Jean II Makoun

dudevillaisnice

Poor against Wigan

Good against Utd

Good against Fulham

V Poor against Blackpool

To me that makes him just below average so far.

The guy can pass, no doubt about it, he cannot tackle though which is a problem when your touted as a defensive midfielder. 2 yellows and a red in 4 games having been withdrawn in one and faded in another.

A decent analysis of his performances can be found http://astonvillablog.com/makoun-review-what-to-make-of-up-and-down-start/

Edit: To add a quote from the above piece ;

more interesting is the fouls for/against ratio which the midfielder currently has. In 14 involvements in free-kick decisions, Makoun has won just 4, giving away 10, three of which have been punished by two yellow cards and one red, at a rate of 28.6%. His early disciplinary record, backed by these stats, would suggest that the middle-man has a way to go in his tackling and the stats related to tackling would add further substance to this theory.

For a primarily defensive playmaker, Makoun’s tackling is out of sorts thus far. In 30 challenge contests, Makoun has lost out on 21 occasions at a success rate of just 30%, not good. Compare this to the likes of Reo-Coker who partnered Makoun against Blackpool making 15 tackles and succeeding on ten of those occasion

I admit those specific stats showing one part of his game in one specific game look good (passing at Utd). Other stats (tackling) show him as poor.

So I stick by my analysis that so far he has been average, or taking into account the 3 match ban (of his own making), below average.

I am not saying he is or is not an average player, I am saying on his outings for Villa so far he has been average in his performances.

Great passers are ten a penny in Italy and Spain, it takes a lot more than passing to make a great player.

I was expecting a defensive midfielder, I don't think we've signed one but what we have signed is someone who can pick a pass. I agree I think he's been above average and I'm looking forward to seeing more of him along with someone who can do the tackling.

I was at the Fulham game and he was absolutely outstanding. I have no idea what people are talking about when they say he's been average.

Sure, he got a red against Blackpool; but that was on a shit pitch when nobody played well anyway. Also looked great at United too and obviously the stats speak for themselves.

Wigan game he did his job. All this after only just coming to the PL.

He's a beast.

Oh I am certainly looking forward to seeing more of him. In fact part of the point I was making was that we haven't really seen enough of him yet to make a judgement one way or the other.

There are mitigating circumstances to most sub par performances, doesn't change the level of performance though. If Collins was shit against Wolves and it came to light he'd drank eleventy pints of Stella the night before would it change the fact he had a shit game ? No, but there would be mitigating circumstances. He got a red card for a rash challenge, got sent off and a 3 match ban, in my book that's a bad day at the office regardless of how he was playing up to that point.

The post was more directed to those speaking of Makoun like the second coming of Merse and using him to prove how 'fantastic' GH is in the transfer window. He has proved nothing either way yet.

Not generalzing everybody here as im sure people come on both sides of this.

But for me, people who watched him / knew him as a player before we signed him are happy.

Those who expected a defensive midfielder because they had heard it on here are not happy.

He's been exceptional. The guy CAN tackle, he can play in a defensive role, he's just adjusting... takes more than four games. Ideally he is a central midfielder who mves the ball forwards though

Not generalzing everybody here as im sure people come on both sides of this.

But for me, people who watched him / knew him as a player before we signed him are happy.

Those who expected a defensive midfielder because they had heard it on here are not happy.

He's been exceptional. The guy CAN tackle, he can play in a defensive role, he's just adjusting... takes more than four games. Ideally he is a central midfielder who mves the ball forwards though

I think his tackling will come on leaps and bounds.

I'd never seen him, expected him to be a defensive midfield and then was surprised and happy to see he was more of a ball player, keeps the game flowing, not unbelievable range of passing but very good user of the ball. I think he's a class act personally and can only see him improving as he gets used to pace of English game, especially in defensive side of game, I think likes of Essien, who have come over here, have took a while to settle in, Essien was very rash first season but soon learned and is now (apart moments of madness) is extremely strong defensively and much improved to when he first came.

Precisely, Essien's entire first season was, by chelsea's standards anyway, rather poor. It seems mad to me that some of our fans are ready to write Makoun off after 4 games, Im not sure whether to blame this on a) stupidity or B) the fact we rarely sign people from abroad.

Makoun [AVFC.co.uk] : "In France, if you're sent off it's a one-match ban, with perhaps another match added in too. When I first heard it was three games (after he was sent off), I thought 'what, you're joking?"

thats ridiculous, he should have been aware of three match ban for a red card long before his first kick for Villa... i'm not saying its his fault but someone should explain that to him before.

He was also excellent against Wigan. Look at the post match thread if it's around and you'll see lots of wows and woos about Makoun there.

Kinda agree. He was great until he got booked, then it appeared he was so bothered about being sent off on his debut that the game began to pass him by (hence his substitution) but he did show enough in the Wigan game for me to think he is a class act.

I'll judge him at the end of next season though. So far he appears to be a player who is fantastic at playing a short first time pass, at keeping it simple and keeping the game ticking over. He rarely concedes possession, and he has good vision. He would be in my first XI if everybody is fit and available.

Â