Stephen Ireland

Richard

POTY should have been Makoun!! Hasnt kicked a ball for us this season which automatically means he has been better for villa then anyone else who has played for us this season

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually don't think we should have a player of the season this year

The only credible vote would be Petrov buy has he played enough games

Herd young player by a mile

I have to applaud all Villa fans who voted for Stephen Ireland as player of the year...........

Does your piss taking know no boundaries. I absolutely wet myself at the ironic satire of it!! A man thats started 16 games, been sub in 6, scored once and had 3 assists was deemed to be the standout performer in this most horrific of seasons!!

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant. Just disappointed I never thought of it!!

Don't know why everyone is up in arms about this.

This is a season when the attackers couldn't score.

The defenders couldn't defend.

And the midfielders couldn't string more than five passes together.

Is it any wonder then that a player like Stephen Ireland who is actually capable of playing a pass and keeping the ball moving sticks out like a sore thumb in this team.

I know we are crying out for some crumbs of comfort in this most putrid of seasons but come on.

Stephen Ireland had played less than 50% of the season. His form up until Xmas was average at best. He has produced one stand out performance at Chelsea and since then I'll accept that his form, attitude and committment have certainly shown a marked improvement.

But player of the season Do me a favour

I don't think there was any other option to be honest. Given has had a lot to do and although I'm a massive fan of his, I don't think he's done anything to solidify our defence in terms of defending crosses and set-pieces. Giving it to Petrov would have been a nice touch I suppose, although I don't think anyone could claim he deserved it on purely footballing grounds.

Ireland had to get the nod. You can say all you want about the amount of games he's played or his stats in terms of goals and assists but he has been our best player. It's as simple as that. I'm sure some people genuinely think he doesn't deserve to be POTY but the real problem here is that a substantial amount of supporters still have a certain set opinion of him, i.e. that he's a troublemaker. I really can't see any evidence supporting this. Yes he's an unusual character but, more importantly, he's a cracking footballer.

I wish everyone would just get behind him and be glad that he's doing well for us. Imagine what he could do in a system that doesn't inherently stifle creative players... Hopefully getting Player of the Year will give him even more confidence to push on next season. We're a better team with him than without, that's for sure.

The thing is, Petrov did win Aston Villa's player of the season. Ireland us simply fan's POTS which is awarded to the player who accumulates the most points from MOTM or runners up votes from the fans after matchdays. I agree with Ooh-Ah above that people just don't want to budge from their already formed opinions on him.

I said it before and 'll say it again. This is the worst Aston Villa I have seen in my time watching them. Stephen Ireland as POTY is a joke and shows me just how bad our season has been. I am not saying that they are all bad players but as a team, they are utter pants.

i actually would have given it to stan, and thats not anything to do with sentiment, but purely football.

i agree with what others have said about this being the worst villa team now for a long time, and i think we'd me much further in the sh*t if it wasnt for stan running his heart out in the early part of the season, where we picked up most of our points ( not that it was a massive tally). its been plainly obvious theres a gaping hole in our midfield without him.

so i think as a fan of a struggling team it was certainly heartening to see him give his all every single time he went on the pitch. if we'd eleven stans we'd have no trouble at all. also pitched in with 5 important goals :D

What a farce...

the lad couldn't be arsed for half the season...

he must be laughing his tits off and it will be the easiest award he has ever won.....

Ireland is so over rated

Given or Petrov should have got it

Hahaha this is a classic, fair play to the club,

Instead of having fans giving out about management and chairman etc for a change, they have them giving out about themselves over "fans votes" and this award.

Bigger picture??? Simple minds

The thing is, Petrov did win Aston Villa's player of the season. Ireland us simply fan's POTS which is awarded to the player who accumulates the most points from MOTM or runners up votes from the fans after matchdays.

Is that how the winner was decided this year? If so people should probably stop criticising the club and calling it a farce.

The thing is, Petrov did win Aston Villa's player of the season. Ireland us simply fan's POTS which is awarded to the player who accumulates the most points from MOTM or runners up votes from the fans after matchdays.

Is that how the winner was decided this year? If so people should probably stop criticising the club and calling it a farce.

Yep, read it on the OS a month or so back when Ireland jumped into pole position ahead of Gabby. Marc was in 3rd at the time. Not hard to see why Ireland remained on top as the other twos forms have been horrendous. It's worth mentioning that Petrov was voted POTS by the other players.