Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

Of his football, I think we'll miss him a lot.  From a football perspective, I'm pretty gutted that we'll lose one of our better players.

Friends always asked me about benteke, I was always of the opinion that we could afford to lose him for the right money providing it was re-invested and we kept the engine of the midfield which at the time for me included clevery and delpth.    2 of them down already.

But on the bright side, we have our exciting new player Idrissa Gueye that I know absolutely nothing about...but a lot of comparisons with Delph, possibly a replacedment lined up already :)

All in all it's been awful again for Villa since the West Ham win. The Southampton shambles, Burnley, Cup Final, Cleverley not joining us, no takeover,the Benteke saga, and now the captain is  leaving on a cut price fee.

Still at least he scored a couple of great FA Cup Goals this season......

• Like 1

It all seems a bit strange that he is fronting the new kit campaign if he knows full we that he is leaving. When do you think it was decided? Were the club aware that he was thinking of leaving? It just makes our club even more of a laughing stock! All players are replacable but the way this has happened, and the amount! Sterling for 50m?? Is he 6 times the player that Delph is?

I remember when Man City were playing against Lincoln City in the old 3rd division, now they're able to buy trophies... Look how far we have fallen behind...

Strangest move yet, to feature with the captains arm band...I guess you just have to with business as usual, difficult to strip the band before a deal is done right? I can only imagine the club weren't expecting him to leave so soon, but if this clause is true then that is naive.

Anyway, it's all about bums on seats...I'm sure the giving the impression that Delph was staying helped shift a few more season tickets.

If the club knew that he was leaving, but decided to have him as captain in the kit launch, just to sell season tickets then this is shows you just how little the club care about the fans... We are the jokes of the premier league, we are a relegation waiting to happen, we a budget, support team just to provide opposition and players for the teams that matter, the ones the media wank over on a daily basis.. We are not credible anymore, so I can't invest, and for that reason... I'm out...

• Like 1

If the club knew that he was leaving, but decided to have him as captain in the kit launch, just to sell season tickets then this is shows you just how little the club care about the fans... We are the jokes of the premier league, we are a relegation waiting to happen, we a budget, support team just to provide opposition and players for the teams that matter, the ones the media wank over on a daily basis.. We are not credible anymore, so I can't invest, and for that reason... I'm out...

lol, don't take it so much to heart man...I don't think there is anything sinister in it all...I very much doubt that they "knew he was leaving" and were taking a big gamble on hoping he would stay.

They're a business first and foremost, we can't have our cakes and eat it...we want them to compete and.they have to profit to compete and some times risks have to be taken...gambling on a situation even knowing there is a high probability it could backfire.

Yes I think they made the most of a situation without being completely honest, but I don't think they're doing it out of "no care for the fans".

Yeah the front of the marketing of new kit, captains armband and days later leaving.....all just a disaster for us as a club as we won't believe anything in the future and for Delph nobody will believe his integrity in the future

• Like 2

I believe the club had no choice on this contract, the real problem lies in the fact that they allowed his contract to run down to such a level after investing so much money and time into him through his injuries.

I just feel that the club needed to give the fans some good news at the time he signed, he genuinely didn't want to leave for nothing but he wanted an easy route out. I think the statement was just plain mistake on his part.

I share your pain. But players come and go but there is only one Aston Villa. Sod em. UTV.

Yeah the front of the marketing of new kit, captains armband and days later leaving.....all just a disaster for us as a club as we won't believe anything in the future and for Delph nobody will believe his integrity in the future

Unfortunate circumstances, if they had just got another season / half season out before this happening.  At least give them some time to shoe in new players, build up some positives to make his departure easier to swallow.

As it is, I can only imagine no-one was expecting it to happen so quickly.  It's a really shit time to happen right now and every one of us is wondering what is going to happen here on in,  we'll have a team made up of only players that haven't even played in the premier league yet - suppose that's a bit exciting too.

Cleverley,Delph and most likely Benteke leaving all point to the reality that we arent about to be sold...

Net summer spend is 1mill

I don't really think it points to anything either way. In all likelihood new owners wouldn't suddenly make us top 4 contenders.

The situation feels strange, once the release clause was made public surely we should have been treated with respect and dignity and either Delph or the club admitted yes it did exist rather than release that stupid photo of him kissing the captains armband...

While he has been a great player for us and will be a loss, he has been playing in a woeful side which certainly made him look better, he is certainly replaceable, so while disappointing it's not the end for he world.

I actually feel sorry for him, if he were really that good then surely at least one of the other top 5 clubs would have made a bid, Spurs definitely and even Saints, he is certainly worth more than 8m.  But no only Man City...  And only because he is English, so sad.

The situation feels strange, once the release clause was made public surely we should have been treated with respect and dignity and either Delph or the club admitted yes it did exist rather than release that stupid photo of him kissing the captains armband...

While he has been a great player for us and will be a loss, he has been playing in a woeful side which certainly made him look better, he is certainly replaceable, so while disappointing it's not the end for he world.

I actually feel sorry for him, if he were really that good then surely at least one of the other top 5 clubs would have made a bid, Spurs definitely and even Saints, he is certainly worth more than 8m.  But no only Man City...  And only because he is English, so sad.

Sucks that the richest club in the league are going to get the biggest steal (cheapest) of the transfer window...they don't deserve it.

I actually think Delph is pretty stupid to go there. Surely he must realize that he's just going to be a squad filler and an extra English player for the quota? Maybe he'll prove me wrong and do really well there but I find it hard to believe that nobody else was after him. His England career is going to be dead within a year.

Edited by Mantis

I was very happy when he signed his new deal because I thought that he would go on to become a better player than he has been. I'm not sure that will ever happen now he is going to City, and of course I no longer care whether he reaches his potential or not. He has been good for us, sometimes very good, but he isn't Man City level. At least it is only 10 days into the transfer window/pre season, so plenty of time to prepare for life without him.

Surprised at how happy the Man City fans are about this on Blue Moon. They really should be aiming higher than Delph.

They must be over the blue moon, when you're taking another premier league clubs better players.

Because they both agreed to an 8M Clause. Why on earth would Delph do that interview when he knew he would leave if a bid came in. On the other hand Lambert and Villa needed a massive boost at that time.

The only people benefiting from that interview was the club. I'm convinced Delph was told to say those things. Pure PR stunt to get the fans back in the ground during a period of very low attendance,. Delph agreed with it for whatever reason. (Prob sell on fee). On top of that he was told to back a manager that was under massive pressure.

Come on Mantis you're an intelligent guy. Think about it logically. What would Delph have achieved from saying all those things when he already planned to leave this summer if a bid came in?

What exactly do the club get from it either? They benefited from the deal itself, not all that BS about loyalty. Why would they get him to talk about loyalty so much knowing that he was going to leave a few months later? It certainly doesn't make them look good.

I can only say getting the fans onside and selling more tickets, we had Lambert as the manager at the time right? They must have been desperate for any good news to give sales a boost at the time.

As I said, the contract renewal alone was enough.

Who arranged and conducted the interviews? Was Delph supposed to decline them or even worse say nothing in the interviews? The AVFC questions were directed in such a way there was no other way to answer. Pure PR Stunt. Nothing natural about it.

I'm not saying that the way the new contract itself was revealed wasn't done so in a way to get positive PR, I just don't buy this idea that they got Delph to talk up loyalty when they knew he was going leave soon anyway.

• Like 1

Â