Stephen Ireland

Richard

Blimey, if I was Ireland, I think I would rather Houllier had said that to me in private and not chatted to a dodgy website about it.

Yeah hes really a joke GH eh?

MON would never have done that.. oh he did,he told everyone how shit Thomas Sørensen was..Blimey

Everyone will have to get over MON at some point, you know. I would hardly hold him up as a benchmark for progressive management! :lol:

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm continuing to see nothing which suggests that Ireland will be a success here.

I'm sure I'll get the usual bollocks about the fact that he barely played last season, that he's settling in (he needs time don't you know!), that he's getting used to new positions etc etc etc....

I think he's all talk/hype and little or no substance, I don't hold this against him as it's not his fault that we signed him however, I do wish people would stop believing he's the next messiah.

I'm continuing to see nothing which suggests that Ireland will be a success here.

I'm sure I'll get the usual bollocks about the fact that he barely played last season, that he's settling in (he needs time don't you know!), that he's getting used to new positions etc etc etc....

I think he's all talk/hype and little or no substance, I don't hold this against him as it's not his fault that we signed him however, I do wish people would stop believing he's the next messiah.

He needs to be given a chance. The same was said about Downing last season and this year he's been much better.

Ireland has the potential to be a real match winner if things click. I think he'll be more of a weapon at home where he gets more of the ball, away from home he might be less effective.

Can we get a filter on the word messiah?

"Person who might be in some way responsible for our success"

People on here said exactly the same, if not worse, about Milner when he first joined.

He needs to be given a chance. The same was said about Downing last season and this year he's been much better.

Ireland has the potential to be a real match winner if things click. I think he'll be more of a weapon at home where he gets more of the ball, away from home he might be less effective.

Downing at least showed glimpses of some sort of genuine application and aptitude during his first few games, he scored on his debut FFS!

Petrov as well, had an absolute blinder on his debut, granted he then did next to nothing for a year but at least we saw the potential in him to be a top player (though I still question what happened to him after that debut against West Ham as he looked like he was on another plain)

Milner, always cited as another example of players needing time, well at least again he'd already shown to us what a good player he could be following his relatively successful loan spell with us, granted SI doesn't have the luxury of having impressed on a loan spell before signing permanently but he's been disappointing, as predicted.

Perhaps I'm wrong but for all those so vehemently in support of him I wonder exactly how much football they'd actually watched the guy play, don't get me wrong, I can remember (not specifics) many times watching MoTD and for the panel to be purring over a through ball he's played or a bit of movement or something but seriously, how much do we actually know about him?

Or should we simply believe, as in his own words, that he "was the hardest trainer at Man City, the first in and the last out every day", because I've seen nowt on the pitch to suggest he's that type of person.

Would be tempted to give Ireland a go in a midfield two with either Sidwell or NRC tonight.

If either Sidwell or NRC gets injured, we going to need him to play there anyway.

I'd rather have Osbourne in there than Ireland, a proper CM.

Would be tempted to give Ireland a go in a midfield two with either Sidwell or NRC tonight.

If either Sidwell or NRC gets injured, we going to need him to play there anyway.

That's ridiculous!

As long as Ireland is told not to push forward too often, he would be a decent centre midfielder with a lot more to offer than Osbourne!

This Amazing deal which we all convinced ourselves with in the summer has yet to come to fruition.

We were all convinced that Milner / Ireland + £16m was the steal of the century, and not only that but Milner would do no well at City and that it was a poor move for him.

Looking at it without my C&B spectacles, it appears that we are the ones who have significantly lost out, whilst City and Milner are enjoying a title push.

Obviously things can change, but I think we need to stop convincing ourselves every year that Villa Park is the Mecca of football and that players like Barry, Milner and Young are being / would be foolish to seek a move away.

That's ridiculous!

As long as Ireland is told not to push forward too often, he would be a decent centre midfielder with a lot more to offer than Osbourne!

Lol, forgot the wink damn it. That was a bit tongue in cheek.

To the post a few above, Milner has been very average for City...

In fact, a few City fans I've spoken to want him dropped.

This, bluemoon is full of "dissapointed at milner" posts, shame because his a really good player just being wasted at city, doesn't help his being played on the wing.

Sounds a bit like when he first came to Villa (indeed, aren't Citeh playing him on the right, like we tried at first?)

Next time you talk to Citeh fans about this, tell them to bide their time.

Or to send him back to us... :)

This, bluemoon is full of "dissapointed at milner" posts, shame because his a really good player just being wasted at city, doesn't help his being played on the wing.

Didnt realise this.

That's why these boards are so great, constantly learning of stuff I previously had no idea of.

That said, I genuinly want the kid to do well there.