Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd give Koeman a chance, we're going to finish mid-table so we may aswell take a bit of a risk instead of settling for some steady eddy bluenose cu*t like Curbishley.
Yeh bring in Koeman and support him with a DOF - someone like GTmkIII might be an idea. Do I not like that.

You can just picture it. "Ronald, I've got you a nice young lad called Michael Boulding..." :lol:

Curbishley has said in the past that joining Villa as a player was a mistake & he did not enjoy his time at the club, enough said!
when was that ffs,back in 1970 or something,this is the year 2010 and a lot has changed here since.

Despite his mixed successes and failures, he http://tinyurl.com/38yu9kf is the only manager that has come out and said something that sounds exciting and ambitious. He is also a world renowned name that will give us a figurehead again. I'm sure he will also be able to use a better and stronger scouting network to pick off some of the top talent in europe. All I want is for someone to come in that will improve the technical and tactical side to our game and someone who isn't scared of pursuing players from other countries.

Read this on H & V assume its ok to post....? Please remove if not :)

I've been having a few discussions with sources close to the Villa today, and here's the curent state of play:

Due to the timing of Martin's departure Kevin Mac was given the job on a short-term basis to provide stability and continuity. His knowledge of the players and success with the reserve team made this the logical choice, despite the last couple of results.

Interviews for the job will be taking place early next week. A manager could have been appointed already, but we don't want just anyone - we need someone who understands how important the job of Aston Villa manager is. The right guy is out there, but getting him takes time, and when he arrives he will take the club forward.

Above all the overall thinking, the long-term plans and ambitions of everyone at Villa Park haven't changed.

I for one am glad they have spent the last two weeks bringing up a short list of candidates to interview.

Managing Villa is a great job imo and should not just be rushed into, the man needs to realise he is going to be managing our special club and its not just a stepping stone he needs to understand the project like MON (supposedly) did and get on with everyone.

Surely folk can see we could appoint anyone like Phil Brown straight away, lets make sure we get the right one...?

We've only lost one premier league game so in simple terms its not the end of the world but performance wise its a bit shit.

Lets make sure we get the right bloke...

8 trophies in 3 different leagues average?? I think he would be suited to the English league. Look at Ancelotti at Chelsea, for the past few seasons, his Milan team were a shadow of their former selves compared to their neighbours Inter yet he has come over here and been an instant success.

out of the managers that are available i think koeman should be given a go as it seems he's the only one ive read about that would love to come to the villa and at least try and give us some attacking football,at least he's made a statement to the press giving his desire to come to us.

Read this on H & V assume its ok to post....? Please remove if not :)

I've been having a few discussions with sources close to the Villa today, and here's the curent state of play:

Due to the timing of Martin's departure Kevin Mac was given the job on a short-term basis to provide stability and continuity. His knowledge of the players and success with the reserve team made this the logical choice, despite the last couple of results.

Interviews for the job will be taking place early next week. A manager could have been appointed already, but we don't want just anyone - we need someone who understands how important the job of Aston Villa manager is. The right guy is out there, but getting him takes time, and when he arrives he will take the club forward.

Above all the overall thinking, the long-term plans and ambitions of everyone at Villa Park haven't changed.

I for one am glad they have spent the last two weeks bringing up a short list of candidates to interview.

Managing Villa is a great job imo and should not just be rushed into, the man needs to realise he is going to be managing our special club and its not just a stepping stone he needs to understand the project like MON (supposedly) did and get on with everyone.

Surely folk can see we could appoint anyone like Phil Brown straight away, lets make sure we get the right one...?

We've only lost one premier league game so in simple terms its not the end of the world but performance wise its a bit shit.

Lets make sure we get the right bloke...

**** Hell. It's that time of year again when I start agreeing with Jez!!

I hope the post from H&V has some truth, never sure about ITK type posts but it sounds plausible and sensible. I guess we just have to get through the Everton game with minimum damage and then not lose any key players before the window closes then it's over to RL and PF to get the right man in. That two week break has turned out to be a real blessing.

Although the apparent inactivity is uber frustrating it's so important to make the right appointment. We could have appointed the likes of Phil Brown the same day MON left but that's not the answer as we all know.

