Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

Newcastle away (obviously), Bolton home, Sunderland home and away, SHA home, Blackburn away, Arsenal home, Liverpool away, Man city away, Fulham home, Blackpool away, Wolves home, West brom away and Wigan home. All poor performances IMO

Sorry for going off topic

2 of those games we had a stand in manager, the others huge injuries and it still only equates to a handful of games. Fulham at home we should have won, we were the better the team and should have won comfortably, Young missed a pen and it knocked us back a bit.. but overall we outplayed them..Blackpool away was ok too, it wasnt an easy ground to go to yet we got a point and played ok...Like I say, the majority of the games we came out and played football, we did get some good results, yet was unfortunate with a few others..You could see with slight adjustments that this season, on the path we were on,we would have been a lot better.

Newcastle away (obviously), Bolton home, Sunderland home and away, SHA home, Blackburn away, Arsenal home, Liverpool away, Man city away, Fulham home, Blackpool away, Wolves home, West brom away and Wigan home. All poor performances IMO

Sorry for going off topic

2 of those games we had a stand in manager, the others huge injuries and it still only equates to a handful of games. Fulham at home we should have won, we were the better the team and should have won comfortably, Young missed a pen and it knocked us back a bit.. but overall we outplayed them..Blackpool away was ok too, it wasnt an easy ground to go to yet we got a point and played ok...Like I say, the majority of the games we came out and played football, we did get some good results, yet was unfortunate with a few others..You could see with slight adjustments that this season, on the path we were on,we would have been a lot better.

I weren't even against Houllier but on a sheer Houllier arguement and nothing to with McLeish

Home:

Blues, Blackpool, Arsenal, Tottenham, Sunderland, Fulham (a game Young didn't miss a penalty..), Wolves, Stoke, Wigan.

Away:

Sunderland, Blackburn, Liverpool, Man City, Blackpool, WBA.

we weren't at all good. That's 15 games.

Last year we lost 6-0 to Newcastle and had players suffering from injury and fatigue..We had players arguing and fighting, we had big changes to the side during a transition of removing Carew and bringing in Bent. We also had loads of injuries..Yet we still managed to play football and take the game to teams like Man United, Arsenal, Man City, Spurs, Fulham, Liverpool etc etc..In fact if you look over the whole of last season, it was only a handful of games where we played poor..For the majority we had great chances and should have won, had it not been for bad luck..

Look at the Blues game in the Cup..We out played them for the whole game yet lost..Look at the Fulham game, where Young missed a pen, again we were all over them for the majority of the game. Yet this season we have been out played more than we have taken the games to the opposition. That to me is a clueless manager..

That was my arguement..I was wrong about the Fulham game where Young missed a pen(I was thinking of another game)..Ive been answered with 15 games where some games you really have had to scrape the bottom of the barrel...I mean my whole point was "where we played poor"..Yet you list games like Blackpool away, when we had most of the play until Makoun got sent off. And Fulham at home where we lead twice and again came out a played well, passing the ball around(nothing like our last encounter at Craven Cottage)..Both games were hardly poor!

I said list the games where we played "poor"...Poor as in crap, as in no ideas, little chances, on the back foot all the time etc..There was only a handful out of the whole season..Yet 4 out 5 this season you could consider we were on the back foot and played poor..Despite which manager you prefer.

So even with Dunne throwing a paddy, the injuries piled high, the changes being implimented etc..We had a manager that despite all the odds, could still get a team playing nice football and took the game to the majority of our opponants...This season with all the friends in the world amongst the playing staff(which Houllier could have achieved and addressed this summer)we are playing crap and the team looking 2nd best for the most part with players looking out of sorts...And YES to keep this on topic, that also includes Fabian Delph..

I wouldn't say we were on the back foot for Wolves or Blackburn game. If we're saying we're on the back foot for the Everton game then add that game to the list from last year then because stats are similar, result identical.

Last season we completed 245 passes vs Everton, this year we completed 259.

Fulham last year away, 298 passes completed. Fulham this year away, 297 completed.

I didn't even add last years Fulham/Everton games to the list, yet you'd add them to this years list.

You could make 3 passes that create a chance and 20 passes that do nothing. The game v Everton last season wasnt identical because like im trying to point out..It was ANOTHER game we were winning until a dubious late penalty gifted Everton a point. This season Everton were all over us and we were lucky to get a point..

Last season we played football and matched(if not bettered)most the teams we played...We even bettered Man United and Chelsea yet only gained a point.

