I come in peace - Spyin' Kop Article. Your input needed

MiguelCooper

Villa find themselves in 13th place in the Premiership. What do you think is a realistic target for Houllier in his first season.

As a target - top 6th, as a most likely - somewhere from 14th to 8th, given the circs - so many players out injured for long periods, new manager with old manager's squad and so on.

How do you feel Gerard Houllier has settled and what do you hope from him as a manager I'm not sure he's settled in that well, partly because he's been away from the UK for a few years, and thing have changed, partly because he has to form new relationships with players. He's made little attempt to communicate with fans, either.

Do you feel that Houllier can get the best out of Emile Heskey

He seems to, but wether that best is likely to be consistent performances is another matter - Emile seems injury prone and seems to need constant nurturing.

After Citeh came in and took two of your better young players what do you think needs doing to replace them. Is youth development an option or is the only way the transfer window. Youth development is something to be proud of at VP and personally I'd rather the likes of Barry Bannan and Marc Albrighton were given every chance to fill the boots of Barry and Milner, than us get in some Johnny foreigner with no attachment to the club. Those two, plus some others are also really good players

Do you feel that Robert Pires is an inspired signing or do you feel he is ‘over the hill’ I hope he helps the kids in training and such like, I doubt he'll be good enough to be able to play well with such a lack of pace - he seems unable to run.

Liverpool have a bit of “history” with regards to American owners. Villa have had Randy Lerner in since 2006. What positives and negatives do you feel he brings to the club. Randy's been absolutely brilliant. He's as good an owner as you could wish for. He's hardly put a foot wrong in any respect, and other than the departure/flouncing off of MO'N for reasons unknown, but in which it's possible he may hold some responsibility, I can think of no downsides at all.

I feel Villa fans are very lucky to be able to have contact and information from The General. How important for supporter/club development do you feel this has been and do you think it should be encouraged across other clubs Yes, it should be the norm, rather than a single exception. There's obviously a limit to the benefits - we're never going to get to know as much as we'd like on some things, but it's a big plus for both the Club and us fans.

Martin O’Neill left at a crucial part of the season and it seems since then he is constantly being linked with the Liverpool job by the media as soon as an opportunity arises. How do you feel he would do as Liverpool manager, given the current financial situation and also with funds available. He's superb at getting players generally perceived as not quite good enough to do better than people would expect, whether that's what you want, only you can say. His transfer record is mixed and he seems reluctant to use a large squad - all things that you might feel, with Europa League and the likes that are not ideal. But he'd get results.

How do you feel Roy Hodgson has done since taking the Liverpool job. Similar to Houllier (at VP) in a way - just OK. He needs time. He seems to have some players who are less than happy and on high wages.

Other than Gerrard or Torres who would you take from the Liverpool squad and why? Reina looks a good keeper, but there are no stand outs of the right (young) age.

Last season we had two good games together with Villa winning at Anfield and Liverpool winning at Villa Park. Both games had “talking points” in them and I feel this is always the way with our encounters. What do you expect from this game. Two average sides having a go. Likely to be decided by mistakes or if either of us can get our better, more experienced players to change the game - Gerrard, Torres, Ashley Young etc.

And finally what would you predict as a final score for our game? A home win, because we have so many injures and some woeful away form.

Villa find themselves in 13th place in the Premiership. What do you think is a realistic target for Houllier in his first season.

Probably anywhere in the top half for this season with the injuries we have had and the fact we have sold one of our better players. January transfer window will be key I feel.

How do you feel Gerard Houllier has settled and what do you hope from him as a manager

He has settled in well judging by some of his interviews. I hope that he can obviously take us forward but time will tell I guess.

He seems to be able to judging by Emile's pick up in form before he got injured. However we can't keep having him injured one week and playing the next as he won't be in any sort of form.

After Citeh came in and took two of your better young players what do you think needs doing to replace them. Is youth development an option or is the only way the transfer window.

Wouldn't call Barry young and he is miles past his peak now. We got the best years out of him and I don't think he will be in the Citeh team for much longer. I didn't realise just how much we'd miss Milner until he was gone. Especially his West Ham performance. There are no doubts we are in need of a central midfield player even before all the injuries. Youth development is great to a certain extent such as players like Bannan and Clark, but to move forward you need that mix of youth and experience and we need to bring in some new faces in Jan or the summer.

Do you feel that Robert Pires is an inspired signing or do you feel he is ‘over the hill’

Probably more the last option to be honest. No doubt he has the talent but I worry about his legs and how much he has left in the tank. Time will tell again with that one. Seems a sensible thing to do as we are outside the transfer window.

