Barry Bannan

villianusa

I didn't understand your point. I'm not comparing him to Baines, who is a LB. Baines is not even on the list.

I'm also not suggesting our midfielders are better than Lampard. However, they are currently better at passing and crossing than Lampard.

Lampard gets in the Chelsea team because he's a goal threat. Didn't have that he wouldn't play.

Ha ha! The last bit is really funny. Im not Lampards biggest fan, but to say we cross and pass better than him with his experience is insane!!

Maybe there not gonna extend his contract cause they want Bannan as his replacement?????

Bannan is too deep, he's not a Pirlo type player, why is he beside Clark during the game when he should be at least 20 yards further up the pitch? He is also too lightweight and doesn't close down players quick enough. He might be able to pass the ball to the right and left back when they are in acres of space and hit a diagonal ball to the edge of the area that Benteke will win and nothing good will come of but we do not need that. I'll do that if they want for a lot cheaper.

I don't know how people don't see what you've just described.

Ha ha! The last bit is really funny. Im not Lampards biggest fan, but to say we cross and pass better than him with his experience is insane!!

Maybe there not gonna extend his contract cause they want Bannan as his replacement?????

It's not insane, it's the facts. A lot of CMs in the PL pass and cross better than Lampard.

The only reason we think Lampard is a better passer and crosser than lesser-known X is reputation.

What makes Lampard better is his experience and goal-scoring threat.

This makes him the more effective midfielder despite his lower passing and crossing ability.

Fortunately for the Chelsea team there are other great passers around him so that doesn't become a liability.

It's not insane, it's the facts. A lot of CMs in the PL pass and cross better than Lampard.

The only reason we think Lampard is a better passer and crosser than lesser-known X is reputation.

This makes him the more effective midfielder despite his lower passing and crossing ability.

Fortunately for the Chelsea team there are other great passers around him so that doesn't become a liability.

So lets get this right by fact. You believe there is no better passer/crosser in the premiership than Bannan!!

Seriously why are you focusing so much on our passing? Its woeful. End of. Been woeful for decades.

So lets get this right by fact. You believe there is no better passer/crosser in the premiership than Bannan!!

He's better than Pirlo apparently

Juventus are interested in signing him as a replacement when he finally hangs up his boots

Clark cannot do and should not be trusted to do the job of a midfielder.

It's not as though you are describing a new position in football. There are deep lying playmakers at other teams, including the top teams.

I keep making the same point. Leon Britton is lighter and shorter. No assists. Hardly misses a match for Swansea. No, Bannan is not exactly the same game. Point is, doesn't matter what size they are if they fit in with the rest of the team.

With regards your comment on Clark, Clark has a better passing percentage 80.7% than Bannan's 79.6%, so by your logic is not only better than Bannan but also Lampard. Bannan does not fit in with the rest of the team if Bennett could find Lowton and vice versa with a cross field ball he would have no use at all.

With regards your comment on Clark, Clark has a better passing percentage 80.7% than Bannan's 79.6%, so by your logic is not only better than Bannan but also Lampard. Bannan does not fit in with the rest of the team if Bennett could find Lowton and vice versa with a cross field ball he would have no use at all.

You're forgetting that Clark is a "playmaking" centre half. A position which is apparently a must in this day and age, you can afford to be shit at defending as long as your pass completion rate is high.

I don't know how people don't see what you've just described.

People are trying to make football more and more an exact science, focusing on the numbers, just because Spain have won trophies by keeping the ball, it helps that they have some of the finest players of the current generation. Con you seem to have all these stats about BB, can you tell me what kind of distance he covers on average?

You're forgetting that Clark is a "playmaking" centre half. A position which is apparently a must in this day and age, you can afford to be shit at defending as long as your pass completion rate is high.

Indeed, I dont see why defenders don't defend. Look at Barcelona how many goals do they concede a night.

So the "coaches" have been telling him to over hit every cross is that right? ridiculous.

Too many excuses for him that is the problem.

Think people are used to seeing him week in week out and are used to his rubbish.. that is the only explanation for defending him.

Can't wait till he leaves.

No, I didn't say there wasn't a better passer.

He is currently the best crosser in the Premier League, on that list, and among all other players with a large enough sample size.

