Jean II Makoun

dudevillaisnice

Regardless of how good he is or isn't, his competition for a central midfield berth currently looks like:

Ireland

Delph

Bannan

Herd

Clark

Gardner

... I say we give him another chance.

The problem with Makoun is that while he has certain strengths his weaknesses are such that you have to have players around him to make up for them and I'm personally just not sure he is good enough to warrant that.

That's a very fair comment. To be honest, i'm not sure either. I'd like him to have another go, but only if Lambert fancies him.

I'm also unsure on how he felt in the dressing room once Houllier left, I personally believe he wanted away from Villa. He didn't speak English, so could easily get quite isolated in the dressing room. I can see him being moved on in the summer.

The problem with Makoun is that while he has certain strengths his weaknesses are such that you have to have players around him to make up for them and I'm personally just not sure he is good enough to warrant that.

Yeah, that's a good way to sum it up. I'm not sure either, but would like to give him a chance.

Regardless of how good he is or isn't, his competition for a central midfield berth currently looks like:

Ireland

Delph

Bannan

Herd

Clark

Gardner

Plus whoever Mr Lambert brings in during the summer, of course. :)

Albeit he could dislodge Herd perhaps

No way.

He needs to play alongside someone like Herd. Just because he kind of looks like Essien doesn't mean they're the same players. His tackling is pretty terrible, he needs someone like Herd next to him to do that job.

Has to be 4-2-3-1 IMO.

I don't think our Center Midfielders are strong enough to play as two. Should play three in the center but give two license to go forward when we're in possession.

------ Herd ---- Makoun -----

Nzogbia ---- Ireland ----- Albrighton

Something like that anyway.... With Ireland tracking back where he can.

I like the look of that, alas Albrighton has so far confirmed the fears I had about him when he first broke through. For want of a better phrase, he's ten pence short. He's a good player, very fit, obviously well coached but he lacks an outstanding attribute. He's not genuinely quick, he's not particularly skill full and he's not a great passer/crosser of the ball. We need another winger desperately, IMHO.

I was wide eyed with excitement when I watched JDM's first match. There were glimpses of a real quality footballer. Nothing fancy, but some of his first time link up play was sublime. I hope Lambert can find a place for him and get the best out of him.

I think Makoun's a quality player and would work well with Herd and Ireland in the middle. I think for the starting lineup 1 quality winger, new fullbacks and a centre back is whats required to push the european places.

Has to be 4-2-3-1 IMO.

I don't think our Center Midfielders are strong enough to play as two. Should play three in the center but give two license to go forward when we're in possession.

Holman maybe instead of Albrighton?

Can we change the title of this thread? To just "Jean II Makoun", perhaps?

I keep thinking he's been sold when I see the home page...

I like the look of that, alas Albrighton has so far confirmed the fears I had about him when he first broke through. For want of a better phrase, he's ten pence short. He's a good player, very fit, obviously well coached but he lacks an outstanding attribute. He's not genuinely quick, he's not particularly skill full and he's not a great passer/crosser of the ball. We need another winger desperately, IMHO.

I was wide eyed with excitement when I watched JDM's first match. There were glimpses of a real quality footballer. Nothing fancy, but some of his first time link up play was sublime. I hope Lambert can find a place for him and get the best out of him.

Agree with this and it's a shame, when I first saw him I thought his crossing ability (which initially looked brilliant) would make up for his lack of pace - sort of a David Bentley who could give a shit.

Will do well at Championship level though out of sheer endeavour more than anything else.

Has to be 4-2-3-1 IMO.

Imagine that line-up with Johnson in place of Albrighton. I know it's wishful thinking but that would be a fearsome midfield 5.

Â