Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

I don't care if someone is experienced all not.

I want a manager who makes the players play for the shirt.

I want a manager who leads a happy camp.

I want a manager who helps develop the great youth system we have.

I want a manager who isn't afraid to take risks at home, and produce crowd pleasing football, which basically means passing on the floor.

I want a manager who shares the ambitions of the club.

I want a manager who wants to manage the club and isn't in it for the money.

I want a manager who has several tactical ideas.

Yes the manager has to be tactically astute, and has an eye for a player too. Does Kev have the qualities? I don't know. However with managers totuted around as Sven I'm really not sure. I know for a fact if he came it'd be all about the money. Meanwhile with names such as Bilic, Klinsmann, Bradley etc... Kevin is just as experienced as these guys, albeit at different levels. Of course if someone such as Martin Jol wanted the job, and fitted the model of our club I'd be more then happy for him to come.

In the meantime, Kevin deserves a chance and I hope he gets a few games to prove himself. After all we are in no rush right now, if he impresses there is no reason why we shouldn't give him the job for a season and see how he does. Throughout Europe right now there are countless inexperienced managers who are given a chance, some succeed and some fail. My point is I'd much rather someone closer to home get a chance then some of the names touted about. It is a big problem right now in England that very little managers are given a chance, clubs tend to go for the more experienced option every time which is the reason why as a country we struggle to name a top class manager in our possession.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to put a damper on KM but he has been with us for 15 years and while no one wants to deny the guy a bit of glory by being the top man....but,it could consume him.

I would imagine it is fairly easy in managing a team that is generally winning.... you become everyones friend.The tricky bit is having the experience and nous to manage throught the dark bits and have a coherent plan as to how you are going to turn it around without having Bill Gates as your best friend.You also need to be logical in your approach to correcting things something that will endear you to the fans, much in the same way Moyes has kept the fans on side through his darkest moments, because he is logical as opposed to quirky.

we need a manager who can deal with the tough bits and at the same time avoid bouts of depression doing it.

Depression or losing your calm manifests poor decision making.

I don't think we are likely to be involved in our new manager managing massive ego's as i don't envisage us being linked with those type of players on the whole.

Someone like sven might be a good shout, especially if he took KM as his assistant and helped to groome him.He has the global experience for player recruitment and has that calm exterior that i think is essential in modern day top flight football.He is battle hardened.

Villa has been called a poison chalice in some quarters, i disagree, but i understand the slant.I would say the club is a great opportunity for someone of the right pedigree.

The expectation at Villa has never been too high, if anything its the opposite, we need to strive a bit more and that doesn't always mean money.

Harry redknapp said when asked about his chances of the title " I have to believe we can" of course he does.

many clubs with less resource than us are having a go, so, so should we.

One thing I noticed today was Petrov's goal. Ive never seen him make a run into the bo like that in the 4yrs Mon was in charge!

No, because him and players like him had it drummed in to them to stay back.

we don't always know what instruction these players are given and moreover we are not always told....perhaps some managers think we don't matter.

Kevin MacDonald, Bob Bradley and Sven Goran Eriksson all 9/4 joint favourites to be next Villa manager with SkyBet.

http://www.skybet.com/betting/football/manager-specials/t10002896.html

Top 6

Macdonald K 9/4

Bradley B 9/4

Eriksson S 9/4

Jol M 10/1

McLeish A 12/1

Koeman, R. 12/1

I don't know who it will be, but I'm certain it won't be any of those three.

Like the sound of this :-)

from dailymail.co.uk

Martin Jol emerges as a top Aston Villa target to replace Martin O'Neill

By Joe Bernstein

Last updated at 10:15 PM on 14th August 2010

Comments (0) Add to My Stories Aston Villa will check on Martin Jol’s position at Ajax before making any decision on who should succeed Martin O’Neill.

Villa believe Jol has the right blend of international and Premier League know-how to fill the vacancy and want to check if he would be interested, despite his turning down Fulham to stay in Amsterdam earlier this month.

