Barry Bannan

villianusa

Bannan was ok today. Did his job about as well as he is capable of. We fell apart after he went off so not sure why fans are having a go at him.

easy target

It has been a while since I've seen a player boo'ed at Villa Park and I'm not advocating it happening at all because it is counter productive but I think it is in danger of happening with Bannan before the end of the season.

not that long, wasnt Warnock booed last season

The same people who criticise Bannan are the ones who criticised Petrov and Barry. Too much FIFA and youtube highlights methinks. You need players that offer an option and can keep the ball moving - as soon as Bannan went off, players like Lowton, Delph, N'Zogbia and the defence had nobody offering them a short pass option and our play suffered as a result. It's blindingly **** obvious that he's a very important player for us - look at the difference when he came on against Southampton; we totally transformed as a team and battered them in the 2nd half.

His corners yesterday were poor, definitely, no disputing that but it's not the be all and end all of his game.

Having somebody who loses the ball constantly, is out muscled, out jumped, out paced,slow to release the ball, plays l

Passes that fail, cannot cross, take corners or defend isn't anything like a Barry orPetrov.

When did Bannan last burst into the box, get a shot on target, close somebody down, play simple quick passes, take a series of decent corners, not get beaten off the ball by a gust of wind...

Seriously....

• Like 2

Having somebody who loses the ball constantly, is out muscled, out jumped, out paced,slow to release the ball, plays l

Passes that fail, cannot cross, take corners or defend isn't anything like a Barry orPetrov.

He crosses better than Barry and his passing accuracy is better than Milner this season. Bannan provided the structure for our attack in the first half.

http://www.villatalk.com/index.php/topic/8237-player-and-team-statistics-and-analysis/

fkpgro.png

When did Bannan last burst into the box, get a shot on target,

He's played deep lying playmaker. That role doesn't do that.

close somebody down, play simple quick passes, take a series of decent corners, not get beaten off the ball by a gust of wind...

Seriously....

I can't take these criticisms seriously. You are picking on one of our better players to vent your anger.

When did Bannan last burst into the box, get a shot on target, close somebody down, play simple quick passes, take a series of decent corners, not get beaten off the ball by a gust of wind...

Seriously....

Agreed - one of the worst midfielders to ever wear an Aston Villa shirt.

It has been a while since I've seen a player boo'ed at Villa Park and I'm not advocating it happening at all because it is counter productive but I think it is in danger of happening with Bannan before the end of the season.

Ireland got booed a few weeks ago (think it was against Wigan)

He's shit... to be in his position he has to constantly play good balls. He doesn't do that. He should have better set pieces, they are terrible and have been consistently terrible this season and last when he took them.

He's shit... to be in his position he has to constantly play good balls. He doesn't do that. He should have better set pieces, they are terrible and have been consistently terrible this season and last when he took them.

The raw stats for passing %, cross % and long ball % say he is performing better than:

Whelan (Stoke)

Adam (Stoke)

Cabaye (Newcastle)

Guitierrez (Newcastle)

Tabb (Reading)

Guthrie (Reading)

Noble (West Ham)

Milner (Man City)

Dorrans (WBA)

Johnson (Norwich)

Cork (Southampton)

Statistics are objective. It's impossible not to give him credit for this.

He is a very frustrating player with some of his passing and set pieces. However, I do feel he provides the platform to our attacking play which seems hard to believe.

When we say 'he' we are referring not just to Bannan but to a midfielder.

I don't care if it is Bannan, Westwood, Delph, El Ahmadi and yes maybe even Ireland. Okay not Ireland.

The platform of our attacks should be our midfield, NOT Lowton or Bennett going on a fancy surge down a closed alley, or the right boot of Clark, Baker or Vlaar, hitting a long diagonal from the middle circle.

Edited by Con

The raw stats for passing %, cross % and long ball % say he is performing better than:

Whelan (Stoke)

Adam (Stoke)

Cabaye (Newcastle)

Guitierrez (Newcastle)

Tabb (Reading)

Guthrie (Reading)

Noble (West Ham)

Milner (Man City)

Dorrans (WBA)

Johnson (Norwich)

Cork (Southampton)

Statistics are objective. It's impossible not to give him credit for this.

You need stats showing giveaways, lost air-balls and lost 1-on-1 and you will see how poor our midfield really is, esp. Bannan.

These stats you are reffering to are all attacking stats only, but it is related only to compare attacks, not defences and as we all know, we are very fragile in defensive part of play. Bannan and Delph are constantly out muscled in the midfield loosing key balls.