Liverpool have a bit of “history” with regards to American owners. Villa have had Randy Lerner in since 2006. What positives and negatives do you feel he brings to the club.

Randy has done brilliantly for the club since he took over. The fans are being able to have their say a lot more and he has supported the club with money the last 4 years. I've not got too many negative things to say about him as nobody will ever know what went on with him and our previous manager.

I feel Villa fans are very lucky to be able to have contact and information from The General. How important for supporter/club development do you feel this has been and do you think it should be encouraged across other clubs

I think it is great to have a board member in this position however questions should only be aimed about of the pitch matters that arise (and indeed that is encouraged when the general posts).

Martin O’Neill left at a crucial part of the season and it seems since then he is constantly being linked with the Liverpool job by the media as soon as an opportunity arises. How do you feel he would do as Liverpool manager, given the current financial situation and also with funds available.

I think we were O'Neill's level, I don't think he could have taken us any further but at the same time I couldn't see us going too far backwards under him. I think he would do a solid job at Liverpool, nothing spectacular.

How do you feel Roy Hodgson has done since taking the Liverpool job.

Poor start but it was always going to be difficult for him given the circumstances. I think Liverpool are in a period of transition at the moment but have some very talented players at the club at the same times.

Other than Gerrard or Torres who would you take from the Liverpool squad and why?

No doubts Reina. He is one of the top keepers in Europe.

Last season we had two good games together with Villa winning at Anfield and Liverpool winning at Villa Park. Both games had “talking points” in them and I feel this is always the way with our encounters. What do you expect from this game.

Not sure what to expect. Anything could happen in terms of result as is always the case when I try and predict our result.

And finally what would you predict as a final score for our game?

1-1. Went for the draw as I really don't know with this one. Depends which teams turn up so to speak.

Anywhere between 6-12.

How do you feel Gerard Houllier has settled and what do you hope from him as a manager I think he has settled well. I expect him to keep us as a upper mid table team, and im HOPING and praying he does keep trust in the youth, and doesn't completely change the team, just adds a few quality additions.

Do you feel that Houllier can get the best out of Emile Heskey Heskey isn't that young anymore and if we are playing with 1 up front it has to be gabby.

After Citeh came in and took two of your better young players what do you think needs doing to replace them. Is youth development an option or is the only way the transfer window. I love and am proud of our Youth developement. However a team of Barry Bannans need to be supplemented by quality players.

Do you feel that Robert Pires is an inspired signing or do you feel he is ‘over the hill’

With regards to playing a crucial playing role I think he is over the hill. However I think he is a fantastic signing because our youth players can learn a lot from him.

Liverpool have a bit of “history” with regards to American owners. Villa have had Randy Lerner in since 2006. What positives and negatives do you feel he brings to the club.

Positives, well he has spent A LOT of money, however you look at it and bought the fans closer to the club with things like the generals thread for example.

I feel Villa fans are very lucky to be able to have contact and information from The General. How important for supporter/club development do you feel this has been and do you think it should be encouraged across other clubs I think its extremely important. At the end of the day we are parting with a lot of hard earned money, we want to know what's going on from inside the club, not stupid pointless watered down press statements.

Martin O’Neill left at a crucial part of the season and it seems since then he is constantly being linked with the Liverpool job by the media as soon as an opportunity arises. How do you feel he would do as Liverpool manager, given the current financial situation and also with funds available. In my opinion Martins "gift" if you like is man management. He can make average players play very well. I'm not a big fan of him with regards to recruitment though. Unfortunately I dont think the best manager in the world could get Past Chelski, Arsenal and Man ure and with Man Citeh's spending Power is going to be a daunting prospect with little funds to get back in the top 4.

Too early to tell, judge him at the end of the season.

Other than Gerrard or Torres who would you take from the Liverpool squad and why?

Reina, one of the best keepers in the world, Friedel is aging and we need a replacement. Agger is a good defender but its injury prone, if he was fit id have him.. I;'d like Ryan babbel, i do think with a club behind him and fans supporting him whilst playing regular football he could fulfil his potential.

Last season we had two good games together with Villa winning at Anfield and Liverpool winning at Villa Park. Both games had “talking points” in them and I feel this is always the way with our encounters. What do you expect from this game. Bore draw!

And finally what would you predict as a final score for our game? 1-1 or 0-0

I think the top half is as much as we should be looking at - coming into the season it looked like there was a group of eight teams that were better than the rest which included us - I think that group has broken up a bit.

How do you feel Gerard Houllier has settled and what do you hope from him as a manager?

