hasn't been working out and that player's gone on to bigger, better things. We're not in an exclusive club here (though the shit we've been through season after season certainly makes it feel that way at times :)). Besides, there's no guarantee that player A remaining at club A instead of moving to club B would have had the same level of development. Shit just plain ol' don't work out some times.

Â