• Downing
    • A Young
    • Albrighton
    • Bannan
    • Delfouneso
    • Agbonlahor (for Delfouneso 64)
    • Ireland (for Albrighton 81)
    • Lichaj (for Bannan 90+3)

So this was the forth game since Houllier has been in charge that i have been unable to watch live and just like the other 3 they were wins, seems like i am going to have to wait a while to watch us win.

Saw parts of a delayed telecast and highlights, from what i saw Fonz looked pretty good, a good header that was a definite goal and then some smart work to pull of the last defender and a finish that a top class poacher would have been happy with. Think he'll gain a lot from this game and hopefully can continue to improve.

Downing had another good game, its nice to see him trying more long shots, he has good technique and hopefully we'll be seeing more goals from him in the near future.

Ayoung seemed to have a good game as well, someone who watched full game could clarify this but it seemed that he was switching roles with albrighton and downing throughout the game so he was able to find himself more space. Against Fulham he only stayed in the middle and seemed more limited.

Both goals conceded were a joke, if we defend like that against united we could easily find ourselves on the wrong end of a thrashing.

we got there in the end.

poor first half, 2nd half much better.

Ashley young was quality in the 2nd half, that is what he should be doing in games every week if hes our best player.

ref was shit again, cant believe he disallowed that goal and it was a clear penalty for the foul on albrighton could see that from the holte end.

wish more people would give delfouneso a chance he was getting slagged off by me, "never gonna make it as a premiership player" was the words used and "he looks worse than last year" this was all before he scored of course :lol:

people forget when he was coming on last season it was to play in a pair up front, this season hes trying to play up on his own which is no easy task in the premiership.

special mention for downing as well he was quality and dont hear no one slagging him off no more.

ref was shit again, cant believe he disallowed that goal and it was a clear penalty for the foul on albrighton could see that from the holte end.

It was clearly a foul, personally though, it looked like it was just outside the area. not by alot though. The ref was also in a decent enough position to have seen it clearly and should have given it.

Blackpool manager Ian Holloway has said he will resign if the Premier League punish him for fielding a weakened team in the 3-2 defeat against Aston Villa.

The Seasiders boss made 10 changes to the side that had drawn 2-2 against Everton at Bloomfield Road on Saturday.

A similar move by Mick McCarthy last season resulted in Wolves getting a suspended £25,000 Premier League fine.

But Holloway said he would "pack it in" if he was punished and declared: "I've got every right to do what I like."

The Premier League is understood to be investigating Holloway's decision, but the Blackpool manager added: "We deserved at least a point and how dare anybody tell me the players I've been working with, I can't treat them with respect and give them a chance.

"I'm manager of Blackpool and I manage the players how I want. If some bright spark from the Premier League wants to tell me who I can pick then come and have a cup of coffee and you'll probably get it chucked in your lap.

"Let them try and fine me, it's an absolute disgrace. I'll show the Premier League. We were a credit to football, and let the Premier League try to tell me otherwise."

Speaking after the match at Villa Park on Wednesday, Holloway had admitted that making such wholesale changes may have looked like a "crazy" move.

But Holloway said his hand was forced by the busy Premier League calendar.

"We've got four games in 12 days and the lads I've played every week are struggling to keep up the level," he stated.

With regulars like Charlie Adam, Stephen Crainey and Matt Gilks left out, Holloway gave six players their first Premier League start in a line-up which had 12 top-flight starts between them.

"I picked a team that I spent a lot of money on," Holloway added. "The right-back (Chris Basham) cost me £1m. The Israeli centre-half (Dekel Keinan) is an international. Jason Euell was my captain last year. Ludovic Sylvestre, I paid £600,000 for him.

"We've got more points (14) than any of you people ever thought we would get. If you talk about the game, we earned at least a point.

"How dare anyone tell me the players I've been working with, I can't give them a chance. Tonight they have enhanced their reputation."

Despite his decision to pick a largely second-string side, Blackpool almost left Villa Park with a point after a lively display.

Marlon Harewood and DJ Campbell both scored to cancel out goals from Stewart Downing and Nathan Delfouneso but Villa defender James Collins headed a late winner to deny the Seasiders at the death.

Holloway said he was disappointed not to get at least a point from the match but he was proud of the players he had brought in.

He added: "That was a test for us and our strength in depth and a test for the ones who haven't played and I'm bursting with pride because they were fantastic.

"I felt their performance more than at least deserved a point. The whole club has been represented magnificently today."

Aston Villa manager Gerard Houllier was impressed by Blackpool's fearless display.

"When I saw their team line-up I was extremely worried," said the Frenchman. "They had nothing to lose and they threw everything at us.