Edited by Majkee

You need stats showing giveaways,

The percentage accuracy statistic contains the information for giveaways.

lost air-balls and lost 1-on-1 and you will see how poor our midfield really is, esp. Bannan.

CMs rarely go 1-on-1.

Air-balls are less important in the midfield.

These stats are attacking only, but it is related only to compare attacks, not defences and as we all know, we are very fragile in defensive part of play. Bannan and Delph are constantly out muscled in the midfield loosing key balls.

Bannan is not a defensive midfielder. His best position is as a deep lying playmaker.

We all know we need a defensive midfielder in the team. You can't blame Bannan for not being one.

re crossing stats - there is a very very big difference between a successful inswinging fast driving cross (technique A) and successful slow underkicked cross performed by Bannan ( B ). I can not rightly describe it in English but the difference between these two techniques of crossing the ball is huge as it is almost impossible to score from ( B ) crosses. Compare Bennet's cross to Beneteke's goal (A) with Bannan crossing technique ( B ) which is almost 90% waste. The Bannan's crossing technique should be used only to kick the ball FORWARD, not to cross the ball, because the ball has a back spin for avoiding to bounce far away, but it is very har to score from it if it is used as a crossing technique. That knows everybody who played football.

Edited by Majkee

So bascially Con the role you see Bannan playing, is sitting in the centre circle, not really tackling, not winning any headers, not scoring any goals, not creating any assists.

You want someone else in there to do his defensive work, I presume someone else in there to get forward and score goals and create from midfield. So that is two players required in order to make up for the thing's that by your own admission Bannan lacks.

The problem is that Bannan isn't good enough to build a team around, he isn't good enough to warrant having players in the side to make up for his short falls. He isn't good enough at the things he is supposed to be good at to justify that kind of importance or his continued place in the team.

Please do not reply to this with stats, I'm not interested in any of the stats you've posted to date or any stats that you could post in the future. They are meaningless to me especially when you use them to try and claim Bannan's a potentially world class player, the best crosser of a ball in the PL and that his crossing is a world class weapon.

I watch football with my eyes, not on an excel spread sheet and nothing I've seen of Bannan in his approaching 80 appearances suggest to me he is any good.

The percentage accuracy statistic contains the information for giveaways.

CMs rarely go 1-on-1.

Air-balls are less important in the midfield.

Bannan is not a defensive midfielder. His best position is as a deep lying playmaker.

We all know we need a defensive midfielder in the team. You can't blame Bannan for not being one.

I am sorry but you have misunderstood me. Giveaway is imho to have a ball on my feet and loosing it under pressure of opponent, 1-on-1 is almost a must for midfield to create more time for successful pass (just focus yourself on midfield play in every match you can see a lot of 1-on-1 in the midfield - this is the case why we lost 2nd half against WBA, just re-watch the match and count successful 1-on-1 against our midfielders) and air-balls are very interesting after throwing the ball in the middle of the park constantly loosing the ball if it is directed to one of our midfielders.

re crossing stats - there is a very very big difference between a successful inswinging fast driving cross (technique A) and successful slow underkicked cross performed by Bannan ( B). I can not rightly describe it in English but the difference between these two techniques of crossing the ball is huge as it is almost impossible to score from ( B) crosses. Compare Bennet's cross to Beneteke's goal (A) with Bannan crossing technique ( B) which is almost 90% waste. The Bannan's crossing technique should be used only to kick the ball FORWARD, not to cross the ball, because the ball has a back spin for avoiding to bounce far away, but it is very har to score from it if it is used as a crossing technique. That knows everybody who played football.

99% time the manager tells the player how to take the corners. They are worked at on the training ground. Everyone who's played football knows that.

If Bannan is taking them the wrong way, the manager should intervene and tell him to take it a different way. I don't believe Bannan is simply defying instructions.

We know Bannan is capable of the whipped in, fizzing cross. He did a few in the first leg against Bradford.

You need stats showing giveaways, lost air-balls and lost 1-on-1 and you will see how poor our midfield really is, esp. Bannan.

These stats you are reffering to are all attacking stats only, but it is related only to compare attacks, not defences and as we all know, we are very fragile in defensive part of play. Bannan and Delph are constantly out muscled in the midfield loosing key balls.

Exactly, he is picking and choosing the data to support his argument; pass%, cross% and long ball% are not the only 3 criteria for a midfielder by a long shot. The fact is, by those criteria, he is 'better' than Milner. Now who on earth would you rather have in the centre of midfield, Bannan or Milner? No contest.