Ciaran Clark

TheSufferingVilla

More technical ability than Busquets?

Busquets is one of the most intelligent and gifted footballers there is, his passing is so smooth, one and two touch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KjGumJOjvE&feature=related

0.15 - 1.00, look at him, he has a beautiful touch.

You don't play for Spain and Barca in midfield pretty much every game unless you're a very gifted footballer.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see the first comparison at all. Nothing like GB IMO. Yes he's got a similar comfort on the ball - a calm demeanour in possession, but that's just a sign of a good footballer. He's (IMO) not got the same natural spatial awareness as GB, who has always been brilliant at knowing where to be in midfield, and CC's passing is not as good by a long way. He is though better defensively and much better in the air. Two good players, but quite different.

I do agree he needs to play games to continue to improve. Not every game, but this season he needs a run in the side. I guess he'll get one, too.

I don't think you can compare CC to GB now - but perhaps when GB was younger?

GB started as a defender and didn't have a great idea of where to be in midfield initially, though he has since learnt.

As for CC's awareness - he has played with Bannan for some time now and it was his partnership with him last year that saw him at his best. I honestly think that with more time in an unchanging midfield he will improve even more.

The future looks good for CC and I would like to see him used more often - perhaps in the place of a struggling Delph or even to replace the less talented Collins.

GB started as a defender

Not correct.

Started as a midfielder, and was drafted into the back 3 as we had nobody else.

Following the unsworth debacle I think ...

I don't see the first comparison at all. Nothing like GB IMO. Yes he's got a similar comfort on the ball - a calm demeanour in possession, but that's just a sign of a good footballer. He's (IMO) not got the same natural spatial awareness as GB, who has always been brilliant at knowing where to be in midfield, and CC's passing is not as good by a long way. He is though better defensively and much better in the air. Two good players, but quite different.

I do agree he needs to play games to continue to improve. Not every game, but this season he needs a run in the side. I guess he'll get one, too.

GB started as a defender and didn't have a great idea of where to be in midfield initially, though he has since learnt.

In fact, the whole of that sentence is wrong IMO.

When we signed Barry wasn’t he actually a midfielder who we played in defence?

You are correct Mr Barnes. Saw his debut for us in CM too, and it looked like we had a great CM on our hands.

Busquets is one of the most intelligent and gifted footballers there is, his passing is so smooth, one and two touch.

You don't play for Spain and Barca in midfield pretty much every game unless you're a very gifted footballer.

i think he is a donkey who looks completely out of place in the barcelona team, the likes of xavi and iniesta make him look good, not to mention the fact that he is a nasty piece of work

SGC you never fail to disappoint.

Busquets got into the team ahead of Toure because he fits their system very well because he is really good on the ball and at keeping possession ticking while also being able to do some defensive work. I think his behavior is terrible and would love to see him get banned for his theatrics but he is a great football player and Clark won't be as good as him on the ball or defensively.

i think he is a donkey who looks completely out of place in the barcelona team, the likes of xavi and iniesta make him look good, not to mention the fact that he is a nasty piece of work

You are of course completely wrong. It is like saying something is red when it is in fact blue. You can say it, everybody would wonder why you are saying such a thing, but in the end everyone would know that it was just for attention. Tool of the highest order.

I don't think we should be so harsh on SGC, one of the most entertaining parts of this forum!

I can certainly see where the Gareth Barry comparisons are coming from, there are similarities. There are differences though and I think Clark will become a very good centre defender rather than a defensive midfielder in the long term. He can do a job there if needs be.

I'm huge Bannan fan but if you were to ask me which was most likely to really make it over each of the last 3 pre-seasons I would have gone for Clark over him, Bannan, Albrighton and The Fonz.

Well Barry Bannan is far more technically gifted then Clark (though, Clark is more of a complete footballer IMO), but yet you dont rate Bannan but Clark is better than Busquets?

You work in weird ways SGC.

Yeah but you only need to watch Barca on a regular basis to realise that's wrong and read comments of pep and other players.

Just watch him play, never gives it away.

i don't rate busquets at all, i think he is very average with limited technical ability

Ive always thought youve recieved too much stick on these forums but get a grip will you?

I generally think you shouldnt compare a youngster to world class proven player as they will never be on par.

Ive always thought youve recieved too much stick on these forums but get a grip will you?

I generally think you shouldnt compare a youngster to world class proven player as they will never be on par.

worst part is Clark is not a youngster. only a year younger than Biscuits

i don't rate busquets at all, i think he is very average with limited technical ability

What you think, and using that as hard material for a discussion, is so far out of value it's crazy. Like a nazi officer explaining why he did what he did and how it came to that.

The simple scenario is that if Busquets was suddenly playing for Villa in January he would make us look pretty sexy - and if Clark started to play for Barcelona they would be throwing pigs' heads at Guardiola before half time.

The simple scenario is that if Busquets was suddenly playing for Villa in January he would make us look pretty sexy - and if Clark started to play for Barcelona they would be throwing pigs' heads at Guardiola before half time.

Busquets is an excellent player playing in his favoured position in a very strong team. He would not, IMO, make us look sexy. This is not his game. He could be very effective for us and improve us as a team though.

Clark is a very good young player. He could look very good in a Barcelona side with the right players alongside him. He would look very good, IMO, in a Villa team played in the right position and with the right players played alongside him.

IMO, there are few individuals, at the top level, i.e. Premier League and La Liga, that can make a team look good on their own without strong team mates playing well alongside and being well set up/managed.

Â