Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

I thought his enthusiasm, ball control, skills were all good last night. Obviously struggled a little with the position he found himself in but gave a good account of himself anyway. I expect him to be an important player for us in the future.

Happy about this.

I'd say leave him left back if needed and I think it is down to two things, injuries and timing.

He is a ball winner, so in midfield is is going to be sticking in face to face tackles and getting involved in roughing up midfielders, as a left back he has to time many challenges as he really is the last line of defence, wingers are generally weaker which will help his confidence and also take a little less pressure of his recent injury.

He seems to be comfortable on the ball and quick enough to get back so perhaps this new position is a way of settling him into the Premiership before allowing him room to link up midfield and attack? If he can stay injury free and improve his positioning while defending so that he doesn't have to slide every time I can see him playing a huge positive part in our future.

He played Balotteli onside for the second goal and richards muscled past him once. All in all he did well again in the makeshift position. He made a great pass to gabby (48.40 minutes) that should have been a goal chance.

I know they picked on Chris Herd but Delph accomplished himself well enough.

Another game under his belt and a return to midfield would be most welcome.

I'd say leave him left back if needed and I think it is down to two things, injuries and timing.

I disagree. As much as I like seeing Delph in the team, the fact is that he cost us 1 goal last night and I think he might have been fairly responsible for a 2nd (though I have to watch again). Defenders are judged on their mistakes, not what they do right - in that sense it's the total opposite of a forward. Richard Dunne can make 20 headers or clearances in a match but if he makes one balls-up for a goal then that's what gets remembered. Delph is playing in a position where his mistakes will be costly for the team. And he will make those mistakes, it's only normal. For me, Clark has to go back to leftback and one of Collins or Cuéllar goes in alongside Dunne.

Delph was one of the best Villa players last night, IMO. BUT he is for sure not a left back. He did ok, yestersay, and ok against Blackburn, but it's still quite easy to see that he isn't one. He's a mdifielder.

I disagree. As much as I like seeing Delph in the team, the fact is that he cost us 1 goal last night and I think he might have been fairly responsible for a 2nd (though I have to watch again). Defenders are judged on their mistakes, not what they do right - in that sense it's the total opposite of a forward. Richard Dunne can make 20 headers or clearances in a match but if he makes one balls-up for a goal then that's what gets remembered. Delph is playing in a position where his mistakes will be costly for the team. And he will make those mistakes, it's only normal. For me, Clark has to go back to leftback and one of Collins or Cuéllar goes in alongside Dunne.

Indeed.

I would say that he's possibly warranted a starting berth in central midfield at some point in the next 3 games though. On the assumption that Pires will drop out for Bolton away, there's a place there to be given the Petrov, Delph or Bannan.

He did play him onside but I wouldnt blame him solely for the goal.

He cleared off the line (68.27) and intercepted to stop a certain goal (34.54)

Now he's match fit back into midfield.

Clark must stay where he is now. Villa's number 1 CB.

Unfortunately those other incidents are his job. That's what he's there for. That's exactly my point. If he's stopping goals then 'so he should'. But if he's causing them then he's a liability. Call it harsh and thankless but that's the life of a defender.

Unfortunately those other incidents are his job. That's what he's there for. That's exactly my point. If he's stopping goals then 'so he should'. But if he's causing them then he's a liability. Call it harsh and thankless but that's the life of a defender.

Yes but someone should have stopped YaYa from practising dropping balls on a sixpence for the second goal. I understand you're 'mistakes you're remembered for', however he wasnt a liability at Left Back and nor was he having another bottom punctured as some thought.

It really was a mesmerising pass.

RE: Him giving the ball away; if you class him passing in front of Petrov/Gabby/Bradley/Heskey, so that they ran onto it, and them not moving, as giving it away... then yes.

I liked that he was the outlet, most of the time he was available, and the players have a LOT of confidence in him because they were always looking for him. Excited by the prospect of him doing that magic in midfield. Him and Ash could work really well together.

Don't know if I am missing something, but he seems a messive dissapointment to me ......gave the ball away quite a lot last night.

Did he?

I thought he was good last night. He was one of our only decent attacking outlets (which is odd as he was playing at leftback).

Maybe the reason he lost it a few times was because he was one of the players who was confident enough to move forward and pass forward.

Sorry, liability was a bit strong. But if he's going to be causing goals through inexperience and bad positioning then it doesn't matter if he does any amount of good things through a game. That's just what I think. I also see him as integral to our future midfield and anything that distracts him from that is also not particularly a good thing either.

Bottom line for me is that I would only play him at leftback if there was absolutely no alternative selection from within the defensive ranks.

Bottom line for me is that I would only play him at leftback if there was absolutely no alternative selection from within the defensive ranks.

Agreed BOF, but last night he was the last possible selection (if not NRC).

You're told very early on when learning your game, that when you get your chance, no matter what position you're in. Give it everything. We saw from his abilities at Left Back, that he will be pushing for First Team, and I'd like to see him against Bolton with NRC in the middle. IF we get a Collins/Cuellar/etc back.

Â