Barry Bannan

villianusa

Hasn't he played in every game we've won this season?

Yeah but apparently because he doesn't score enough goals and get enough direct assists, and because he got nicked for drink-driving once - he gets it in the neck from quite a few on here.

Are you saying he does score enough goals or that he does get enough assists? Simple questions, yes or no?

It's not really his role in the team to do so, so yes. 

:crylaugh:

What is his role then? Because it certainly isn't defending!!!

Yesterdays performance wont change my opinion that he's a subpar footballer who shouldn't be anywhere near a premiership side

He's miles behind Westwood and Delph players who have consistently shown after being given a run of games that they are decent players

As soon as Delph has served his suspension hopefully he goes back in the side with Bannan warming the bench where he belongs till his contract runs out

He's miles behind Westwood and Delph players who have consistently shown after being given a run of games that they are decent players

Consistently? We are talking about Delph, right?

How many seasons and how many "runs" does it take for him to be judged as "decent"? Shouldn't the same opportunity, then, be given to Bannan also?

• Like 1

Bannan was fine yesterday. People criticising his performance need to unplug the PC and get to a game to assess. Pure fickleness to criticise him for yesterday. Only 1 player played poorly yesterday and that's Matthew Lowton who had another mare.

had more licence to go forward yesterday, with Sylla in there. Got into the box a few times, which we've not seen much from central midfielders this season & I actually think he would get the odd goal if we used him like this. The one that came off the post was unlucky rather than a bad miss, it was an instinctive poke with zero time to think about it -  came off post and I think it was going in, keeper had to claw it off the line (I didn't notice this first time):

http://www.101greatgoals.com/gvideos/gif-gabriel-agbonlahors-winner-v-reading/

He wanted the ball, mostly kept it simple with possession, covered lots of ground and one bad mistake to give it away was the only real black mark.

Bannan was fine yesterday. People criticising his performance need to unplug the PC and get to a game to assess. Pure fickleness to criticise him for yesterday. Only 1 player played poorly yesterday and that's Matthew Lowton who had another mare.

I don't think anyone has criticised him for his performance yesterday... it was clearly one of his better games of the season. The point I believe people are making is that even in one of his better games he is pretty average and therefore not good enough in the long run for AVFC.

Oh I dont deny that, if we aspire to be more than relegation fodder every year we need better than Bannan . He's not alone in that category though.

Agreed... I think Bannan is probably copping it more than most on here now because Con has stated he is one of the best players in the PL and that he has world class attributes... something which is very clearly absolute nonsense of the highest order. 

Was pleased for Bannan to have a decent game yesterday and was unlucky with the one that hit the post - although we should prob be more thankful that Gabby is in the goals again just at the right time.

I have to say though N'Zogbia did well for me when he replaced Bannan and I would definitely be picking Charles for the big one next week. Benteke, Gabby, Weimann and Zog are a dangerous unit, we need them all playing next week. Westwood and Sylla I think can cope.

• Like 1

Correct - he's a deep-lying playmaker. You can look it up if you want. 

You do realise that Aston Villa isn't an American Football team right?

I don't really know how to approach this comment - such is it's lack of sense. 

I'm neither anti or pro Bannan but yesterday i thought we kept our shape better when Bannan was playing. His did get caught in possession a couple of times but to his credit he did chase back and generally moved the ball well. 

He deserves credit for his performance although once Delph has served his ban he needs to come straight back into the team as Delph and Westwood is a far more effective partnership.

All of our league wins this season (bar west ham) have come with Bannan playing.

Not defending him just pointing it out .

This is because we keep possession of the ball better with him so the opposition have less chance of hammering our league 2 defense as much.

I think there is an argument to play him in certain games (like yesterday) where we can dominate possession...maybe play N'Zog in games where we are expected to surrender a lot of possession and play counter attack. Bring Bannan on when defending a lead. We killed lots of time yesterday passing it about so they couldn't get an equalizer.

• Like 1

Yesterdays performance wont change my opinion that he's a subpar footballer who shouldn't be anywhere near a premiership side

As soon as Delph has served his suspension hopefully he goes back in the side with Bannan warming the bench where he belongs till his contract runs out

Hahaha. Why has Delph become a new midfield Messiah for some. I just don't see it. Is it because he has played well in games we've lost?!?

Bannan has played in 5 of our League wins( he missed West Ham game), Delph in 2

I really don't like Delph. The only thing we've got going for us atm is getting the ball forward quickly and Delph is another sideways/backwards passer and god love him when he trys to dribble.

Hahaha. Why has Delph become a new midfield Messiah for some. I just don't see it. Is it because he has played well in games we've lost?!?

Bannan has played in 5 of our League wins( he missed West Ham game), Delph in 2

I really don't like Delph. The only thing we've got going for us atm is getting the ball forward quickly and Delph is another sideways/backwards passer and god love him when he trys to dribble.

Would never have guessed!