Barry Bannan

villianusa

254 pages , how

Because Bannan is public enemy number one.. There have been numerous players put in shocking performances this season and their threads get a few comments on. Bannan puts in a bad performance and hundreds of comments are made.

I'm not saying he is a good player and that he doesn't deserve some criticism, but some comments are just way over the top out him

Perhaps its just because he's been consistently bad for a long time now and thankfully the manager thinks the same. That dreadful spell he had through December-January-February where he couldnt do even the simple things right forged the whipping boy image he now has. He's had no role in our upturn in fortunes and this speaks volumes; the team looks far better without him in the team. Now we've found what looks like our best team I reckon he'll be gone in the summer and we'll be lucky to get more than £2m for him, probably from a Championship club. That's his level I'm afraid; I wouldnt be surprised if he ends up drifting further down the leagues.

Its so disappointing from a player I followed from the youth team upwards. I remember him bossing reserve games in MON's time when we had those lovely evenings out at the Bescot. He looked like a real handful then but he just hasnt been anywhere near consistent enough to warrant a place at this level. He needs to seriously bulk up and get his head right if he wants a future here, but I think his time is up.

This is nonsense. He was a whipping boy at the start of the season. Just review the thread!

Also, no role in our upturn in fortunes? He started QPR and Reading and won both matches.

Why are you making stuff up. You have a narrative - "Bannan = bad" and you are inventing facts to fit it.

Bannan has been a huge disappointment, but I'd like to see him given a last chance, if only because on his good days he appears to be a very decent player. I think this is more about getting his head in the right place, and a summer break might help that happen. There's no point selling players when they've hit rock bottom unless they're on crazy wages, which I don't think he is? Might as well give him a final shot at it.

No, don't know which match it was. That's not recorded. If you ask me, he's played well in lots of matches so I don't know which one to suggest.

The drink-driving was stupid but if we were to choose our first XI based on driving history we would have nobody on the pitch. If we choose our fans based on driving history the stands would be half-empty.

Footballers as a group always seem to be either crashing, speeding or drink driving. The important thing is they learn from their mistakes and don't do it again. That applies to us all.

That said, I have no points on my driving licence and if you believe this makes my views carry more weight, go ahead and think that.

It was the 1-1 draw with Newcastle back in September last year.

254 pages , how

Because Bannan is public enemy number one.. There have been numerous players put in shocking performances this season and their threads get a few comments on. Bannan puts in a bad performance and hundreds of comments are made.

I'm not saying he is a good player and that he doesn't deserve some criticism, but some comments are just way over the top out him

Perhaps its just because he's been consistently bad for a long time now and thankfully the manager thinks the same. That dreadful spell he had through December-January-February where he couldnt do even the simple things right forged the whipping boy image he now has. He's had no role in our upturn in fortunes and this speaks volumes; the team looks far better without him in the team. Now we've found what looks like our best team I reckon he'll be gone in the summer and we'll be lucky to get more than £2m for him, probably from a Championship club. That's his level I'm afraid; I wouldnt be surprised if he ends up drifting further down the leagues.

Its so disappointing from a player I followed from the youth team upwards. I remember him bossing reserve games in MON's time when we had those lovely evenings out at the Bescot. He looked like a real handful then but he just hasnt been anywhere near consistent enough to warrant a place at this level. He needs to seriously bulk up and get his head right if he wants a future here, but I think his time is up.

This is nonsense. He was a whipping boy at the start of the season. Just review the thread!

Also, no role in our upturn in fortunes? He started QPR and Reading and won both matches.

Why are you making stuff up. You have a narrative - "Bannan = bad" and you are inventing facts to fit it.

Good against 2 Championship sides = Championship player.

254 pages , how

I don't think you of all people should be lecturing anyone on having a narrative my friend.

Edited by R.I.C.O.

If beating Reading and QPR makes Bannan a Championship player * does beating Liverpool, drawing with Arsenal, make him a Premiership player again? Guess it depends what your fixed narrative is.

*that doesn't even make sense. Beating Championship players makes him no worse than a Championship player, more logically a better than Championship player.

If beating Reading and QPR makes Bannan a Championship player * does beating Liverpool, drawing with Arsenal, make him a Premiership player again? Guess it depends what your fixed narrative is.

*that doesn't even make sense. Beating Championship players makes him no worse than a Championship player, more logically a better than Championship player.

