Barry Bannan

villianusa

Bannan has at least as much talent as Westwood. That shows at least on set pieces where he can take his time and use his high level of technical skill.

Which set pieces have shown this?

Bannan has at least as much talent as Westwood. That shows at least on set pieces where he can take his time and use his high level of technical skill.

Which set pieces have shown this?

Why, all of the ones that we've scored from of course. Oh no, that's none, the team must be shit at winning balls in the air. Oh no, Benteke is the best in **** Europe at that, the team must be too used to scoring from Westwood's type 3 hoofs and they've forgotten to score off Barry 'Beckham Pernambucano' Bannan's orgasmic crosses.

That made me genuinely LOL in the office

One of the main perks of us staying up is that we will be getting rid of Bannan

I think if we went down we would be stuck with him which would be worse than relegation itself

I think if we went down we would be stuck with him which would be worse than relegation itself

Are you sure we'll get rid of him?

Are you sure we'll get rid of him?

I cannot be 100% sure but he doesn't have long left on his contract with no murmurs of it being renewed

Its clear that the manager does not rate him he's behind El Ahmadi in the pecking order now and if were to improve as a team we need to start shipping out the dross and bringing in quality

I'd rather us take a punt on another league 2 player such as Luke Murphy than continue with Bannan he's had his chance been at the club for what 5 years and been eclipsed by Westwood who has been here a matter of months

He needs to drop down a division where he belongs or go up to the SPL and play for someone like Kilmarnock

remember that Bannan was chosen ahead of El Ahmadi at the start of the season. 

Lambert knew nothing about Bannan before he arrived but, after a few weeks, chose to start a player from our academy over an experienced multi-million pound signing.

Bannan lost his place when he got a hip injury early this year. Lambert is on record saying Delph retained his place due to his "form".

When Delph was suspended, Bannan came in and helped us win those essential back-to-back games against Reading and QPR which kick-started our run of good form.

Bannan then lost his place to Delph again, after he didn't show enough against Liverpool.

Given Bannan's role in the squad this year, and that when he has come in the team has been successful, do I believe Lambert is going to give Bannan away for virtually nothing to a Championship or Premier League side?

Just to "get rid" as some of you strange VT'ers fantasise?

I highly doubt it. Or, "no" he won't do that.

Don't know what role Bannan will have, whether he'll get a 1-year-contract extension, but it would only take a couple of injuries and suspensions before he figures again, and Lambert has shown this year he trusts him enough to start against the best teams.

I agree with Con on one thing, Bannan has raw talent. Enough of it. I also don't agree that his set piece delivery is near as poor as many make out. He's OK. Nothing special, but OK. 

He just doesn't give enough of a **** about anyone but Barry Bannan. He's uncoachable in my opinion and I'm getting the impression Lambert has had enough of trying, we shall see. 

It's a mystery Con hasn't picked up on Bannan's long-passing ability. With enough time and space, he has the ability to spot and execute beautiful long passes to the forwards to get them in dangerous one-on-one situations. Remember his 40 yard cross-field diagonal for Marc Albrighton's goal against Fulham? And I remember under Houllier in the game against Man U where we went 2-0 up and drew 2-2, he played some cracking long passes then. 

But that was because the opposition hadn't sussed him out yet, and hadn't realised how easy it was to throw him off his game. Just increase the pace of the game, harry him a little and viola, no time, no space to make his pass. 

Westwood I think has the ability to make those same passes, but he doesn't need the luxury of time and space. 

Bannan needs, and I think he's just a good player playing in a league not suited to his sensibilities. I'd think he'd do well in Italy or Spain.

For me he isn't quick enough to make up for his stature, so where he is lacking most is the way opposition players pass him so easily. I know he's not meant to be a defensive player but these things make a difference to the team. He can't get past a player offensively too, and I'm pretty sure all the good shorter players have that ability. I do think he will go in the summer—I'd hope we'd strengthen in midfield and he does seem to be way down the list...Westwood, Delph, Sylla, KEA, Bannan. He's the obvious one to go out of that lot. 

It's a mystery Con hasn't picked up on Bannan's long-passing ability. With enough time and space, he has the ability to spot and execute beautiful long passes to the forwards to get them in dangerous one-on-one situations. Remember his 40 yard cross-field diagonal for Marc Albrighton's goal against Fulham? And I remember under Houllier in the game against Man U where we went 2-0 up and drew 2-2, he played some cracking long passes then. 

But that was because the opposition hadn't sussed him out yet, and hadn't realised how easy it was to throw him off his game. Just increase the pace of the game, harry him a little and viola, no time, no space to make his pass. 

Westwood I think has the ability to make those same passes, but he doesn't need the luxury of time and space. 

Bannan needs, and I think he's just a good player playing in a league not suited to his sensibilities. I'd think he'd do well in Italy or Spain.

I agree. A Spanish team might come in for him. Not sure he'll go. I don't think we are over-stocked with midfielders.

I'd add Gardner to our list of midfielders.

Westwood CM

Bannan - CM/LM

KEA - CM

Delph - DM

Sylla - DM

Gardner - CM/AM

+ 1 - CM/AM to provide competition with Gardner