Bannan 0

Delph 0

Westwood 0

Holman 1

KEA 1

Sylla 0

Herd 0

Ireland 0

That'd be different if you included cups though.

I'm sure Holman and Herd got a few?

(Which would put them ahead of Bannan, I believe!)

I still fail to see the reason why he was dropped, played better than all but 1 of our centre midfielders(Westwood) and even then its a toss up between the 2. We look a lot better on the ball with Bannan on the pitch. People on here criticise Bannan for the most insignificant things like the riskyish back pass to Given in the air against Bradford or when he lifted a pass to Baker instead of passing it on the ground. Both times we retained possession and started attacks but yet Bannan gets slated forit. The other times, people see isolated incidents where Bannan over hits a corner or a long pass and they seem to generalise that and come to the conclusion he hits too many long balls or he is a poor set piece taker.

Bannan brings us something that we don't have, a good ball player who can keep the ball under pressure. When we were drawing 1-1 against Arsenal with 20 mins remaining Bannan would've been ideal as instead of hoofing the ball aimlessly up field, he at least has the ability to keep the ball on the deck and pass it around. Something that no one else really has. For the goals and assists argument, Bannan isn't there to score goals, he's a deep-lying playmaker and he does that reasonably well. We haven't given Bannan the opportunity to play in an advanced role, for example where N'Zogbia plays at the moment, which would give him more opportunities to create. Bannan does create chances, its just a shame that most of which the chances he created have been wasted by strikers. Also Bannan gets a lot of 'second assists' i.e. he makes the pass before the pass that leads to the goal. 

Its not rocket science Bannan needs a big dominant midfielder next to him if we want him to be effective. He needs a Diame or a N'Zonzi to marshal the midfield and allow Bannan to play the passes. If not that, you need a system(like Swansea have) to maximise Bannan's ability, you need players who are also willing to pass and play nice attractive football. Bannan is at worst a very good asset to bring on at the 70 minute mark to keep possession(if winning) or to add some creativity(if losing).          

Edited by Cambridge-AVFC
  • Like 1

Goals from midfield this season makes grim reading -

Bannan 0

Delph 0

Westwood 0

Holman 1

KEA 1

Sylla 0

Herd 0

Ireland 0

And in my opinion both of those goals were semi-gaffs as well :) Anyhow, you miss 100% of the shots you don't take!

Our midfield this season has been disasterous and definetely the worst in the Premier League by quite the margin. Thank god N'Zogbia has shown that he is much better than all the rest lately, fighting relegation with Brett Holman building the attack is like waiving the white flag.

I still fail to see the reason why he was dropped, played better than all but 1 of our centre midfielders(Westwood) and even then its a toss up between the 2. We look a lot better on the ball with Bannan on the pitch. People on here criticise Bannan for the most insignificant things like the riskyish back pass to Given in the air against Bradford or when he lifted a pass to Baker instead of passing it on the ground. Both times we retained possession and started attacks but yet Bannan gets slated forit. The other times, people see isolated incidents where Bannan over hits a corner or a long pass and they seem to generalise that and come to the conclusion he hits too many long balls or he is a poor set piece taker.

Bannan brings us something that we don't have, a good ball player who can keep the ball under pressure. When we were drawing 1-1 against Arsenal with 20 mins remaining Bannan would've been ideal as instead of hoofing the ball aimlessly up field, he at least has the ability to keep the ball on the deck and pass it around. Something that no one else really has. For the goals and assists argument, Bannan isn't there to score goals, he's a deep-lying playmaker and he does that reasonably well. We haven't given Bannan the opportunity to play in an advanced role, for example where N'Zogbia plays at the moment, which would give him more opportunities to create. Bannan does create chances, its just a shame that most of which the chances he created have been wasted by strikers. Also Bannan gets a lot of 'second assists' i.e. he makes the pass before the pass that leads to the goal.

Its not rocket science Bannan needs a big dominant midfielder next to him if we want him to be effective. He needs a Diame or a N'Zonzi to marshal the midfield and allow Bannan to play the passes. If not that, you need a system(like Swansea have) to maximise Bannan's ability, you need players who are also willing to pass and play nice attractive football. Bannan is at worst a very good asset to bring on at the 70 minute mark to keep possession(if winning) or to add some creativity(if losing).

Agree with this.

The stats are wrong I fear. He was good against Sunderland, maybe, but that's about it. It might be the case of us not having the players to being the best out of him but, I'm not convinced. 

Arsenal home? Newcastle away? Swansea home? Liverpool away? Four games where he played very well and you could make a legitimate case for man of the match. But other than West Brom away and Everton home, Bannan has played fine. Like I said he gets unjustified stick. In the right system or with a ball winning centre midfielder, Bannan could shine in my opinion.