Match Thread: No discussion of streams

Rob182

You know that it's boring when the commentators feel compelled to bring up that Aston Villa and Chelsea have been in the PL since the beginning of football in 1992.

But football was invented in 1992 by Richard Keys and Rupert Murdoch!

Interesting half. We've had the better chances and should have the lead. Chelsea look like they've got an arseload more in the tank but don't seem bothered to use it.

Kakuta remains unbroken, for shame.

I think we've done well. Chelsea are there for the taking. Don't get me wrong, they are still very strong, but they look as if they are missing their key players badly.

We've blatantly had the better of the chances and look the better team. I must say, I'm impressed with our ability to pass the ball at times, although we could still be better at retaining it.

I'd take this if I was given it before the match. My main complaint lies at Carew as he can't seem to hold the ball up. Any ball played forward comes straight back and against Chelsea you would expect to be punished eventually. Give Carew a chance for the 1st 10 minutes of the second half and if nothing changes bring Delfouneso on.

We are playing this game just right IMO. We are closing down the spaces and making it difficult for them yet are passing the ball quite well in the attacking third with the forward 4 of Ireland, Carew, Young and Downing linking well. We need to take our chances though.

need to hold it a bit better around their box, some nice build up but we keep losing it in the final third.

could do with nrc getting a bit more involved, he is quiet and chelsea have a bit too much room at times. same for carew, he looks off the pace

Friedel had one thing to do all half, a simple long range effort from Essien. We should be in the lead, Ireland's guilt edged chance and Carew was unlucky a couple of minutes later. Apart from that though, a boring half. This is there for the taking. We need to work on corners in training though, rarely get past the first man.

Worth saying that Downing and Petrov have both been fantastic. And Irelands shown glimpses of what he might do when on top form, he's clearly still got the quality and vision. Just need to pick him up more. Shame Carew isn't looking like he's having one of his quality games.