I think settling in has been very difficult, I'm not sure he's had a chance to play the same eleven twice yet and there have been times in his three months with us when the team in sick beds would beat the team on the pitch. He arrived to chaos and unfortunately still has most of it left.

As a manager, I don't think he's here for the long term and I don't see him giving us four seasons, but I think he's someone with a football philosophy who thinks a lot about the legacy he leaves a club. For Houllier I get the feeling that tomorrow is as important as today - that's very different for us and I suspect it's what got him the job.

Do you feel that Houllier can get the best out of Emile Heskey?

Yes. I'm not sure that it's worth it though.

After Citeh came in and took two of your better young players what do you think needs doing to replace them. Is youth development an option or is the only way the transfer window?

I think like all teams we need to look for players in whatever way we can find them. It's not easy to keep players when clubs offer the lure of the Champions league and it's not easy to replace them with the same quality either - we'll need to be both good and lucky.

Do you feel that Robert Pires is an inspired signing or do you feel he is ‘over the hill’?

For me, he's over the hill but we're down to the bare bones so who knows - personally I can't se anything coming of his time here.

He has been excellent for us, he's given the club a solid base and improved the way in which we do our business - he and his team have listened to us as fans and have changed some things on our opinions. Ultimately I don't think it matters where your Chairman is from; you either get a good one or a bad one and ours has integrity and character.

It's a shame that none of that really matters - only the size of their wallet.

I feel Villa fans are very lucky to be able to have contact and information from The General. How important for supporter/club development do you feel this has been and do you think it should be encouraged across other clubs?

I've been lucky enough to have been involved in this directly in the supporters consultancy meetings - it's been very positive and actual changes have taken place due to it. If I compare how I'm treated by Aston Villa Football Club to how I'm treated by Barclays, Powergen or BT, then I think there are good lessons for any business in the way the club have gone about things.

Martin O’Neill left at a crucial part of the season and it seems since then he is constantly being linked with the Liverpool job by the media as soon as an opportunity arises. How do you feel he would do as Liverpool manager, given the current financial situation and also with funds available?

I'm not sure what your current financial situation is - although I'm not sure it would make a lot of difference. I think he'd do as well with you as he did with us - in fact, I think he could take over Tranmere Rovers and do as well with them as he did with us. He has the rare ability to turn any group of players into one that can compete at a good level through graft, organisation and hard work - but I don't think he can coach a team to play with the quality required to take the next step.

How do you feel Roy Hodgson has done since taking the Liverpool job?

I like Roy, I think he's the perfect manager for you right now - he's solid, experienced and can keep you on an even keel. I don't know how far he can take you, but then I'm not sure where you see your current ambitions. Given time I think he'll do okay.

Reina - a quality keeper and I suspect I'm not the only person out there who would be interested in taking him from you.

Last season we had two good games together with Villa winning at Anfield and Liverpool winning at Villa Park. Both games had “talking points” in them and I feel this is always the way with our encounters. What do you expect from this game.

Not sure, neither team is on its usual footing and it feels like a gap year for both of us - we're not going to get in around Europe and you're not going to get into the top four - that might mean two relaxed teams and a really open exciting game, I've a horrible feeling it's more likely to mean two sets of tense players without the confidence to fly.

1-1.

Contrary to other posters, I'd like to say I still hate Liverpool Rafa or not, or Spurs doing well or not.

I was close to answering to your questions about Pool with a riff on 'I don't give a **** about them', but I played along.

;)

Rafa has gone. We dont hate you any more.

We don't need to hate Liverpool when Tottenham are doing well too. Especially with Redknapp in charge, he's more of a cocknose than Rafa.

Oddly I dont mind Spurs. In fact, I am enjoying seeing them do so well this season. Maybe when Redknapp tries to buy our captain and acts with as little class as Rafa did re: The Gareth Barry Affair™ I'll hate him, but I can forgive him having a hissy fit about the abuse he got from our fans just because we happened to be the first club he played after that Panormama show.

A realistic target would be to finish in the top half of the table, and good cup runs.

How do you feel Gerard Houllier has settled and what do you hope from him as a manager

I think GH is professional enough to settle in to do what he can with the current squad. It hasn't been easy for him to become used to the main first 11 because of so many injuries. I think this will change from january to may. I hope that he is given the means to quickly assemble a squad he feels is his in the summer and then we should be able to realistically expect him to achieve a top 6 finish and/or a cup

Yes, it seems this has begun to happen since he has been here. It will depend on how fit Heskey stays this season.

