Andreas Weimann

Adam2003

Darren Bent believes Andreas Weimann could play a big part in the season run-in, hailing the young striker "one of the best natural finishers I have seen for a long, long time."

Bent trains with Weimann every day as the pair sharpen their skills at Bodymoor Heath.

In fact, Bent often stays behind with Weimann to offer the Austrian ace advice and practice penalties.

Villa's record-signing has been thoroughly impressed with what he's seen and thinks Weimann has a big, big future ahead of him.

He said: "Andy is one of the best natural finishers I have seen for a long, long time.

"When he's in training he just never seems to miss the target. He's always on the scoresheet.

"He has all the attributes to be a top, top striker.

"He reminds me quite a lot of Dean Ashton. He was one hell of a finisher before he unfortunately had to retire and so is Andy.

"He has all the credentials and I am tipping him to be a top, top player.

"These are the kind of guys you want to see succeed. They work so hard and they have that hunger to make it and succeed.

"It's great training with the young lads and I like giving them advice too, anything that might help them."

Bent was also quick to hail the contribution made by young starlet Gary Gardner, the central ace certainly not looking out of place against Manchester City duo Gareth Barry and Nigel De Jong.

Bent added: "Gary has done really well. We all know what a good player he is.

"He is good in training, his passing is excellent, he's sharp, he can get stuck in and he can hit a ball too.

"We have seen him progressing through the youth side, the reserves and in the NextGen tournament and it's great to be with him in the first team now.

"He looked so comfortable against Manchester City. He didn't look fazed at all. That's full credit to him.I think he's going to be a top player."

http://tinyurl.com/7x669vy

:D

D.Bents best contribution in a villa shirt :winkold:

It's not the first time someone has been effusive in their praise of Weimann. Brad Friedel compared his finishing abilities to that of a young Robbie Fowler. That'd do nicely.

In fairness to Eck, we have 3 very senior strikers ahead of Andy. Gabby, Bent & Keane are deservedly first choice. There's perhaps an argument for giving Andy more game time but only barely. We haven't been in positions to afford our youngsters much leeway. We've had our backs against the wall and Bent has been feeding off scraps. Someone like Gardner coming into the centre of the pitch can learn plenty from that adversity but someone like Weimann wouldn't. He'd hardly see the ball unless he came back to midfield to retrieve it and that's no good. I'm all for seeing the kid play more because I do believe he's good enough, but I'd be more careful with him than I would be of players in other positions.

Just get him in the team ffs. Whats the point in having some of the best young players around and not playing them?

Utterly stupid. We always seem to do it.

Some of the occasions when the youngsters were used are still used to beat managers with. There's a critical mass of about 3 or maybe 4. Anything above that and it seems to go to pot.

Just get him in the team ffs. Whats the point in having some of the best young players around and not playing them?

Yeah, I want to see us line up with 19 outfield players against Wigan.

Some of the occasions when the youngsters were used are still used to beat managers with. There's a critical mass of about 3 or maybe 4. Anything above that and it seems to go to pot.

I know this but theres already plenty of sticks lying around to beat Mcleish with, im sure 1 more wont hurt :winkold:

I know this but theres already plenty of sticks lying around to beat Mcleish with, im sure 1 more wont hurt :winkold:

If it means losing a game then it will hurt!

In fairness to Eck, we have 3 very senior strikers ahead of Andy. Gabby, Bent & Keane are deservedly first choice. There's perhaps an argument for giving Andy more game time but only barely. We haven't been in positions to afford our youngsters much leeway. We've had our backs against the wall and Bent has been feeding off scraps. Someone like Gardner coming into the centre of the pitch can learn plenty from that adversity but someone like Weimann wouldn't. He'd hardly see the ball unless he came back to midfield to retrieve it and that's no good. I'm all for seeing the kid play more because I do believe he's good enough, but I'd be more careful with him than I would be of players in other positions.

keane's gone now i think.

If it means losing a game then it will hurt!

Well, theres every chance we will lose anyway the way things are going. I see your point though. Mcleish picks the kids, we lose, Mcleish gets the blame. But at the same time...Mcleish picks the seniors, we lose, Mcleish gets the blame.

Not many winners around Villa park these days, players or manager!

Or fans for that matter!

Â