Barry Bannan

villianusa

imnWeNEBQJAGP.gif

Both Bannan and Albrighton have been failed by the club. This is a world class goal. What did MON, Houllier and McLeish do to them?

It is not really. It is a world-class fail from the defender who lets the winger take the ball down and score. If he has done his job, if a better left-back was there, he would have headed that ball out of danger without it looking like a stand-out pass. It was a good pass, by all means since it hits our player from that distance, but with defending like that everything can happen. If a player like Evra or Clichy was there we would bave been annoyed he attempted such a pass. I was actually at that game at Craven Cottage, when Brede Hangeland headed home in the 93rd minute to equalize. I have never seen Villa win, and I have seen us close to 10 times I think. Bummer.

What? You mentioned the loss against Liverpool (which Bannan started) then quoted stats AFTER the back-to-back wins to show that it isn't our best XI. After Bannan was dropped our record was W2 D2 L1 with the one loss being against Chelsea.

Points per game and points per player are false stats. The fact that you have to use that as a argument for why a player should be in the side shows you can't actually comment on what makes him a decent player.

what-a-dunk.gif

Click the below link to understand your epic fail

http://www.squawka.com/teams/aston-villa/stats

(Helpfully, I've highlighted the section that contains one of your errors).

I don't expect this to change your opinion I "can't actually comment" even though I do get my stats right and you don't! 

Edit: I got my stats wrong. So did Stefan too. Our record after Liverpoo: W 3 D 2 L 2. Still not convincing. 

Edited by Con

I still don't understand how this 'win percenage' figure is being banded about. We found our best XI in the latter months of the season and we got the points that kept us up. That XI did not contain Bannan.

After the back-to-back wins our record was: W 2, D 2, L 2

It was W3 D2 L3. So you can acknowledge we both got our stats wrong ;) . I'm not the one trying to prove anything either. It says a lot that the only thing you focussed on in my post was the stat element. Nothing on how I think Bannan is an average player, who probably isn't good enough for us ( a la Hogg, who's had a very good career since)

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

I still don't understand how this 'win percenage' figure is being banded about. We found our best XI in the latter months of the season and we got the points that kept us up. That XI did not contain Bannan.

It was W3 D2 L3. So you can acknowledge we both got our stats wrong ;) . I'm not the one trying to prove anything either. It says a lot that the only thing you focussed on in my post was the stat element. Nothing on how I think Bannan is an average player, who probably isn't good enough for us ( a la Hogg, who's had a very good career since)

you're being harsh on yourself by double failing. W 3 D 2 L 2.

yes I can get my stats wrong sometimes. 

I don't think I'm wrong about Bannan's potential. He will do a Cahill.

Chelsea will not sign Bannan for 20m...

:o

This anti-Bannan ranting is getting a bit on my nerves.A young lad, who has come through the ranks,has cost us nothing, and is probably not quite up to the level that PL wants, played ok this season, nice pass, not physical or quick enough at this level.Not the best of the bunch, and not the worst.

Good luck to him, maybe offer him to Bpool in exchange for Ince.

There is no anti-Bannan sentiment, we are just debating the false facts and made up information from our very own Con man.

This does not mean we hate Bannan.

JUST as this did not mean we hated McLeish for his previous job. We hated his crap football.

This anti-Bannan ranting is getting a bit on my nerves.A young lad, who has come through the ranks,has cost us nothing, and is probably not quite up to the level that PL wants, played ok this season, nice pass, not physical or quick enough at this level.Not the best of the bunch, and not the worst.

There is no anti-Bannan sentiment, we are just debating the false facts and made up information from our very own Con man.

To be fair I think it's harsh to say the facts themselves are made up.

I think Con's problem has been that he hasn't placed the raw data he has into context. Example - Bannan's slightly higher win rate could be due to a lot of other factors, like the opposition on the day as well as Villa's lineup on that day. On top of that, he's made some very outrageous claims, although he seems to have toned down of late, credit where it's due.

To be fair I think it's harsh to say the facts themselves are made up.

I think Con's problem has been that he hasn't placed the raw data he has into context. Example - Bannan's slightly higher win rate could be due to a lot of other factors, like the opposition on the day as well as Villa's lineup on that day. On top of that, he's made some very outrageous claims, although he seems to have toned down of late, credit where it's due.

Very true, but there are a lot of false statements made based on the stats he has taken (and where he takes them from, depends on what he wants to find, so there is no solid base for his arguments) 

He stop the stats when he was proved wrong, but do not forget.

Bannan is leaving because he was bullied on the internet.

Us not liking Bannan's football, will get us relegated.

And other ridiculous statements.

Edited by dodgyknees

What? No I didn't. SINCE THE BACK TO BACK WINS, we have won 3 (Stoke, Norwich, Sunderland), drawn 2 (Fulham, Wigan) lost 3 (Liverpool, Man U, Chelsea).

That was your initial comment (as shown by the bolded)

I can't remember what I said, but I meant to start the count after Bannan's last game against Liverpool. We had 2 lost and 2 drawn games in the final 7 games. Wow, what a first XI. Impressive, because it was under pressure but still only 8 points in 7.

That's not even the best run we had this season. We had 9 points in 7 from Man Utd (home) to Liverpool away: W 2 D 3 L 2. Believe it not, Bannan started those matches.

Ironically our very best period was 12 pt in 7 from Reading (away) to Sunderland (home): W 4 D1 L 2. Ironic because Bannan started 2 of these wins.

The reality is (my eyes) Westwood is a better midfield player. You also add in Delph's improvement and Sylla being a pleasant surprise and those three are justifiably ahead of him in the pecking order and that's before Lambert signs someone else as we need a more attack minded central midfielder in there. KEA might get another year but I think Bannan and Holman will leave.

What summed him up this season was probably a MOTM display at home to Arsenal and then 72 hours later he was garbage at home to Reading. That and I don't like his floated corners and Hollywood balls.

Hogg didn't do much today against a virtually non existent palace midfield. Bannan is much better than Hogg for sure.

Making a judgement based on 1 game shocker. Brilliant.

Hogg won POTS last year for them (I think!) [EDIT: He came 4th THIS YEAR] and has been a stalwart in their midfield. Definitely improved and fair play to him.

Edited by StefanAVFC