Europe by car...

jackbauer24

Anyone had any experience of travelling around Europe by car?

My girlfriend and I are thinking of hopping across to Europe for a month in the car and trying to take in a few countries. Like the idea of doing it in the car for complete freedom but would pack a tent and take in cheap accommodation when possible as not rich!

Is this a complete pipe dream and there are zillions of hidden costs? Don't fancy the idea of trains and public transport partic.

Just any general advice would be appreciated. Thinking of doing in in June/July August.

We did something similar a few years ago. We found a cheap flight (to Krakow in our case) and picked up the hire car from the airport. Week later, dropped it back off at the airport and cheap flight home. We did parts of Poland, Slovakia and Czech Republic. I would recommend trying to book / research all of the cheap accommodation and route before you go but all the best with it - you'll have a great time.

EDIT: Oh and when you're over there and you do happen to find yourself in Poland, look out for the huge glass AK47 filled with vodka :)

EDIT 2: Oooohhh a hire car in your case might not be your best option as only just noticed you're thinking of a month. My mate however went travelling all over Russia. He bought a cheap banger when over there and basically left it there after his time was up and got a flight home :) Worth thinking about...

yup tons of advice. first give me a clue as to what size car you have and what countries you would like to see. also what tent do you have. These give me an idea on what space you have and what you can take. Biggest advice first if you can, go from mid june to mid july It will be good weather but outside the school hols when everything rockets in price. First though I have got to watch some cricket, so cant reply for a good few hours

PS do you shop at tesco?

I always wanted to travel Europe by car, but couldn't drive at the time and ended up doing it by coach, which was a nightmare as I had to wait days for the thing and it took forever to get places (15 plus hours to Prague) twas a big mistake. Car would be good.

I was going to say, Trekka's your man on this.

With that comment I assume you are

a) a returning naughty banned poster, or

B) a long time lurker

You seem to know everyone well, yet have only been on VT a few months.

/end Poirot mode

Is this a complete pipe dream and there are zillions of hidden costs? Don't fancy the idea of trains and public transport partic.

The main hidden cost will be corrupt police forces .. Keep sone euros to hand for on the spot fines , France you have to pay on the spot or they will produce a translated letter saying they have the right to confiscate your vehicle

If you are taking you own car then you need to adjust your headlamps with a little sticker thingy or if your car is new it may have a switch inside the bonnet , its also law to have a warning triangle and in some countries even a first aid kit

Check for road permit requirements , Hungary for example you require one for the motorways .. Cameras record the number plates so you will get a letter in the post

Some major cities have no car policies or require that you register your car with a hotel ,I got sent a fine from Florence fo such an offence , I binned it but in some cases they follow up with a court letter and refer it to UK bailiffs

I've driven thousand of miles around huge chunks of Europe so anywhere specific you have in mind send me a PM

yup tons of advice. first give me a clue as to what size car you have and what countries you would like to see. also what tent do you have. These give me an idea on what space you have and what you can take. Biggest advice first if you can, go from mid june to mid july It will be good weather but outside the school hols when everything rockets in price. First though I have got to watch some cricket, so cant reply for a good few hours

PS do you shop at tesco?

It's all very open at the moment, just an idea floating about.

Got a Renault Megane (the 'ass' car), haven't bought a tent yet. Just two of us and will take minimal with us, but plenty of space if there are essentials. Depending on work we would go before August certainly. Thinking of taking in France, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Germany, Switzerland and Italy (although missing Italy out this time round might be an option) but again - not fixed at all.

Just getting as much info as possible then will try to come up with a fairly strict itinerary which we will of course completely ignore....

I'd like to go around Europe but on the trains (Interrail looks good) as the car seems a bit of a hassle/too much work. Looking at this summer or next; would this be that much more expensive that going by car etc, particularly if looking out for overnight sleeper trains between cities?

I'd like to go around Europe but on the trains (Interrail looks good) as the car seems a bit of a hassle/too much work. Looking at this summer or next; would this be that much more expensive that going by car etc, particularly if looking out for overnight sleeper trains between cities?

Seat61.com is your friend

Personally I can never sleep on sleeper trains but then I'm not a great sleeper in my own bed either

Did a chunk of china and India in sleeper trains , if its cheap enough then pay the small premium and get your own berth , much as you hope they will never put you in a berth with fit nymphomaniacs :-(

I know some like to go native and chat to the locals etc on the train but you can walk around the train and do that in the dining car , when it comes to head down time you will appreciate having paid a bit extra

Did st Petersburg to Moscow by train and shared a cabin... 2 Russians decided to talk loudly to each other the whole journey :-(

Not a returning poster at all Rob, as POB will testify!

I've kept an eye on the site for about a month before I joined though and I'm a fast adapter. :D

I'd love to do this by car too and am thinking hard about the options right now. When we were over in Barcelona (as a few of you know) we did a last minute drive over the border to Perpignan and said next time out we need to do way more of that. Now we're considering costs, whether to hire a car once over the channel, how many to go with, etc etc. I'd love to do it in south america to be honest but that's another ball game.

One thing I noticed just going across the spain/france border was if you choose the toll road route it can get really expensive. If you go the coastal roads, you can get sick and fall off the edge :)

I'd love to do it in south america to be honest but that's another ball game.

by car ? you're a brave man

Lots of SA has a great coach network , really comfortable as well , reclining seats and tea and coffee on tap , let them do the driving and kick back and relax

I'd love to do it in south america to be honest but that's another ball game.

by car ? you're a brave man

Lots of SA has a great coach network , really comfortable as well , reclining seats and tea and coffee on tap , let them do the driving and kick back and relax

I'd get some advice off you first by the sounds of it though! Just the magic of it really. But if you think car is a bit too brave then I'm open to hearing the coach idea. I mean the reason the car appeals to me over the coach/rail in europe is getting off the beaten path and not being tied to schedules. But if it's a lot safer/better to trade that for the coach in SA then cool, I'm open to it!

Â