Barry Bannan

villianusa

I don't think his corners are any good, something like one in 5 pose a threat. But I do think we are harsh on him.

We seem far more forgiving to Lowton, Baker, Guzan, Westwood all of whom have had made bad errors recently.

Most seem to dislike and not rate Delph at all - but I think many can see he's looking half decent since given a run in the side (hoping he's no badly injured). Bannan does need a strong ball winner next to him as he is too lightweight to be winning 50/50s and putting tackles in, which brings me to the issue with Bannan..... i don't know his best position.... neither does Lambert. At a guess i'd say behind the strikers, but Lambert has chosen Zog for that.

I look at Bannan and Ireland as similar types of players, tidy can pass well and capable of creating through balls, but neither can tackle or do the basics that well. I don't know why Lambert hates Ireland so much as out of the two Ireland tends to have more impact, even if he doesn't do enough.

Bannan is one of many players in my opinion that need to operate in a team that is stable and confident, which we are not, which is why we are so screwed at the moment - as ever player on the pitch is hoping that someone else digs them out of trouble rather than them believing they could do it.

We seem far more forgiving to Lowton, Baker, Guzan, Westwood all of whom have had made bad errors recently.

Not sure which bit of this to pick at first.

Guzan I've no idea why you include him, he has been great for us this season. I'm struggling to think of any bad errors he has made that see him included in this list.

As for Lowton and Westwood both have made a huge step up in terms of the level they are playing at and generally speaking have performed well. While Baker is a kid in his first season in the team so he is obviously going to be given some slack.

Bannan though has been a around a while now, has nearly 70 games under his belt yet has 1 assist and 1 goal which was a penalty. He doesn't improve, he doesn't contribute, he can't tackle, he consistently makes the same mistakes and people have run out of patience with him.

Guzan I've no idea why you include him, he has been great for us this season. I'm struggling to think of any bad errors he has made that see him included in this list.

As for Lowton and Westwood both have made a huge step up in terms of the level they are playing at and generally speaking have performed well. While Baker is a kid in his first season in the team so he is obviously going to be given some slack.

Bannan though has been a around a while now, has nearly 70 games under his belt yet has 1 assist and 1 goal which was a penalty. He doesn't improve, he doesn't contribute, he can't tackle, he consistently makes the same mistakes and people have run out of patience with him.

but apart from that he is world class, statistically!

Bannan is **** shit in deeper midfield and has looked quite a bit better when he's been in more advanced role where he should be played, same with Ireland. If we buy physical defensive midfielder, Lambert could play Bannan as AMC and I bet he'd be much better in that spot.

Guzan has been great but yesterday he cost us a needless corner and some of his distribution has been poor, I rate Lowton but again of late he has made a fair few errors in possession and not being able to stop anyone from getting crosses in. Westwood has done ok also, but again he's far from perfect - not saying anyone is saying he is. Just saying there are players that people seem to have a lot more patience with and players like Bannan, Ireland, Zog, Bent that people just go over the top about sometimes.

We only seem to judge players on how bad they are not on how good they have been, we completely forget any performances that were good.

and i don't think Bannan should be starting at all, or even playing asa sub regularly, I think Ireland needs to play more, even if it just means us putting him in the spotlight so we can sell him.

Bannan is **** shit in deeper midfield and has looked quite a bit better when he's been in more advanced role where he should be played, same with Ireland. If we buy physical defensive midfielder, Lambert could play Bannan as AMC and I bet he'd be much better in that spot.

Yes this. Because of injuries and silly formations, Bannan has been deployed as a deep lying playmaker. He is awful defensively which comes as no surprise considering how small he is. If Bannan was given fewer defensive responsibilities, I believe he would be doing much better.

Guzan has been great but yesterday he cost us a needless corner and some of his distribution has been poor, I rate Lowton but again of late he has made a fair few errors in possession and not being able to stop anyone from getting crosses in. Westwood has done ok also, but again he's far from perfect - not saying anyone is saying he is. Just saying there are players that people seem to have a lot more patience with and players like Bannan, Ireland, Zog, Bent that people just go over the top about sometimes.

So you think Guzan costing us a corner should see him get the same level of criticism as Bannan despite the fact he has been excellent this season?

As for Lowton and Westwood you seem to have completely ignored the logical explanation I've just given as to why people give them more slack than Bannan. The list of players you name above only proves that point, people expect more from more experienced players and when they don't get it they get more stick than the kids get or than players who have moved up 2 divisions get.

We only seem to judge players on how bad they are not on how good they have been, we completely forget any performances that were good.

I have never once been impressed by Bannan, not once. I think he is a nothing player. I've never seen him control a PL game or even get close.

Yes this. Because of injuries and silly formations, Bannan has been deployed as a deep lying playmaker. He is awful defensively which comes as no surprise considering how small he is. If Bannan was given fewer defensive responsibilities, I believe he would be doing much better.

Absolutely. He is being criticised for something he should not be doing in the first place.

So you think Guzan costing us a corner should see him get the same level of criticism as Bannan despite the fact he has been excellent this season?

As for Lowton and Westwood you seem to have completely ignored the logical explanation I've just given as to why people give them more slack than Bannan. The list of players you name above only proves that point, people expect more from more experienced players and when they don't get it they get more stick than the kids get or than players who have moved up 2 divisions get.

I have never once been impressed by Bannan, not once. I think he is a nothing player. I've never seen him control a PL game or even get close.

maybe the issue in part is perception we still look at Bannan, Herd, Clark, Lichaj and co as youngsters, but as you rightly point out they have had enough experience to be judged the same as others.

Maybe unlike Guzan, Bannan doesn't have much in the sympathy tank to tide him over for when he plays rubbish, and no Guzan conceding a corner leading to a goal doesn't put him in the same league of crapness as Bannan. Guzan has been one of our best players.

But if we survive and get a few more players in then Lowton and Westwood will get far more stick than they do now, i'm not saying they deserve more stick it's just that they get far less criticism than others.

I just don't hate Bannan or think he is as rubbish as he is made out to be, he's played ok at times, even had a few good games, i'm entitled to have that opinion. Doesn't mean i want him in the team every week.

oh and i am a believer that players do need a long run in the starting eleven to be fully judged and that means standing by them when they are crap, Bannan, Lichaj, Stevens, Herd have never had that so it's hard to dismiss them all as crap when their careers are so stop start. Same with Ireland, he gets two starts - if he is decent in one and crap in the other he gets dropped. Maybe managers don't like his attitude and maybe he doesn't train well, but it's hard to know what he can produce without a run of more than three games. Last season he started a fair few and most thought he was doing ok. I find it hard to believe that the manager thinks so little of him that he can't even play him from the bench or in the cup!

Maybe if Bannan started week in and week out we could judge him more evenly, but..........please god no!

Edited by VillanousOne