**** Hell. It's that time of year again when I start agreeing with Jez!!

:lol:

Pipe down Stevo its happened a few times now ;)

Aston Villa are suddenly a club in crisis after Europa League exit

From buoyancy to despondency: The opening day Premier League victory over West Ham is a distant memory

Stuart James Saturday 28 August 2010 00.06 BST

Aston Villa caretaker manager Kevin MacDonald has not ruled himself out of the job but admits he has been naive. Photograph: Nick Potts/PA

West Ham United were brushed aside, Randy Lerner was up on his feet applauding and the Aston Villa players were queuing up to talk about how enjoyable it was to play under Kevin MacDonald. That was only a fortnight ago but the buoyant mood that accompanied the first day of the Premier League season at Villa Park has started to feel like a trick of the mind. Dumped out of Europe, without a manager and reeling from a 6-0 defeat to Newcastle United, Villa are a club in crisis.

It is little wonder Lerner looked so concerned as he surveyed the wreckage of Thursday night's chastening home defeat to Rapid Vienna in the Europa League play-off round. The Villa chairman had just seen 10 months and 38 matches worth of effort to finish sixth in the Premier League go to waste in the blink of an eye, while the man he was pinning his hopes on to succeed Martin O'Neill stood powerless in the dugout as embarrassing defensive mistakes unfolded in front of him.

Yesterday MacDonald still refused to rule himself in or out but it is almost inconceivable now that Lerner will turn to the reserve-team manager. Stilian Petrov was leading the calls for the caretaker to be appointed after the West Ham game but the Villa captain chose his words more carefully in the wake of the Rapid Vienna debacle. "We would like to know who is going to take charge, who is going to be involved," Petrov said. "I hope he can be announced before the window closes so he can get some players in."

If only it was that simple. The decision to give MacDonald an extended spell in charge was as much a reflection of the club's faith in a man, who is hugely respected for his work behind the scenes at the club for the past 15 years, as it was an indictment of the list of candidates Villa have to choose from. Trawling through the names on the betting market, it is tempting to wonder whether there has ever been a more uninspiring field for one of English football's most prestigious jobs.

That would not have been the case had O'Neill left at the end of last season, when his relationship with Lerner was already unravelling, but his decision to quit five days before the start of the new campaign has left Villa high and dry.

Villa would have fancied their chances of tempting Martin Jol from Ajax, and Mark Hughes would have jumped at the opportunity to take over, but both those doors were closed by the time O'Neill packed his bags, leaving nothing but cast-offs to sift through.

Bob Bradley, the USA coach, and Sven-Goran Eriksson, the former England manager, have expressed interest in the position, although much more important than that is the fact that Villa have no interest in them. It is understood Lerner had not approached anyone else about the job before the Rapid Vienna second leg.

That stance, however, will have to change quickly or the owner risks seeing the solid foundations he has put in place during the past four years, and the progress Villa have made on the pitch over that period, go to ruin.

This was always going to be a tough campaign for Villa because of the changing dynamics at the top of the Premier League, where Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur have emerged as serious players over the past 12 months, but the inherent danger at the moment is that the Midlands club end up drifting down to mid-table and beyond. That may seem a little over the top, but any team that lose 6-0 to a club who were promoted from the Championship require more than a little tinkering to put things right.

Although MacDonald was at the helm for that match at St James' Park and has taken his share of the blame for the defeat, admitting he was a little naive with his team selection and tactics, he is entitled to feel badly let down by the players. After all, with the exception of the departure of James Milner and the arrival of Stephen Ireland, MacDonald has been picking from broadly the same squad that finished sixth last season and got to the Carling Cup final and FA Cup semi-finals.

O'Neill became frustrated that Villa supporters were not satisfied with that level of achievement, although not too many fans would be complaining if they were offered that outcome for the season ahead now. The challenge for Lerner, who has been unable to do any wrong in the eyes of the Villa fans up until this point, is to find someone capable of delivering that level of success. It is an unenviable task and one he needs a solution to quickly.

Clicky

When people are seriously debating the merits of Curbishley or Warnock for the job it's little wonder Randy is taking his time.

no its little wonder we don't have a winning mentality

8 trophies in 3 different leagues average?? I think he would be suited to the English league. Look at Ancelotti at Chelsea, for the past few seasons, his Milan team were a shadow of their former selves compared to their neighbours Inter yet he has come over here and been an instant success.

Agreed. He has a decent record, speaks English, understands English football, and WANTS the job. We can't afford to fiddle-**** around too much longer. I'd be content with Koeman.