Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

Had home fried chicken this evening with potatoes, courgettes and pak choi, followed by scones, cream and blackcurrant jam. ALL the veg and fruit came off our allotment, and was **** delicious. Not bad, to say we only started with a dandelion patch a couple of months ago. Well pleased.

if there's a VT prize for biggest courgette I've got a contender, just been up the allotment for the first time in a little while and it was like invasion of the body snatchers, foot long fat courgettes so it looks like stir fry tomorrow

but look what's starting.....

BtLPJ1BIYAE8SS9.jpg

• Like 1

mid to late 60s music, it has a certain magic and charm about it. it paints that era so well and beautiful although it wernt all like that i know. just watched forest gump again and i absolutely love the soundtrack to it, i love the hippie image and everything about that era.

I'm not about to disagree with that. The soundtrack of my youth.

I'm pretty sure he meant the 1960s, Mike.

• Like 4

Had home fried chicken this evening with potatoes, courgettes and pak choi, followed by scones, cream and blackcurrant jam. ALL the veg and fruit came off our allotment, and was **** delicious. Not bad, to say we only started with a dandelion patch a couple of months ago. Well pleased.

How do you find the time?

• Like 1

How do you find the time?

Guess...
  • Like 1

i call it pak choi, but there you go.

Not to put anyone down, as veg growing is pretty hard, but arent courgettes the easiest thing in the world to grow, year after year we get loads and loads of them, which is handy, this year we have gone with the yellow ones. Sweet corn last year let us down so we have gone against it favouring purple brocolli instead.

courgette is just about one the easiest, you've just got to remember to pick them, onions might be even easier - we're almost self sufficient in onions and garlic

cannot grow brocolli for some reason

but yeah, sweetcorn we've gone industrial scale

also done about 6 or 8 varieties of tomato this year, we had loads of variety last year by accident and donation and it was a revelation

i call it pak choi, but there you go.

Not to put anyone down, as veg growing is pretty hard, but arent courgettes the easiest thing in the world to grow, year after year we get loads and loads of them, which is handy, this year we have gone with the yellow ones. Sweet corn last year let us down so we have gone against it favouring purple brocolli instead.

Yep, courgettes are stupidly easy, so much so that we're going to have a huge surplus. 

But we've never done it before so, it's still a bit of a buzz. It wasn't a "hey, look how skilled I am" thing, just a "hey, this is good". 

• Like 1

Absolutely and hope I didnt come across that way. We are still new to veg growing and we delight in anything we produce being edible, courgettes I will be eating until autumn as it just keeps giving the plant. We also have some runner beans, some chilis, toms of course and I really hope this brocolli takes. 

• Like 2

Â