Jol’s future should become clearer in the next fortnight after Ajax play their final Champions League qualifying tie against Dynamo Kiev.

Wanted: Martin Jol is being targeted by Villa

Jol, sacked by Spurs in 2007 despite finishing fifth in the Premier League, has been successful in his native Holland.

But he nearly walked out on Ajax to join Fulham after Marko Pantelic and Dennis Rommedahl were sold without any replacements lined up.

In the end, Jol decided to stay because of the carrot of Champions League football, but Villa would tempt him should Ajax not qualify.

USA coach Bob Bradley wants to manage in the Premier League but Villa owner Randy Lerner is concerned about handing the job to a man who lacks experience in Europe.

Sven Goran Eriksson has also made it clear he would be interested, but current caretaker-boss Kevin MacDonald has not been discounted either.

Fine start: MacDonald (right) won his first game at the Villa helm

MacDonald, a former Liverpool Double winner who has been at Villa for more than a decade, is popular with the players and could land the job if he adds to yesterday’s

successful start.

MacDonald, who hailed James Milner a hero even though the England midfielder has probably played his last game for the club, is still undecided over whether he should

now try to stake a serious claim for the post.

He said: ‘It is too soon to say because I am still on a high from the victory. Maybe I should retire now! All I can say is that Randy Lerner, and the chief executive, Paul Faulkner, came to see me afterwards and they were clearly delighted.’

Hughes would be my number one choice. The added bonus being that he has managed Big Brad, Warnock, Dunne and Ireland before which would be helpful. His tactics and style are also well matched to our players.

The perfect candidate just very bad timing that he just took the Fulham role.

I still want Mark Hughes.

Me too. I would give Macdonald the job until January in the hope Hughes becomes available. Also even though it doesn't seem to be a popular opinion I wouldn't be against Slaven Bilic either but it would be great to get Hughes as he would take it to heart to try and upset Man City.

VILLA APPROACH JOL FOR JOB

By Aidan Magee, 14/08/2010

MARTIN JOL has been approached by Aston Villa to take over from Martin O'Neill.

The Ajax boss is seen by owner Randy Lerner as the man to lift the gloom in the dressing room and maintain the club's status as a top six side.

Villa have been told that Jol would be interested in returning to the Premier League if they meet Ajax's multi-million pound compensation demand.

It is believed that he could be in place at Villa by as early as this week if personal terms, which include a salary of around £2million-a-year, can be agreed.

O'Neill walked out of Villa Park in midweek after four years in charge.

USA coach Bob Bradley was seen as a serious candidate, while Sam Allardyce, Alan Curbishley and Gareth Southgate have been linked with the job. Reserve team boss Kevin MacDonald took charge of Saturday's opening day clash with West Ham.

Former Tottenham manager Jol nearly succeeded Roy Hodgson at Fulham last month but was shocked at only being offered a salary of around £1million-a-year.

Jol, 54, twice guided Tottenham to fifth place, their highest finish in the Premier League before being sacked by Daniel Levy after a poor start to the 2007/8 season.

The Dutchman has enjoyed success in Germany with Hamburg, taking them to fifth and a UEFA Cup semi-final.

He also finished runners-up last season with Ajax behind Steve McClaren's FC Twente.

Jol is no stranger to the West Midlands having spent two years with West Brom and then a season with Coventry City as a player during the early 1980s.

click

One thing I noticed today was Petrov's goal. Ive never seen him make a run into the bo like that in the 4yrs Mon was in charge!

No, because him and players like him had it drummed in to them to stay back.

we don't always know what instruction these players are given and moreover we are not always told....perhaps some managers think we don't matter.

Today it really looked like the lads had been unleashed! Great to watch I must say!

if mark hughes signs for villa then i'll be another step closer to giving up

i know contracts mean **** all but two weeks in to a 2 year deal and he's willing to quit for more money? would be piss poor IMO and not something id want villa associated with