After Citeh came in and took two of your better young players what do you think needs doing to replace them. Is youth development an option or is the only way the transfer window.

Both. I think our young players look very promising

He's a bit too over the hill

I think he has injected a new vibrant energy into the club. Done a lot to improve the ground. Made new money available for MO'N to sign players. Since having Ellis removed it has only have been a positive imo

I feel Villa fans are very lucky to be able to have contact and information from The General. How important for supporter/club development do you feel this has been and do you think it should be encouraged across other clubs

It was a breath of fresh air. A sign of good will and good intent. A method to enable the club to know what the fans feel and think rather than only assuming what the feels feel and think, and to implement changes because of the fans feedback

Martin O’Neill left at a crucial part of the season and it seems since then he is constantly being linked with the Liverpool job by the media as soon as an opportunity arises. How do you feel he would do as Liverpool manager, given the current financial situation and also with funds available.

I think he would have been doing a better job than Roy is so far. Whether MO'N could do a better job than Roy in the long term, I'm not so sure.

Not very well so far, but I think he's the kind of manager that needs time. Remember it took a few years for Alex to get things going at Man U. Liverpool, like us, are in a transition phase. Both sets of fans need to be patient and allow a manager to rebuild properly for the future.

Reina, because he's a superb GK.

I expect a fast paced, gritty, and exciting game. I feel if Villa don't have a couple of more player fit from injury, Liverpool will be the more likely to take 3 points.

If we have a couple of more players available from injury, then a score draw. If not, a 2-1 win to Liverpool

With the players we have we should be finishing top 8.

He hasn't inspired since he came in right from the first time he opened his trap and said we were a team that belongs in the 7-12th bracket despite being the 4th most successful club in the history of English football, the 5th highest point scorers in the history of the Premiership and a team that had just finished 6th three years on the bounce.

The impression I get is that he is trying to make changes for changes sake, getting us to play backwards and sideways overly negative crap and not playing to the players strengths. I fear he is going to turn out to be a useless ****. I really, really hope I'm wrong.

Not sure. Many of the experienced players are playing well below par so he isn't getting the best out of them.

Barry left 18 months ago and we had our best season in many a year with out him ( best ever in terms of Prem points total ) he was also far from being young at 28.

Milner clearly still needs replacing as Ireland isn't the answer. The youth lads have done well and Bannan looks like he will be a fine player but is not yet ready to be considered Milners replacement.

Signing a 37 year old has been who runs ( well walks ) around like an old man who as shit himself is far from inspiring.

For a 15 minute cameo at the end of a game you are trying to see out he may be an option. He isn't capable of starting games and influencing them at this level any more though.

He invested the required funds to take a team that had just finished 16th and looked nailed on for relegation to one that had established itself in the top 6. Unfortunately it appears that he didn't then want to push on from a position of strength to get in to the top 4 and start winning things.

I will forever be thankful for what he has done though as we were heading in to very dangerous waters before he arrived.

Mixed bag and in more recent times it has been used for spin.

With your current financial situation he would get you top 6. Whether he could get you any higher than that and whether Liverpool fans would have enough patience with him is another matter.

About what I expected and much like Houliier at Villa a very uninspiring appointment for Liverpool fans from what I hear.

Reina. Very good and consistent.

All depends if we play to our strengths at a high tempo and really get amongst you. If we do what we have recently passing the ball backwards/sideways for passings sake and with a negative attitude I feel it could be a very dour game.

2-0 Liverpool.

Thanks for all replies, as promised the link is below

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267228.0

sorry it took a while to get the link up. turned out I'd not made enough posts in the forum to be able to post in the right section :oops:

It's up now. Hope you all have a fun snowy weekend and may the best *scouse* team win on Monday

lol @ the reaction to the Konchesky comment. We all feel the same over here too, except for the Australian fan. Maybe its the cricket that is playing havoc with his emotions? :lol:

Hello and welcome from everyone's favourite Liverpool forum RAWK./b]

Really? :lol: Possibly the shittiest forum on the interwebs with the maximum proportion of clearings in the woods and wums and power tripping word removed mods.

Now that we've got the pleasantries out of the way , we can do the questions..

Ans) 7-8th is easily doable and I don't think we are going to finish any lower than that.

Ans) He is changing the complete setup from inside out so it is not a huge surprise that he hasn't settled as well. To dismantle the 'direct , long ball' mentality that is ingrained into our players will take a lot of time.

Ans) Yeah , I think Heskey loves playing under Gerard and would have done very well if not for his injuries.

