Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

Can't imagine being as busy as you and being as chirpy as you usually are at the same time!

For consistency, shouldn't "you" be in all caps?

Two consecutive emphasised words. Tricky.

I think I'd italicise "and", and leave the "you" as it is.

(Yes, I know, '"and", and' is a bit clunky, isn't it?) ;)

• Like 2

Can't imagine being as busy as you and being as chirpy as you usually are at the same time!

For consistency, shouldn't "you" be in all caps?

Two consecutive emphasised words. Tricky.

I think I'd italicise "and", and leave the "you" as it is.

(Yes, I know, '"and", and' is a bit clunky, isn't it?) ;)

Whoosh?

• Like 1

Been reading about about Erasmus Darwin (Charles D's granddad), and was impressed by a website with a nice summary of why he was so cool.

Erasmus Darwin (1731–1802) was one of the most erudite, enthusiastic and dedicated scientists/inventors of his day. He completed a major translation from Latin to English of the works of Carl Linnaeus (1707–1778), who devised the plant classification that forms the basis of modern botany. His many inventions included a speaking machine, a copying machine, and a carriage steering mechanism later used in cars. Indeed, ‘There is scarcely an idea or invention in the modern world that Erasmus Darwin did not originate or foresee, from evolution to eugenics, from airplanes to submarines, from antiseptics to psychoanalysis, from talking-machines to telephones.’

He began his chosen profession of medicine at Lichfield in 1756. His reputation as a physician was established when he saved the life of a young man from a prominent local family, whom other doctors had declared to be incurable. Because his cures were ‘unfashionably frequent’ his practice gradually became the largest in the English Midlands. King George III asked him to become his personal physician in London, but Erasmus declined.

In about 1766, he co-founded the Lunar Society—a social club for the great scientists, industrialists and natural philosophers of his day. It has been called ‘the think tank of the Industrial Revolution’ and was the most famous English scientific society of the eighteenth century, after the Royal Society. Members included James Watt (of steam-engine fame), Joseph Priestley (the discoverer of oxygen), William Murdoch (the inventor of gas-lighting), Josiah Wedgwood (the great potter) and Samuel Galton (a wealthy industrialist). Others in America linked to the Society included Thomas Jefferson and Benjamin Franklin.

His love of food (particularly fruits, sugar, cream and butter) was matched by his dislike of exercise, and by the age of 46 he had grown so corpulent that a semi-circle had to be cut out of his dining table to accommodate his girth at meal times. Married twice, he sired 12 Darwin offspring and, in between marriages, a further two (known) illegitimate daughters by a Miss Parker. These girls were raised in his home with his other children, and later were the inspiration for a lengthy tract by Erasmus on female education.

Erasmus was anti-Christianity, anti-slavery, and pro the American and French Revolutions. An outstanding poet, he often wrote his opinions and scientific ideas in verse, the most notable of which were The Botanic Garden (published in two parts, 1789, 1791), which consisted of 4,384 lines of perfectly rhyming couplets, and The Temple of Nature (published posthumously in 1803).

Erasmus tried to appease the church-going culture of his day by referring to ‘The Great First Cause’, highlighted in capitals, but quickly affirmed that, once started, evolution needs no divine help, but proceeds ‘by its own inherent ability’. He was strongly anti-Christian, and included ‘Credulity, Superstitious Hope, and the Fear of Hell in his catalogue of diseases.’

Then I got to this bit:

So, Erasmus cast a long shadow which, via his grandson, has made atheism intellectually respectable and changed the worldview of Western mankind from belief in the Creator God to the worship of humanistic hedonism, free from any sense of accountability to the God who is ‘Judge of all the earth’ (Genesis 18:25).

The message for us today is to consider what we pass on to our children and grandchildren. We have the responsibility to teach them the true biblical worldview, which is foundational, not only to our need for salvation, but also to the way of it—through repentance and faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, in His death and Resurrection. This will give meaning to their lives, so that they need not flounder in the sea of uncertainty of a man-made anti-God theory, which is now ‘the big lie’ of 21st-century thinking.

...and realised I was reading a creationist website. Link

Keep putting this stuff out there guys, you're doing a great job. :clap:

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2

Cracking find. I enjoyed the essay about Dawkins on there.

Which one? They're more obsessed with him than small heath fans are with the Villa.

Similar reason, too.

Cracking find. I enjoyed the essay about Dawkins on there.

Which one? They're more obsessed with him than small heath fans are with the Villa.

Similar reason, too.

Found this gem:

234-how-to-3.jpg

which I found by clicking on a link in the following sentence:

And our report of the Columbine High School massacre documents the on-going effects of evolutionary thinking in the young (How to build a bomb in the public school system).

I'm beginning to think it's a fictional parody.

She can take down my particulars.. etc... 

My new pad cheers me up... had a crap day at work and come home and sat down and feel better. I love it and its mine! (okay, still a big mortgage owing on it but lets ignore that for the time being)  :)

• Like 1

Â