Stephen Ireland

Richard

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ireland has been a holte end hero ever since he took a toke on that shisha pipe.

But I fear that he'll be sold because he's alleged to be a high earner (i realise mancity are meant to contribute a bit)

Bringing in Holman seemed to confirm my fears. But who actually signed Holman? did Mcleish? Who actually signed Ireland?

I believe the board choose the players, Holman was meant to replace Ireland but now the manager situation has changed maybe Lamber will refuse to pick Holman because he didn't sign him. In the way Mcleish refused to consider Makoun.

Makoun and Ireland would still be a bit lightweight for me against teams that play 5 across the middle.

He has never been a hero has he, on the contrary he has failed massively to live up to his former reputation. What he needs to do is to stay on and start playing, not just a good spell every 10 games. As for Brett Holman, he was brought in by McLeish no doubt about it. I am pretty sure the board/new manager would have terminated the deal if it was possible, but now we have to see how it pans out. As for his current reputation as well as age, I think it is safe to say he will be a squad player. 28 years old and probably holding his maximum level, going into a much harder league - do not think he will play much at all. Above all he is not a Lambert-player and the manager probably would like to buy that kind of player himself.

Well Ireland, naturally an attacking player, looked decent in an extremely negative side so it'll be interesting to see how he looks in an attacking team. Could form a lethal partnership with Bent.

Agreed, and I think he should be played upfront just behind him.

Arousi

Holman Zog

Ireland

Weimann Bent

Arousi?

Well Ireland, naturally an attacking player, looked decent in an extremely negative side so it'll be interesting to see how he looks in an attacking team. Could form a lethal partnership with Bent.

Agreed, and I think he should be played upfront just behind him.

Arousi

Holman Zog

Ireland

Weimann Bent

Arousi?

The Feyenoord player, that's his surname, I believe

Arousi?

The Feyenoord player, that's his surname, I believe

His full name is Karim El Ahmadi Arrousi according to Wikipedia, but he seems to only go by Karim El Ahmadi and appears to have 'El Ahmadi' on the back of his shirts so we should probably stick to that.

Looks a good tackler, something we have missed since Petrov has been out, will be interesting to see how he combines with Ireland. Not expecting too much though, as we have all seen many a false dawn at this club.

I think PL will look to build the team around SI. Any creativity and forward thinking will come through him, so he will maybe look to make him star of the show.

We all know that SI is a huge confidence player, and it wouldnt at all surprise me if he was made vice-captain and told "ok...go and show me how good you are".

I think if we can get a solid back 5 and with Karim doing the dirty work behind him, SI will be free to play his naturally game without using up energy chasing back like he was ordered to under AM.

Big season coming up for SI...and ive every faith that he will prove a hell of a lot of people wrong.

I'd like to see El Ahmadi and Gardner behind Ireland. Two grafters with differing styles (a defensive workhorse and an attacking midfield engine) doing all the work behind and around him would allow Ireland to stay behind Bent and be a lynchpin for counter-attacks and build-up play and hopefully give him the time to pick some killer passes.

That said it wouldnt surprise me to see Ireland leave for the fact he isnt a workhorse like Lamberts usual signings

• 2 weeks later...
Mr. Ireland is being linked with QPR today.

I would be gutted if we let him go. :(

I'd be delighted. If we can find some poor bugger to buy him, Dunne and Collins and free up some wages for some decent players then.

Ireland is an incredibly frustrating player. It feels like he has it in him, but he never seems to show it - despite his obvious efforts. I don't think it's possible to claim he doesn't try - but the end results just aren't there for me.

Why? He hasn't really done anything for us, I wasn't exactly won over last season despite a few good games. Coupled with his fragile personality and motivational difficulties, I think a clean slate would probably be best for us and him. If we can get anything over 7 mil for him I'd sell him.

Mr. Ireland is being linked with QPR today.

I would be gutted if we let him go. :(

I'm with you on this. For the last couple of seasons has been either mismanaged by the frenchman or stifled by he who's name should not be mentioned.

I would love to see him play under Lambert as i think he will bring the best out of Ireland.

If we can get anything over 7 mil for him I'd sell him

We'd be laughing all the way to the bank if we got a bid like that. Considering the wages he is on, and his lack of performing in the two seasons here I'd suggest it'd be a fee of around £3.5million

I would love to see him play under Lambert as i think he will bring the best out of Ireland.

In fairness, I do agree. Hopefully there'll be some streams of our USA tour and we can see how he would fit into Lambert's team.

If we can get anything over 7 mil for him I'd sell him

We'd be laughing all the way to the bank if we got a bid like that. Considering the wages he is on, and his lack of performing in the two seasons here I'd suggest it'd be a fee of around £3.5million

True, but if its QPR as reported then they have one of the richest owners in football, so we could in theory play hardball. Although we don't exactly have history of making things difficult for clubs buying players off us.

I just have a horrible feeling that if we sold him he would turn back into a world beater for someone else.

Still think he has a hell of alot to offer.

I still cant understand why people want to get rid of the most technically gifted players on our books.

Like it or not, Stephen Ireland is currently the best footballer at Aston Villa football club.