After Citeh came in and took two of your better young players what do you think needs doing to replace them. Is youth development an option or is the only way the transfer window

Ans) Since our youth setup actually produces players for the first team and good ones at that(Unlike yours :P) , ideally it would be a mixture of youth and good sensible transfer policy. We can get away with investing relatively less due to the quality of our youth players.

Ans) He was signed not just for the first team but to guide and take our younger players under his wing and pass on his experience which is considerable. It's a win win situation for us as far as I am concerned. The likes of Albrighton can only benefit from such an association.

Ans) The only thing in common between your ex owners and Randy is nationality. Randy has been fantastic till now to be honest.

feel Villa fans are very lucky to be able to have contact and information from The General. How important for supporter/club development do you feel this has been and do you think it should be encouraged across other clubs

Ans) Don't have an opinion on this either way.

I question the logic of having ANYONE from the club on RAWK though. :winkold:

How do you feel Roy Hodgson has done since taking the Liverpool job

Ans) reasonable job under the circumstances , I doubt anyone could have done better with the shite you have in your squad. I mean if Dirk **** Kuyt still gets to play in the first team , there are serious problems there and Roy will have done well to get you finishing in the top half of the table and a Europa run.

Ans) I personally would take only Reina , Torres and Lucas Leyva. With all our players fit , I wouldn't take anybody else, not even hollywood gerrard.

Last season we had two good games together with Villa winning at Anfield and Liverpool winning at Villa Park. Both games had “talking points” in them and I feel this is always the way with our encounters. What do you expect from this game

Ans) I honestly think we will win this game , Liverpools passing approach suits us as opposed to facing the Blackburns and Birminghams of this league. There will be football from both sides but ours should prevail.

2-3 To Villa with Mon Houl leaving victorious.

:D

Having read the thread he put up which I thought was quite good I did have to smirk about the H&V link on it. I get the impression there was a slight over reaction there!

Really? Laughing Possibly the shittiest forum on the interwebs with the maximum proportion of clearings in the woods and wums and power tripping word removed mods.

Now that we've got the pleasantries out of the way , we can do the questions..

Shame I had to get one dodgy comment.

Thanks for the answers though. I've published the article so can't use them now though.

PostPosted: Dec 05, 2010 - 11:52 AM

Poor old Mac, is he on here?

He's the site administrator over there. I didn't get the reason why he went like that except until someone posted last years Spyin' Kop with his responses. He came across a bit bitter tbh, and then was rightly slated for it. Strange that an admin would do that as well.

Realistic target should be 8th to 10th although the way things are going at the moment I will be glad to just stay up.

It's too early to judge and he has had an unprescedented amount of injuries to deal with but I do have some concerns which I hope he adresses pretty quickly.

Well he has to be injury-free firstly. Early signs suggested, yes.

Who needs Barry when we've got Barry Bannan? And as for Milner, we have missed him, but the money is clearly not being re-invested so we have to get on with it.

We got him for free so it's a zero-risk signing, unless you play him from the start like Houllier did against Arsenal which was a big mistake.

He's done a lot for Villa so far so no complaints from me. Whether he has the financial clout to get us any further remains to be seen.

In certain aspects it can be a big help. However media outlets can often latch onto things The General says and create a story (often negative) out of it. I also feel that some perfectly reasonable questions don't get answered and more recently The General has been getting more and more antagonised which doesn't look very professional when reading his responses, at times.

Martin O'Neill would not be a good move for Liverpool FC.

He's done as well as can be expected given the circumstances. He needs time, like Houllier.

I wouldn't take Gerrard as he should be in jail. Torres, Cole and Johnson I would have.

I don't "expect" anything because anything can happen in football. I hope for a Villa win. It will probably be a scrappy game with both teams missing players.

2-1 Liverplop.

Top 8

Speaks a good game - Judge him when he has his own squad and style of play.

No - He's been a pro 13 years has anyone ?

Barry not young and we had the best out of him. Milner a good player but over rated as citeh are finding out. Delph will be far better player than Milner in a couple of years.

Be good for the Young lads.

No negatives - The best thing that's ever happened to AVFC.

The Generals a legend for coming on here and taking the abuse he sometimes encounters. He always gives an answer and makes us feel close to the club.

Martin who ?? You'll be better off with Hickson and Gillett than than tosser !!

Liverpool are to big for him - On borrowed time !!

Reina, Joe Cole and Glen Johnston are all top players. The later being a winger instead of a full back.

The best we'll get at the moment is a draw. If Dunne plays we'll loose 3-0 as he's completely SHIT !!

See above.

UP THE VILLA !!

Â