Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

If there's ever a situation in a pub/night club that might turn nasty; not often at all thankfully; I find that if I slightly roughen my Dublin accent, it has much more gravitas :twisted: I don't have a Tallaght accent (thank god), but it's there in my locker if I need it :nod: Amidst country folk, Tallaght's reputation very much precedes it.

If there's ever a situation in a pub/night club that might turn nasty; not often at all thankfully; I find that if I slightly roughen my Dublin accent, it has much more gravitas :twisted: I don't have a Tallaght accent (thank god), but it's there in my locker if I need it :nod: Amidst country folk, Tallaght's reputation very much precedes it.

I had taken a few American mates over to Dublin in September and at some point near the end of the night they ended up getting into one of those situations outside of a club into which I stormed over and brought out the aforementioned rough Dublin accent. Worked a charm and situation defused.

I find my Hull (ull) accent can have the same efffect
The Hull accent is strange. It owes as much to scouse as it does to Yorkshire, no idea why.

I find my Hull (ull) accent can have the same efffect
The Hull accent is strange. It owes as much to scouse as it does to Yorkshire, no idea why.

I never realise how bad it actually is until I hear somebody from hull on tv.

I suppose thats the same for most regional accents however

Oh Paul McGrath yes! I'm convinced Irish people (well maybe just Dubliners) should never be 'that' side of the camera. I don't know what it is but we just don't come across very well on camera at all IMO.

Oh Paul McGrath yes! I'm convinced Irish people (well maybe just Dubliners) should never be 'that' side of the camera. I don't know what it is but we just don't come across very well on camera at all IMO.
Funnily enough, I think the Dublin accent (at least the version of it that I think of as 'the' Dublin accent) comes across very well. Unlike say, Norn Iron (psychotic and impenetrable) or Cork (slow and simple-minded), Dubliners tend to sound somewhat 'street savvy' and... ironically amused. IMHO. :|

Back on topic. Getting a great haircut. I only need a 2 on top and 1 on back & sides (with blade on neck) so, as a purely clippers job, I'm often treated with disdain. Sit down, zoom zoom, job done in 2 minutes flat :angry: The bit of hair I have needs to be done right precisely because there ain't much of it. Anyhoo, my barber gets a new recruit. Always a nervous time. Could go either way (could be good, could be shit). Turns out he's bloody fantastic. So now I specifically request this guy, and because I request him he does an even better job. I suppose this probably shouldn't cheer me up as much as it does :) It's just hard to find a good barber when your haircut is bottom of the food chain.

Dubliners tend to sound somewhat 'street savvy' and... ironically amused. IMHO. :|
That's a good way of putting it. Particularly the amused part. I think it's the uncomfortableness in front of camera that makes us smirky and cocksure. Perhaps that's why I pick up on the 'uncomfortable' where non-natives mightn't necessarily. And the accent does lend itself to street savvy, even if the person doesn't.

Dubliners tend to sound somewhat 'street savvy' and... ironically amused. IMHO. :|
That's a good way of putting it. Particularly the amused part. I think it's the uncomfortableness in front of camera that makes us smirky and cocksure. Perhaps that's why I pick up on the 'uncomfortable' where non-natives mightn't necessarily. And the accent does lend itself to street savvy, even if the person doesn't.
It always makes me think of the great Dave Allen.

Making my husband laugh when I say something witty. I should be annoyed that he clearly doesn't think I'm clever very often but I just like hearing him laugh. And my sister and I making up songs while looking for things.

Me and my brother do that, most commonly to the Coldplay song 'Fix you'..

'When you've got the AIDs and you neeeeeeed a poooOOOoooo' :lol:

good times.

*laughing* We normally use oldies songs. Although when we are bored no style is safe. 'well where oh where can my sock beeee? i bet the dryer kept it from meeee, its in sock heaven which can't be no good. how do i keep my feet warm when i leeeaaaaave a this a rooooom? steeeaaaaaaaaam steeeeEEEEeeeeaaaaam'

We do twisted ones as well. But we seem to sing more when we can't find stuff. It's dorky but I love it

Back on topic. Getting a great haircut. I only need a 2 on top and 1 on back & sides (with blade on neck) so, as a purely clippers job, I'm often treated with disdain. Sit down, zoom zoom, job done in 2 minutes flat :angry: The bit of hair I have needs to be done right precisely because there ain't much of it. Anyhoo, my barber gets a new recruit. Always a nervous time. Could go either way (could be good, could be shit). Turns out he's bloody fantastic. So now I specifically request this guy, and because I request him he does an even better job. I suppose this probably shouldn't cheer me up as much as it does :) It's just hard to find a good barber when your haircut is bottom of the food chain.

How can anyone get clippers wrong?

Â