Barry Bannan

villianusa

This is turning into the Barry Banan bashing forum. The guy is a Villa player and has done nothing to merrit such abuse. Even seen someone say he had a really bad attitude as he doesnt care when he makes a bad pass, like come on. He isnt even playing past load of games so i dont see why people have to keep on about him.

Yes if he has a bad game talk about it for the few days after and let it be at that.

I really really want him to be a great player. Honestly I really do. However, I am not buying into any of this statistical bullshit that contradicts what my own eyes tell me of his performances to date.

I have asked if Bannan has ever taken a corner kick that we have scored from?........Ever!

The response & silence is deafening.

Yes fair enough, but just let it go. He doesnt deserve to be bashed everytime a certain person puts up a load of stupid stats.

This is turning into the Barry Banan bashing forum. The guy is a Villa player and has done nothing to merrit such abuse. Even seen someone say he had a really bad attitude as he doesnt care when he makes a bad pass, like come on. He isnt even playing past load of games so i dont see why people have to keep on about him.

Yes if he has a bad game talk about it for the few days after and let it be at that.

I sort of know what you mean but there is someone claiming he's "the best crosser in the Premier League". Not claiming he isn't that bad, not claiming he's ok, not claiming that he's pretty good, but that he's the best in the entire league.

Better than Baines, Bale, RVP, Valencia, Larsson et al despite mustering one assist for a team with the best aerial dueller in Europe leading the line.

Edited by ArteSuave

Jesus christ

Talk about picking peanuts out of a turd

Whats next? Barry Bannan is only one of 6 Villa players who eat Wheatabix in the mornings?

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 1

Does Bannan still have the most points per game?  :blink:

Given the volatility of this stat, which reaffirms just how meaningless it really is, I very much doubt it.

Con, in all of your efforts to try to convince people to believe your stats over what their eyes are telling them, all you have done is polarise everyone's opinions of Bannan. Unfortunately, it would appear 90% have jumped into the "Bannan is awful" camp and to be honest it is incredibly easy to see why.

Jesus christ

Talk about picking peanuts out of a turd

Whats next? Barry Bannan is only one of 6 Villa players who eat Wheatabix in the mornings?

Can just imagine Yaya Toure shitting himself before having to face Bannan in midfield & turning to Gareth Barry & saying, "Bet they;ve had they;re weetabix!" :)

I've seen it all now. Assists are subjective whilst key passes are objective.

Further example that Con doesn't have a clue when it comes to statistics

Assists are not a statistic about an individual player. They are a statistic about two players: one player who made the pass, and one player who scored.

Key pass count is only about one player. The receiver doesn't have to score.

What about key passes when the receiver does not even shoot, e.g. miscontrols, or somehow misses the ball entirely, or the linesman wrongly flags for offside, and the ball rolls through to the keeper? I will agree key passes can be under-counted. However, this applies to all players equally. Part of the skill of the key pass is passing to the right guy who will shoot. The ones that are counted are only about one player.

if a key pass is good enough, it should be easy for the receiver of the ball to score. The key pass he made to albrighton against fulham was brilliant and gave albrighton an easy chance. Lowton's key pass against sunderland gave Weimann an easier than normal chance to score. most of bannans key passes are to people who aren't in front of goal or are in difficult situations, therefore, his ability to read a pass is good but his thought pattern to work out whether that player can effectively use the ball is very much lacking

can this thread be locked till everyone has had a chance to sit back and think more objectively about bannan in their own time, rather than be hit in the face with 100's of stats which tell everyone why he's such an incredibly gifted talent. think people would like him more on here if it wasn't for this thread in all honesty

I don't understand this thread at all. I don't understand why it's so popular. Bannan is an average squad player with a few strength's and a number of weaknesses. He's played well in some games and not so well in others. I'm ambivalent as to whether he stays or goes in the summer but I certainly won't be tearing my hair out in either scenario. It's like the old firm in here - there'll be segregated communities next (albeit that Con's community will be fairly small).

if a key pass is good enough, it should be easy for the receiver of the ball to score. The key pass he made to albrighton against fulham was brilliant and gave albrighton an easy chance. Lowton's key pass against sunderland gave Weimann an easier than normal chance to score. most of bannans key passes are to people who aren't in front of goal or are in difficult situations, therefore, his ability to read a pass is good but his thought pattern to work out whether that player can effectively use the ball is very much lacking

True there are easier chances and harder chances and the key pass can make any given chance easier or harder still.

Whether the goal is scored is always down to the skill of the shooter. Doesn't change the way the key pass is calculated. 

You say Bannan can pick a pass but does not work out whether the receiver can "effectively use the ball" before he provides them a scoring opportunity. 

That's another way of saying Bannan only provides goal scoring opportunities that are hard to score and no easy ones. 

That's impossible to prove either way. My position is his chances are as good as others and it's down to luck that the goals haven't gone in - e.g. defender clears off line, keeper makes great save etc.

I don't understand this thread at all. I don't understand why it's so popular. Bannan is an average squad player with a few strength's and a number of weaknesses. He's played well in some games and not so well in others. I'm ambivalent as to whether he stays or goes in the summer but I certainly won't be tearing my hair out in either scenario. It's like the old firm in here - there'll be segregated communities next (albeit that Con's community will be fairly small).

I totally disagree with Con 100% but I do admire & respect him for all his research. More importantly Con loves "The Villa" like we all do & that for me is the bottom line.

PS - Con, if I am invited to your community can I have weetabix for breakfast, minus the peanuts ofcourse! :)

• Like 1

has done nothing to merrit such abuse

Apart from getting very drunk, choosing to drive on the motorway, crashing his car and and then leaving the scene.

I'd rather give him abuse about that over any of his shit performances wearing a villa shirt.

Apart from getting very drunk, choosing to drive on the motorway, crashing his car and and then leaving the scene.

I'd rather give him abuse about that over any of his shit performances wearing a villa shirt.

Not the first time he's been cornered! ;)

Yes but everybody deserves a second chance. After-all most of us have done things were not proud of.

If you look at the cricketer Tom Maynard who was totally plastered but got killed by electrified trainline running from the police, I have never heard anybody say a bad word about him, yet it wasn't even the first time he had done it.

Edited by PaulC

Yes but everybody deserves a second chance. After-all most of us have done things were not proud of.

If you look at the cricketer Tom Maynard who was totally plastered but got killed by electrified trainline running from the police, I have never heard anybody say a bad word about him, yet it wasn't even the first time he had done it.

He's a word removed too. They're you go example defunct  :)

Any word on that man of the match yet Con?