Firstly, you said he was good in these games. I'd argue and say he was very distinctly average. He did nothing good and he did nothing bad (if you exclude the confusion he created for QPR's first goal). He passed the ball 10 yards sideways in both games every time he had the ball. These were his best performances of the season... just because he featured in the games where we won at Anfield and drew with Arsenal doesn't mean he was amazing and played out of his skin. And before you argue he was involved in our goal of the season (which you have done about 100 times in the last 50 posts), his involvement was once again passing the ball 10 yards to a free player. Nothing special about that even though it was a special goal.

If his best performances of the season are very average and they came against Championship level teams and his other performances are below average and they came against Premiership level teams then this tells us that he is not Premier League level.

• Like 1

With Gardner coming back, it looks like Bannan's days are numbered.. Although they are different players, still think Gardner has great potential, and the goal scoring midfielder we have been missing this season.. 

Edited by AVFCforever1991

I agree about Gardner.

Bannan might request a transfer to get first XI football but we're not going to boot him out the door as if he has been a failure not a success in many respects.

He has been hugely valuable for us this season. Totally under-rated, totally unappreciated by a certain sections of Villa fans. On possibly the lowest wage in the squad, Bannan has contributed toward 25 out 37 points gained this season.

Our survival has largely rested on Bannan's shoulders.

That's not going to go unnoticed.

He's played a large part as to why we are in the shit as much as we are. That I will give him.

If what you were saying is true Bannan would have the lowest point per game average in the squad. Actually, he has the highest, or about joint highest now.

You were just saying I was deluded. You have just typed words that are the opposite to the only evidence that applies - the points per game average.

Edited by Con

I agree about Gardner.

Bannan might request a transfer to get first XI football but we're not going to boot him out the door as if he has been a failure not a success in many respects.

He has been hugely valuable for us this season. Totally under-rated, totally unappreciated by a certain sections of Villa fans. On possibly the lowest wage in the squad, Bannan has contributed toward 25 out 37 points gained this season.

As AstonMartin says if not all, certainly the penultimate line of this is deluded at best, go to bed Barry you might sneak into the squad tomorrow.

What about losing 8 - 0 at Chelski?????? Con- Please explain.............No Excuses!

I agree about Gardner.

As AstonMartin says if not all, certainly the penultimate line of this is deluded at best, go to bed Barry you might sneak into the squad tomorrow.

Heh doubtful  :lol:

Should not play again this season..

Edited by AVFCforever1991

He's played a large part as to why we are in the shit as much as we are. That I will give him.

If what you were saying is true Bannan would have the lowest point per game average in the squad. Actually, he has the highest, or about joint highest now.

You were just saying I was deluded. You have just typed words that are the opposite to the only evidence that applies - the points per game average.

Sorry mate, but if you think that average points per game has any sort of resemblance towards how important a SINGLE player is when there are so many variables into the outcome of a football match then you are deluded. Google "Premiership players points per average game" and you will soon come across how Sidwell has been the second most successful player in the Premiership. Not for Villa... for the WHOLE premiership. Using your logic, if we wanted to win the Premier League, win the FA Cup, win the League Cup and beat Barcelona in the Champions League Final then all we need to do is buy back Sidwell. If you believe Bannan is important to Villa you will also believe this. Do you believe this? Yes or no? Simple question, simple answer please.

Even if I was to entertain you for a minute about this stat and how it could possibly be meaningful, which it isn't by the way, the sheer FACT that the sample size is so small makes it null and void. Before Monday you were crowing about how he had the best points per game average. Today you are crowing about how he is almost top, or possibly joint, points per average. Tomorrow, after we beat Norwich, he will no longer be anywhere near the top of the average. This alone tells you how volatile the stat is. It is nonsense.

I have a recommendation for you. Go to a Villa match. Open your eyes and put a true honest assessment of everything Bannan does well against everything he does badly. This is the cure for deludedness.

Edited by AstonMartin82
  • Like 2

All I'm saying is, whatever your opinion is, it's impossible to argue against the fact that Bannan has been a net positive effect for the team this season.  You don't have to agree with me he is a great player but it is impossible for you to contradict that fact. Points accrued in the games he's played tell the story. Had he played all 35 games we would be on 43 points not 37 at an average of 1.22 points per game.

All I'm saying is, whatever your opinion is, it's impossible to argue against the fact that Bannan has been a net positive effect for the team this season.  You don't have to agree with me he is a great player but it is impossible for you to contradict that fact.

It's not a fact, it's an opinion. That's a fact.