This could change over the rest of the season, but that is how it stands now.

With regards your comment on Clark, Clark has a better passing percentage 80.7% than Bannan's 79.6%, so by your logic is not only better than Bannan but also Lampard.

I wouldn't say that. They're playing different positions which affects the passing data.

The table I presented compares players playing roughly the same position.

There is a higher difficulty level passing in the CM than at CB, so you cannot directly compare this statistic.

CM is usally surrounded by opposition players on all four sides - opposition wing, midfielders and strikers. CB usually only has to face an opposition striker when they pass.

You can, however, compare the long ball and crossing passing statistic between players because this is an attacking ball, rather than a normal passing ball.

if Bennett could find Lowton and vice versa with a cross field ball he would have no use at all.

oh-please.gif

Yes, Clark is in that mould. But they should be paired with a traditional defender (IMO).

Rio Ferdinand is a playmaking centre half. A superb passer.

However, he usually passes the ball to one of the midfielders for them to kick the attacking ball.

They should not literally try to be the teams primary playmaker, they use their skill to find the midfielder.

You need one of the CBs to have ball skill so you don't end up with two Collins, Huths or Ivanovic's doing a dumb and dumber act.

People are trying to make football more and more an exact science, focusing on the numbers, just because Spain have won trophies by keeping the ball, it helps that they have some of the finest players of the current generation. Con you seem to have all these stats about BB, can you tell me what kind of distance he covers on average?

That would be interesting, no I don't have that stat.

Someone tell me if they find it anywhere.

Bannan has half the ability of Ireland put twice the heart.

He has half the pace of Gabby, but twice the enthusiasm.

He may not be great, Bannan, but at least he tries, and he puts 100% in, them 2 above are an absolute disgrace.

And if Clark is a good player, then so am i, useless, don't want to see them 3 players in a Villa shirt ever again.

I actually thought Bannan played well last night and was surprised he was subbed off for Bent.

(on that matter, I'd have ditched Bennett for Bent and gone three at the back)

Last night, he always wanted the ball and tried to dictate tempo and movement - fair play. Unfortunately, his corners were dreadful again - why don't any of our players just hang around beyond the back post??? They'd get the ball every corner!

I think some of the Bannan bashing is a little OTT - he wasn't and isn't the worst midfielder at the club. He certainly offers more than a certain Mr Ireland (IMO!)

Bannan is too deep, he's not a Pirlo type player, why is he beside Clark during the game when he should be at least 20 yards further up the pitch? He is also too lightweight and doesn't close down players quick enough. He might be able to pass the ball to the right and left back when they are in acres of space and hit a diagonal ball to the edge of the area that Benteke will win and nothing good will come of but we do not need that. I'll do that if they want for a lot cheaper.

This this this. And here lies the problem. Because he comes deep it means instead of getting the ball in the opposition half and having the opposition midfield in front of him he now as their front two on top and a bigger gap between him and our own front two. It also means he never gets the ball moving and looking forward he always has to stop to turn or worse give it straight back to where the ball came from.

He doesn't create anything, his corners are shit, useless in the tackle and does he ever beat a man...there comes a point when you just have to say he isn't good enough.

We are desperate need of someone who can play in midfield and stay in midfield dictating the play

We are desperate need of someone who can play in midfield and stay in midfield dictating the play

You are describing what he did in the first 45 minutes. He was mostly invisible because he was doing his job, receiving, distributing. 

We created 7 chances in the first half and had we 7 chances in the second, we might have won the game. 

You are describing what he did in the first 45 minutes. He was mostly invisible because he was doing his job, receiving, distributing. 

We created 7 chances in the first half and had we 7 chances in the second, we might have won the game. 

He spent all half 10 yards from Clark or vlaar picking the ball up and passed to Bennett or Lawton it was only when we got to the edge of the box he then caught up the play and got in to a position he should have been in from the start. A couple if times he did pass it forward one of them was to Clark who was in front on him.....with him dropping back all the time it doesn't allow the centre halfs to bring the ball forward and soak the space....especially last night Bradford spent most of the half in there own half and we had banyan spending it most in ours....very rarely did he get pass the centre circle...get up the pitch..get in the game....let the back four/ five play it from there

• Like 1