Barry Bannan

villianusa

We've won six games with Bannan. 33% of the games he plays we win - that's about the highest in the squad. The stats aren't lying and I'm not convinced that we have a good reason to interpret good stats badly. When he plays we keep winning. That's the bottom line.

About the highest, or the highest?

We've won six games with Bannan. 33% of the games he plays we win - that's about the highest in the squad. The stats aren't lying and I'm not convinced that we have a good reason to interpret good stats badly. When he plays we keep winning. That's the bottom line.

'Keep' and 'winning' should not be used in the same sentence when referring to Villla this season. We have won 9 games out of 35! Law of averages suggest we will one game every now and then - with Bannan playing or not. It's only recently that we have started playing well and gaining some decent victories. Has Bannan played in our most recent wins?

No one has told me what's up with him yet! Haha.

Have him and Ireland just been completely left out?

Edited by Tayls

'Keep' and 'winning' should not be used in the same sentence when referring to Villla this season. We have won 9 games out of 35! Law of averages suggest we will one game every now and then - with Bannan playing or not. It's only recently that we have started playing well and gaining some decent victories. Has Bannan player in our most recent wins?

He was on bench v Sunderland. You need to check squads before checking stats

'Keep' and 'winning' should not be used in the same sentence when referring to Villla this season. We have won 9 games out of 35! Law of averages suggest we will one game every now and then - with Bannan playing or not. It's only recently that we have started playing well and gaining some decent victories. Has Bannan player in our most recent wins?

When did he last step onto the field for us though?

With Bannan being in the squad, Is that the reason why we beat Sunderland?

Edited by Tayls

When did he last step onto the field for us though?

Yeah but he hasnt been completely left out. If he wasnt in lamberts plans he wouldnt have been near the bench on monday night

I'm just not happy with people suggesting we only win with Bannan. It's so wide off the mark. He has done next to nothing of any use this season. So, so disappointing. He has an attitude problem as well I think - not once has he looked bothered when he has given a ball away or made a bad decision. Shame.

Has there ever been another season where the undisputed, factually proven, head and shoulders above the rest "best crosser in the Premier League" has only managed one assist in the entire season?

Also, traditionally the best crosser is also an excellent free kick taker. Has there ever been anyone else crowned "best crosser in the Premier League" who has never scored a free kick?

Bannan is a new breed of super crosser, one who provides neither assists nor goals with his amazing ability to direct the ball.

Lowton has more assists and goals this season.

His assists per game ratio is below those of Benteke, N'Zogbia, Weimann, Gabby, Westwood, Lowton, Holman, Ireland, Sylla, Bennett and even Lichaj. For a man who takes the lion's share of attacking set pieces and is basically a left footed version of Juninho that's inconceivable.

His goals per game ratio is the same as Isaac Newton's.

And a massively overhit corner that is collected on the opposite touchline by our player is "accurate" as is an underhit one that our player manages to get a toe on in front of the first man.

There are no "accurate" corners like that on Bannan's record. Double check yourself. If there were, I'd file it under "Fail".

First of all, stop talking shit Con. You did not watch all the crosses so you did not "file" it anywhere. Someone at whoscored did.

Secondly, while I disagree with Con about the validity of the key pass stat, it is probably as good as we can do but is still inherently flawed, his basic premise is correct.

Assists do not tell the story. To have an assist, two things have to happen. The first is player A has to create a chance. The second is player B has to put away the chance.

If player A creates a chance that player B then fails to convert, then no assist is given. So if you only look at assists you are penalizing player A for the inability of player B. For this reason, the idea behind the key pass stat is much more telling that assists.

And so, to Con's point, Westwood having 2 assists with fewer "good" corners than Bannan is just a statistical anomaly.

Now if the key pass stat actually reflects a good, goal scoring chance is another matter all together......

So the majority of Bannan's corners are down to the inability of the rest of the team?

I'm not buying into that.

The only person liable to get on the end of a Bannan corner is the man on the moon & he's still busy at the moment trying to retrieve Heskeys shots from last season..

I did not say that. Con's stats are not indicative of the quality of the corner taken and obviously a "better" corner would have a better chance of being converted.

My point was some people have completely disregarded the idea that someone with more assists from corners could actually be an inferior corner taker, which is a mistake.

The point if sabermetrics is to differentiate the result from the quality of the attempt under the assumption that more quality attempts will, over the long run, yield the best results. So, for instance in Baseball because that is where these principles are most easily applied, a player could be batting .320 and actually be an inferior hitter to someone batting .270. The only way to know would be to look at stats like BABIP.

These principles cannot be well applied to football, however, because any useful stat would rely on someone to judge the quality of the chance created. Not an easy thing to uniformly do.

Bannan has been very frustating player to watch, sometimes he does something great, like that turn with the ball against Liverpool what left opposition player flat footed followed with the pass to build the goal or the long pass couple years ago for Albrighton who then scored, and other times he's like finnish division one player.

It's more to do with his mental ability than with the technical ability and I can't put my finger on it what goes wrong, and he reminds me a lot of Ireland in that aspect who is good for two-three games and then looks to be utterly disinterested in the next one.

This is turning into the Barry Banan bashing forum. The guy is a Villa player and has done nothing to merrit such abuse. Even seen someone say he had a really bad attitude as he doesnt care when he makes a bad pass, like come on. He isnt even playing past load of games so i dont see why people have to keep on about him.

Yes if he has a bad game talk about it for the few days after and let it be at that.

The boy has talent, but our cause is too pressing at the moment - we don't have the time to allow him to mature. Westwood is getting there far quicker and his game is 'safer' than Bannan, who for me just tries too hard with the over ambitious killer/hollywood passes that more often than not, just don't make it.

Couple this with his diminutive frame, and he just doesn't offer enough physicality or presence in the middle of the park - as a smaller man, at least Benayoun is more consistent and can dribble, and obviously Modric is just a better version of Benayoun. He's an indulgence we can't afford at present, he just doesn't offer quite enough. 

This is turning into the Barry Banan bashing forum. The guy is a Villa player and has done nothing to merrit such abuse. Even seen someone say he had a really bad attitude as he doesnt care when he makes a bad pass, like come on. He isnt even playing past load of games so i dont see why people have to keep on about him.

Yes if he has a bad game talk about it for the few days after and let it be at that.

I really really want him to be a great player. Honestly I really do. However, I am not buying into any of this statistical bullshit that contradicts what my own eyes tell me of his performances to date.

I have asked if Bannan has ever taken a corner kick that we have scored from?........Ever!

The response & silence is deafening.