"Holloway deserves great credit for what he's doing. They throw everything offensively and make the game spectacular. I hope they stay up."

I'm totally with Holloway with this one (as I was with McCarthy). The league should keep their noses out. A club has a squad of players and a manager has every right to pick whichever XI he likes.

It was clearly a foul, personally though, it looked like it was just outside the area. not by alot though. The ref was also in a decent enough position to have seen it clearly and should have given it.

Was in the area.

I can see why it wasnt given though, Albrighton seemed to 'play for it' for want of a better term, dont get me wrong, he was fouled, but in such a way he enforced a foul upon himself if that makes sense.

I think thats why the ref didnt give it, it looked like he was trying to con him.

anyone else see the guy in the black coat sat in the lower DE give the blackpool fans a bit of stick? really shouting at them

im sure he started with "are you preston in disguise" or something like that

to which they chanted "on your own"

his response? same tune "and your mom" brilliant :clap:

yeh could have been a freekick to be fair, i thought it was in the box though after seeing it on football first.

I agree with tony pulis about relegating some of these refs, there a disgrace. i feel like personally forwarding videos of them 2 decisons alone (delfounesos disallowed goal and the foul on albrighton) to the fa and premier league to show how bad some of these refs are.

Boy we needed that.

Performance not a big issue. 3 points is 3 points. especially in this league. Cracking goal by Del boy. And a last minute winner to give us all a lift and a bit of a belief.

Hopefully we can kick on and get a positive result against Man Utd

anyone else see the guy in the black coat sat in the lower DE give the blackpool fans a bit of stick? really shouting at them

im sure he started with "are you preston in disguise" or something like that

to which they chanted "on your own"

his response? same tune "and your mom" brilliant :clap:

Yeh I saw him, quality stuff.

I love Ian Holloway. This league needs him. And of course he's absolutely right, as was Mick McCarthey.

If they beat West Ham at the weekend then his decision will be completely justified, but even if they don't it's still his decision and the FA should keep their noses out deciding what he can and can't do with his own players.

In terms of our performance I thought our lads did great again. Albrighton is looking a real threat, although his inexperience still shows at times. Bannan looks like quite comfortable and composed, and Clark looks like a very useful player, even playing out of position.

Delfouneso looks good too, but it was great to see Gabby back on the pitch. Hopefully he'll get another 15-20 minutes against Man Utd and then be pushing for starting line up again.

Thank F#ck for 3 points! Should have had them against SHA and Fulham of late, so a win's a win in these trying circumstances. If we can keep amongst it til January, then we could be in for a late charge at European places with a few signings with the Milner $$$ hopefully! Hang in there fellas

I thought delfonso was average. he perked up a bit after his disallowed goal. but throughout the game looked slow to react when the ball came to him.

really like Bannan he's tenacious and he can pass and dribble. Clarke is similar to micheal carrick, plays the game at his own pace.

it's the 2nd home game running we've lost the toss. disgrace.

it's the 2nd home game running we've lost the toss. disgrace.

I always think this is a good omen, we beat Blues 5-1 and Chelsea 2-0 having lost the toss.

Anyway.

I want to re-iterate my post which I made last night on the way back from the game.

Barry Bannan, for me, was the best player on the pitch, by some considerable distance. Every time he got the ball, he looked to turn with it and move forward, we dont have any other midfielder who does this. Some of his play is frankly amazing, there was one instance where he was on his own touchline and managed to turn and thread the ball through the eye of a needle to Downing on the wing. His first touch is head and shoulders above everyone elses at the club, with the possible exception of Downing.

Even if we had a fully fit team tomorrow, Id play him. Sitting in a midfield 2 seems risky, but its the ideal way to get him involved in the game, and I could see him working wonders with Petrov.

Get in!

Ireland on a winning side!!

lol....are you serious? I was gutted about ireland when he came on as he looked really bad, and during these desperate times I have a lot riding on ireland coming good.

As for the game, take the result without question. Thought they were giving us problems in the first half and we were perhaps struggling a little but I thought we really deserved the win 2nd half.

It's just that some think we won games like this with ease with our former manager,but we didn't

aye its bizarre

the team (which is made of mons signings and our kids) have a history of bottling things in the final third of a game which was 100% due to the former manager's tactics. its gonna take a while to knock that out of them

you can count on one hand games he won with ease anyway...rarely watched a game I thought we actually deserved to win and I was always ribbed by texts from mates such as "blimey you was jammy", etc.

Did actually think overall on this game that they brought a pretty good direct simple football which was causing us problems, but we came out on the second half and really deserved the win.

Especially against an obvious blackpool fan ref!

Â