Houllier - released from contract with FFF

Brumerican

A you happy with Houllier's Appointment?  

628 members have voted

1. 1. A you happy with Houllier's Appointment?

• Oui
    • Non
    • Undecided

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol:

I've not exactly followed Houllier's whole career but I guess if you are hoping for a more expansive type of game, you will be very unhappy (well not unhappy but can't think of the right word)

I don't for one second think we'll display the flair of a 1970s Brazilian World Cup squad, but knowing who he's following on from, he'd be hard pressed not to be more expansive.

Finally.

Now, lets see what he does. Forgive me if I'm not waiting with baited breath.

Yet achieved more than MON, interesting.

Chindie certainly didn't mention MON, so why bother unless you really are trying to start an argument?

Reo Coker will need a lot of impressing to do to retain his position in the first 11.

Really can't see that happening to be honest, NRC is probably our least technically gifted player.

I'm looking forward to seeing if Houllier can get us playing a more expansive type of game.

I agree , Reo Coker is not best suited for a team trying to play an expansive game . The 'front sweeper' position is a critical cog in the machinery of teams who play possession and movement based passing football.

There are two interpretations of that position.

1) An out and out defensive midfielder with adequate technical ability to release the ball quickly and play it short to more creative players so as to not lose position. Javier Mascherano , Makalele , Diarra , Toure Yaya , these are the players I am talking about.

Reo Coker does not have the attributes to play the above role effectively and GH will soon discover for himself if he hasn't already.

2) A deep lying playmaker , effectively a creative midfielder with excellent range of passing and craft occupying a position which is much nearer to the defense so as to able to receive the ball deep and start attacks and control the play and general movement around him. You need to very , very good with your passing and also have the ability to influence the pace of the game. There are very few of these players around and highly valued (Pirlo , Alonso , Xavi , Cambiasso etc)

I am sure GH is not crazy enough to even consider Reo Coker for that position.

Where does he play? Does he add to the midfield or actually make it weaker and make Petrov less effective as a result.

NRC thinks of himself as a box to box player which he is not , neither is he an attacking midfielder. I don't even know what his bes position is to be honest.

And in any case , the 3 man centyral midfield is pretty much standard in europe these days and I expect GH to use it.

What is needed is a player who can play that disciplined role in front of the defence while Petrov and Ireland do their thing in front.

A 2 man midfield is best suited for a direct counter attacking style.

:lol:

I've not exactly followed Houllier's whole career but I guess if you are hoping for a more expansive type of game, you will be very unhappy (well not unhappy but can't think of the right word)

I don't for one second think we'll display the flair of a 1970s Brazilian World Cup squad, but knowing who he's following on from, he'd be hard pressed not to be more expansive.

We'll retain the ball better, can't see us being aggressive though. Although that type of management could be more suited to the players we have anyway. I'm excited to see something fresh even if i'll probably be a tad disappointed. We have players who can keep it and pass it, just need a coach.

And in any case , the 3 man centyral midfield is pretty much standard in europe these days and I expect GH to use it.

Agreed. Which means once Delp is fit (not forgetting Gardner) he'll have to go out and buy 2, not to mention the striker...........

......a real striker ..think of that!!

I wouldn't mind a defensive approach as long as it is possession based and not about hoofing. When you have the ball for long periods of the game , your opponent has fewer opportunities for attacking play.

Making teams chase the ball will make their players tire out quicker , opening opportunities for incisive counter attacks ala Germany to finish the opposition.

Agreed. Which means once Delp is fit (not forgetting Gardner) he'll have to go out and buy 2, not to mention the striker...........

We have one, a perfectly capable lone striker in Agbonlahor.

We have one, a perfectly capable lone striker in Agbonlahor.

yeah apart from him

Â