415 members have voted

1. 1. Houlier - back him or sack him?

• Back him - he needs more time
    • Sack him - we don't have time

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The difference is they have their reserves on 20k whereas we have them on 40/50k

I cant imagine the likes of Bentley, Keane and Kranjcar being on 20k a week.

I think somebody needs a new calculator.

It's been done plenty of times, the financial records I believe are public, I'm sure in 09, it was like £10-11 million?!

Risso is the man you want for this.

It was interesting yesterday that we played like the Villa of the last 2 or 3 seasons. Pretty direct in our approach, hardly any passing it around at the back, no sideways/backwards passing for the sake of it. Our possession was well down on many games under Houllier but the possession we had been getting was in areas of the field where teams were happy for us to have the ball and piss about with it for a while anyway. We were also very much of the mind at the back that if in doubt **** it out or hoof it forward. Not pretty but can be effective.

Centre backs at fullback is very much recent seasons past as was Gabby out wide.

Maybe the penny is dropping with Houllier on how he needs to play to get the best out of these players.

The next few games will tell. He still as one of the worst first 15 game records of any Villa manager so a win on Wednesday is desperately needed to improve that and more importantly our dire league position.

It was interesting yesterday that we played like the Villa of the last 2 or 3 seasons. Pretty direct in our approach, hardly any passing it around at the back, no sideways/backwards passing for the sake of it. Our possession was well down on many games under Houllier but the possession we had been getting was in areas of the field where teams were happy for us to have the ball and piss about with it for a while anyway. We were also very much of the mind at the back that if in doubt **** it out or hoof it forward. Not pretty but can be effective.

Centre backs at fullback is very much recent seasons past as was Gabby out wide.

Maybe the penny is dropping with Houllier on how he needs to play to get the best out of these players.

The next few games will tell. He still as one of the worst first 15 game records of any Villa manager so a win on Wednesday is desperately needed to improve that and more importantly our dire league position.

well thats interesting, because Lee dixon on MOTD 2 made a specific illustration to say we didn't play like that last season when we lost 7-1 he made reference to how narrow we were as opposed to the width we employed on sunday. Admittedly I'm referiing to a direct comparison with the same game last year, when i think you are referring to generally.

I know what you are saying Mark and i tend to agree with the fullbacks they looked more robust, i thought Clark was very encouraging.... when Luke young played last season, albeit just back from a lay off.

I thought we passed and moved quite well at times too just a litle bit of poor control broke things down.

lets hope we can build on it.

First half we played decent stuff and Young in the hole is a very good move. Second half, it was all them, I think had the game been 1-1 the whole second half, possesion stats and so on would of looked a lot different. First half it was anyway.

We went back to some solidity at the back which was good with two strong full backs and weren't afraid to go direct to Heskey who won pretty much everything. It was a lot more like last year with just a few small changes and differences and that's how really it needs to be.

It was, perhaps, the defining moment of Houllier's season.

Far too early to say that. You may as well say the 4-0 at money citeh was the defining moment

I stated "perhaps", Richard! :?

Even with the possession stats, the BBC as it happens had us down ans 10 shots on target to their 10 shots on target, 5 shots off target to their 6 shots off target. Funny how these stats changed on MOTD. Yet it says to me that we were well in the game.

I think yesterday, Houllier got lots of tactics spot on. For example:

* Knowing that Chelsea would be very narrow and use their full-backs as wing-backs, so our wide men had to stick on their full-backs all the time. Downing on Cole: perfect match-up, and Gabby on Ferreira: easily beaten for pace.

* That meant our full-backs could stay on the front 2 wide men - Cuellar on Malouda and Clark on Anelka. Because of this we pretty much nullified both their wing-backs and front 2 wide men, leaving Dunne and Collins to only have to think about Drogba.

* It was then a fairly even match-up of Heskey and Young on Mikel, while Petrov and NRC had to pick up Lampard and Ramires.

So for me, he showed he knows exactly what he's doing tactically. He's come up against Carlo Ancelotti and held his own. The next test will be what he changes for the next game, because the team against Chelsea won't work as well against Sunderland, and there will be a more specific way to combat them.

This won't go down too well, but I honestly think he's the man to take us forward to the next level now. If he can get the team working for him every game AND get them starting to believe in their own ability a bit more then we really can be a dangerous team.

Dirk thats a good summary. Also i agree with AVFC-POB the possession would have been more even if it had stay 1-1 for longer its only because we were defending a lead. I thought we passed it around ok too.

True, CNT, I'm just taking umbrage with the fact Sunderland are "an easy three points" - two years ago, yes they were. Now? Solid team.

This won't go down too well, but I honestly think he's the man to take us forward to the next level now. If he can get the team working for him every game AND get them starting to believe in their own ability a bit more then we really can be a dangerous team.

I totally agree. Also get in some of his own players and I think we do have the right man and this is not based on one result, I think it just needs a mixture of young players and now with the experienced players coming back (now all back apart from Young and Delph) then he will start to find the right mix depending on each game......I hope so because I still believe he is the right man for the job longer term.

I'm pleased that the club have come out and backed GH today via Paul Faulkner. I think it settles things down a bit and we can focus on the football and climbing the table. I still want him to bring in a couple of players this window though. Really looking forward to the Sunderland game.

Â