Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is getting ridiculous. Yesterday it was Hitzfeld now it's Phil Brown. Who will the rumours be about tomorrow evening?

Timmy Mallet

then

Lorraine Kelly

then

Ant but we can't afford Dec

Koeman is keen

RONALD Koeman has told Aston Villa he is the man to restore Champions League glory to the 1982 European Cup winners.

Martin O’Neill quit Villa Park on August 9 in a row over lack of investment and under the stewardship of Kevin MacDonald they have been thrashed 6-0 by Newcastle and crashed out of the Europa League to Rapid Vienna this week.

MacDonald is due to meet owner Randy Lerner on Monday to decide his future, but Koeman has been sounded out by Villa officials and last night he revealed his interest in the post.

Koeman said: “In Holland we have always viewed Villa as an important club with a tradition of being powerful in Europe when I was younger, so I would be very interested in managing them if the job was offered to me. Even though the last two results have been painful blows, I also saw them take West Ham apart 3-0 and I enjoyed the playing style.

“One of the things I’d bring to Villa if I was in charge is the idea that winning is important in football, but winning while playing offensive football is the best of all. I love English football because of its brilliant atmosphere, intensity of the competition and the culture of respect that fans and players have for the game.

“I have been holding off and turning down offers simply because I want to coach in England and where better than Villa Park?” Koeman, 47, inspired both Barcelona and PSV Eindhoven to victory in the competition as a player and can point to knocking both Liverpool and Arsenal out of the Champions League as coach of Benfica and PSV in recent seasons as highlights of his highly successful coaching CV.

He now wants to take all he has learned in Holland, Portugal and Spain, where the teams he has managed have won eight trophies, and apply it to fulfilling Villa’s evident potential. He believes he could help Villa emulate Spurs’ achievement of breaking into the European elite.

“Villa have the perfect blend of talented young English players and experienced continental footballer, so I see no reason why they could not qualify for Champions League football next season,” he said. “I’ve coached in Holland, Portugal and Spain and not only won trophies each time, but taken sides to the latter stages of the Champions League.

“I’d like to match that with Villa if the job becomes available.”

On the one hand, his record is average in recent times.

On the other hand, he says some decent things about us there.

Dunno. I suppose we should be grateful that anyone is saying positive things about Villa after this last week :P

In fact, Curbishley is regularly successful.

Charlton, we all know what a fantastic job he did there with no cash. He got the club to 7th in the Premiership at one point, similar job to what McCleish has done at Blues really.

West Ham, saved them from relegation, won 7 out of last 9 games in 06-07 season when they looked definate to go down. Second season, finished 10th., long term injuries to Parker, Bellamy in that season obviously didn't help!

then 08-09, won first two games but then resigned because 2 players were sold behind his back.

The guy's record is very good.

I don't think Curbishley is cut out for it, he's too meh.

You need to have balls a plenty and self belief and as strict as a sleep deprived nun and I don't think Curbishley is that man. He's a mid-table man, nothing more.

Sure, he'll keep us in the league and might even have a good cup run. But in all honesty we are bigger than that and should aim higher.

I'd take a chance on Koeman rather than Curbishley, if it **** up then at least we gave it a shot instead of being boring, predictable and bland.

This is getting ridiculous. Yesterday it was Hitzfeld now it's Phil Brown. Who will the rumours be about tomorrow evening?

Pele

The truth will be known very soon. Even Kev Mac on the OS gave the next week or so as the window.

I'd give Koeman a chance, we're going to finish mid-table so we may aswell take a bit of a risk instead of settling for some steady eddy bluenose cu*t like Curbishley.
Yeh bring in Koeman and support him with a DOF - someone like GTmkIII might be an idea. Do I not like that.

They say you can change your wife, you can change your job, you can change your house, but no matter what you can not change your football club. I used to believe this fully. However, I can quite confidently say if Phil Orange becomes the Villa manager I will not go to a game whilst he is in charge and instead start supporting Crystal Palace.

No **** way is that twonk getting anywhere near a club of our pedigree.

You need to have balls a plenty and self belief and as strict as a sleep deprived nun and I don't think Curbishley is that man. He's a mid-table man, nothing more.

What do you know about sleep deprived nuns? I know plenty. I thought I was the only one. They don't like when you use Mayonnaise around them.

I wrote something less eloquent earlier re the new manager, but didn't post it. Cheers. This

I think we need a manager who passes the 3-4 year cycle, with the likes of Curbishley, I really can't see him doing that. Also to Bob Bradley, when you declare interest, just look at Koeman, says some great stuff and is even respectful to KMac if the job becomes available he'd be interested, this season is transition for us so it may be a rocky ride!