Stephen Ireland

Richard

Can i just ask what you were expecting with the arrival of Ireland?

To not lose 6-0 to Newcastle in a match in which, by all accounts, we were over ran in midfield.

I also did not expect to crumble at home to RV and to concede two goals in two minutes, one of which had nothing to do with SI I am happy to concede.

I was asking what you expected from SI as a player?

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 'Confess you were wrong' thread should remain open till next summer and there could be a new entrant by then. I respect anyones opinion but forming it after 2 games is pretty ridiculous.

Oh really, funny that being as Kev Mac has been condemned after a not too dissimilar amount of games....oh, but is that different somehow?

Perhaps because it's a little more mainstream and not so against the grain eh?

What happened to opinions on this forum.

He's also not a central midfielder though is he, which has been said all summer.

He's not a goalkeeper, he's not a centre-back, he's not a full-back, he's not a winger, he's not a striker, hmmmm.

Michael Carrick, Tom Huddlestone, Gareth Barry, Scott Parker, Lucas, Petrov are central midfielders...Stephen Ireland occupies a role which is nothing like any of these players.

Okay, after two games my opinion is that I am unimpressed, that, coupled with the fact that I didn't rate him particularly highly in the first place leads to my personal and current opinion being that he's not particularly good.

I don't honestly feel that I need to explain myself further, sorry to all the Irish peeps who seem to think that the sun shines out of his backside and sorry to anyone else this offends.

I hope to be proven beyond wrong come the end of the season.

Okay, after two games my opinion is that I am unimpressed, that, coupled with the fact that I didn't rate him particularly highly in the first place leads to my personal and current opinion being that he's not particularly good.

I don't honestly feel that I need to explain myself further, sorry to all the Irish peeps who seem to think that the sun shines out of his backside and sorry to anyone else this offends.

we need to play the right system for him to work

He's also not a central midfielder though is he, which has been said all summer.

He's not a goalkeeper, he's not a centre-back, he's not a full-back, he's not a winger, he's not a striker, hmmmm.

Michael Carrick, Tom Huddlestone, Gareth Barry, Scott Parker, Lucas, Petrov are central midfielders...Stephen Ireland occupies a role which is nothing like any of these players.

Emile Heskey is nothing like Jermain Defoe yet they're both strikers?

This break for the Internationals will be good for Ireland. He is a good player. It was a mistake playing him so soon after his arrival against Newcastle but expect him to start making a impact in the next few games. It wont work with just him and petrov in CM, so just a matter of findin the right system for him. Maybe push Ashley back on the wing.

Firstly, he hardly played last year and has clearly faded out of games as a result of a lack of match fitness.

Secondly, he has only ever played with Richard Dunne from our team, he'll need time to gel.

Thirdly, the whole team were pretty damn awful in both Newcastle and Rapid Vienna games.

Fourthly, he is being played as a holding midfielder, would Wesley Sneijder play as well there? No.

Fifthly, he has played two games, difficult to make huge judgements of a player from that.

Just stating the facts!

Firstly, he hardly played last year and has clearly faded out of games as a result of a lack of match fitness.

Secondly, he has only ever played with Richard Dunne from our team, he'll need time to gel.

Thirdly, the whole team were pretty damn awful in both Newcastle and Rapid Vienna games.

Fourthly, he is being played as a holding midfielder, would Wesley Sneijder play as well there? No.

Fifthly, he has played two games, difficult to make huge judgements of a player from that.

Just stating the facts!

he also is playing for a temporary manager who has never managed in the premier league before. (not a dig about kmac at all, but he has been signed bya club who dont know who will be managing the team next week.)

Just stating the facts!

he also is playing for a temporary manager who has never managed in the premier league before. (not a dig about kmac at all, but he has been signed bya club who dont know who will be managing the team next week.)

Yep there's another one! Completely ideal circumstances then for a player to make a good impression?

And there were those who said Milner would be shite

And there were those who said Petrov would be shite

And there were those who said Cuellar would be shite

And there were those who said Collins would be shite

If history has taught us anything, give the guy a chance. He aint fit and he's being played out of his favoured position.

If anything, i won't hold judgement til 2years time. Everyone needs that famous pre-season with team mates under their belt.

Emile Heskey is nothing like Jermain Defoe yet they're both strikers?

yup, one scores goals regularly and the other one only rarely.

Meanwhile back to SI. I agree with those that think he should not have been played straight away. A couple of weeks in training and getting used to the style of play would have been ideal.

When he does reach peak fitness I am confident that he will shine. He has a wicked first touch when he is on his game and I think he will work well with Gabby, Carew and Heskey.

I still think he was a bargain. SI is easily worth 10M of anyone's money. Milner was worth 22M IMO so in essence we got SI for 6M. If he does half as well as Dunne did in his respective position last season then we have to be pleased with the trade.

Your first paragraph explains it perfectly to me to be honest and I think you're more than entitled to hold that view. Plenty had misgivings about him before he arrived and plenty thought him over-rated at Citeh.

As for the 'Irish peeps who seem to think that the sun shines out of his backside'. You obviously don't get the Irish media over there and aren't aware of our opinion of him. By and large, he is hated over here, he has been disowned. He is probably the only Irish player who would not be given the benefit of the doubt by Irish supporters. We all hope he succeeds in the same way that we hope any new Villan will succeed. But to think we have some affinity with him over his nationality? You are so far off the mark with that. He's often referred to as Stephen England because of his snubbing of our national team.

As for the 'Irish peeps who seem to think that the sun shines out of his backside'. You obviously don't get the Irish media over there and aren't aware of our opinion of him. By and large, he is hated over here, he has been disowned. He is probably the only Irish player who would not be given the benefit of the doubt by Irish supporters. We all hope he succeeds in the same way that we hope any new Villan will succeed. But to think we have some affinity with him over his nationality? You are so far off the mark with that. He's often referred to as Stephen England because of his snubbing of our national team.

Fully aware of all this and therefore a little surprised that the Irish contingent on this forum appear to be such advocates of him.