Stephen Ireland

Richard

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SI maintains that those were not the words that left his lips. He says that what he said was translated into French and then back into English. He maintains that what he actually said was "As a city, Birmingham doesn't compare to Manchester" (paraphrased). It's flaky, at best, but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt on this one.

I can definitely see the possibility of such events regarding the first quote.

This came about when Houllier said to him that he wasn't in his plans, that he would never play for Villa under Houllier regardless of where he was living or how hard he was training. Ireland was in the process of moving to the Birmingham area when Houllier told him not to bother; so Ireland ended up cancelling the relocation. Houllier said to him that the best thing he could do was to request a transfer and expedite his exit. Houllier then went to the press and said that Ireland had requested a transfer when he very definitely did not. Then, 2 weeks later, Houllier asked him to move to the Birmingham area. In those circumstances, I really don't blame him for not being keen on uprooting his family.

Thats exactly what I'd expect to read if Ireland was trying to shift the entirety of the blame onto Houllier. As such (and given Ireland's propensity for failing to engage his brain before opening his mouth), I'm not so sure of it's validity. I suspect the truth lies (as always) somewhere in the middle and as Mike stated, we'll likely never know the full extent of it.

If you'll kindly indulge, I am curious as to the source of these refutations? :)

A read through this thread and my posts re the SI situation will show that the events re Ireland's relocation/non-relocation were relayed by me before the interview in that French magazine. Not that it makes my info more solid but it should show that it's not an "oh shit, how do I explain that?" response from SI.

As for the source? Neigh!!!

Lets be fair, if somehow McLeish can get him to play well next season and do something for the team, then I couldn't really give a shit what he said about Birmingham.

You can be pretty sure he isn't the first, and wont be the last football that we sign who doesn't really like Birmingham, Ireland is just a bit more stupid in interviews.

Does it matter what he said about Birmingham?

Lets be honest here, he would not be living in Birmingham anyway. But what does Birmingham offer that other Cities does not?

Birmingham has always been stuck in the dark ages when it comes to its nightlife ect. I dont blame him for what he said, because hes right!!!

Lets be honest here, he would not be living in Birmingham anyway. But what does Birmingham offer that other Cities does not?

Birmingham has always been stuck in the dark ages when it comes to its nightlife ect. I dont blame him for what he said, because hes right!!!

Well then you can f**k off too :D

I was starting to think I was the only one that thought like this!

Combo-breaker-2.jpg

Damn it Danwichmann, the next line was supposed to be "Of course that is, of course, unless the horse is the famous Mister Ed." :(

I offer my unreserved apologies for breaking the combo and completely failing to understand this reference.

Well then you can f**k off too :D

:lol:

On a saturday night, i wish i could!

We'll never know the truth.

I'd say Gazton's info is pretty close to the truth TBH.

no disrespect to Gazton but what you actually mean is his info is pretty close to SI's version of events. Two sides to the story and weve no idea which is correct. This is the reason im prepared to give him and Warnock another chance, ive seen what both are capable of and it doesnt make sense to write them off.

So your saying Houllier took the Villa job and just decided to pick on Ireland for no apparent reason?

I'm sure there's a reason why he did it. I can't fathom it though.

The reason was as follows and you don't need to be ITK to work it out.

January was all about moving on some of the high wage dead wood to get in his own players without adding to the wage bill.

Ireland was clearly a player Houllier didn't warm to, surmising that he didn't have the character to fulfil his potential (and jury is still out as to whether he was wrong). He actually spoke about this in some detail after the Sunderland away game where SI didn't get a kick.

So Houllier identified Ireland along with Carew, Sidwell, Davies etc as players he needed to shift if he could.

So your saying Houllier took the Villa job and just decided to pick on Ireland for no apparent reason?

You seem to think that is out of character for Mr Houllier, it isn't.

He's done it to plenty of others in the past, he trained as a teacher and he quite often does the equivalent of telling the kids to go stand in the corner and face the wall.

I watched him play too much last year. Silky skills but no brain and no application. If he misses a chance in the first few minutes his head goes down and you can forget it. This was nothing to do with Houllier. For whatever reason this guy is a car crash. Basically, he's crap and he thinks he's a genius. He'll disappear without trace into the lower divisions ...

I watched him play too much last year. Silky skills but no brain and no application. If he misses a chance in the first few minutes his head goes down and you can forget it. This was nothing to do with Houllier. For whatever reason this guy is a car crash. Basically, he's crap and he thinks he's a genius. He'll disappear without trace into the lower divisions ...

Don’t agree with any of this. FFS what the hell are you talking about?! He hardly played last season. It’s shocking the crap some people will come out with! :oops:

Let the lad get a pre season under his belt and see what happens.