Yet 4 out of the 5 games this season already...We have looked the poorer side.

You could make 3 passes that create a chance and 20 passes that do nothing. The game v Everton last season wasnt identical because like im trying to point out..It was ANOTHER game we were winning until a dubious late penalty gifted Everton a point. This season Everton were all over us and we were lucky to get a point..

Last season we played football and matched(if not bettered)most the teams we played...We even bettered Man United and Chelsea yet only gained a point.

Yet 4 out of the 5 games this season already...We have looked the poorer side.

What about the dubious decision at 1-1 when Everton scored a clear goal, not allowed. Then we went down the other end to make it 2-1.

correct decision, we should have been 2-1 down ...so don't talk about bad decisions within that game!!

Also, I've highlighted the part in bold ....so explain how we were the poorer side vs Wolves?

We had 15 attempts on goal to their 3 attempts. Yet you say we are the poorer side? It was Wolves in the 2nd half taking their wingers off for defensive players to stop us from dominating.

We were the poorer side vs Newcastle - disappointing. Unquestionable, both performance and result.

We were the poorer side vs Fulham and Everton - I'm not disappointed by that. IMO, we have rarely ever dominated these teams even when we were better equipped. Two solid results.

Blackburn and Wolves. Better team in both IMO, Wolves was a bit disappointing, especially the result. Blackburn was a good performance and result.

Out of the 5 games we have played this year, I'd have expected us to take charge of all the home games and both away games, I'd have expected it to be even but more going for the home team.

From these fixtures last year.

Blackburn and Everton to me were pretty identical. (and do not forget at that point, we had Young, Downing, Coker all IMO improvements on what we have now in positions they took up)

Fulham, we played better last year but same result.

Wolves - played better this year and better result. Although still not great.

Newcastle - didn't play well last year or this year but got the result last year.

So overall, I don't see too much difference from last year to this year both results and performances.

All that said, I'm not exactly excited about the football we play or think it's good, I've already said in other threads it is too negative but the idea we dominated teams regularly under Houllier is just odd. He was more positive though.

Not sure exactly what this means though. Neither are great managers IMO. I thought Houllier could do a job here but given the comments since he's left and his clear lack of man management ability, I think it's a good job he left, while plainly McLeish is just a pretty average manager and too negative. We can do better than both.

Houllier was a useless manager, end of, with a similar record to McLeish.

Are we playing poorer football this year than last? For me the quality is about the same only this year the defending is slightly better! Anyway the biggest difference to last season is that we are drawing rather than losing games, still boring football though!

Are we playing poorer football this year than last? For me the quality is about the same only this year the defending is slightly better!

:lol:

laughable.. this season the football has been awful.

Just like last year!

Last year the football was rubbish! A load of demotivated players trying lots of 5 yard passes on the half way line? Hardly total football? More like total disgrace! At least there is some fight in the team now!

Are we playing poorer football this year than last? For me the quality is about the same only this year the defending is slightly better!

We played poor football last season as well for the majority.

Your right, mainly because we have a much worse squad of players.

but the defending has been better?

Parking the bus in front of goal will automatically let fewer goals in, but also make you score less goals up front. And what has happened? Cannot look at the defensive turnout as "positive" when the goalscoring has been exactly the opposite.

Parking the bus in front of goal will automatically let fewer goals in, but also make you score less goals up front. And what has happened? Cannot look at the defensive turnout as "positive" when the goalscoring has been exactly the opposite.

But we have scored just as many goals at this point compared to this time last year and against just as 'weak' opposition and conceaded 5 less. That seems like progress to me.

i like passing football like most fans but we havent played it at Villa park in a long time. Football last season was dreadful and uninspiring at times and manager and players were all involved.

Football isnt great this year but players look like they are trying and fighting unlike last year

But we have scored just as many goals at this point compared to this time last year and against just as 'weak' opposition and conceaded 5 less. That seems like progress to me.

With the limited players we have in terms of quality and the type of football we play there is no "progress".. limited at best including the manager is the word to sum it up.

What little I saw of him at Leeds, he was always getting forward and willing to shoot, but it appears that's been discouraged, given how deep he's staying most of the time. Imo, this stems from not having a true DM (which also prevents Petrov from contributing more going forward). Delph looks like he's caught between wanting to play further up the field and being required to cover defensively and collect the ball from defense (on the rare occasions they don't just hoof it). It's awkward and keeps him stuck in traffic and under pressure.

Â