Barry Bannan

villianusa

Thought we missed him at Liverpool, we needed his creativity, especially with Young suspended. The CM balance was all wrong on Monday.

Agree re the balance that he brings but I thought he looked poor on Saturday against the Baggies. Fine when he was on the ball, although he had to come too deep to pick it up, but fairly ineffectual otherwise. I don't know whether this was tiredness, dip in form (to be expected with young players) or simply that he was just outnumbered or outmuscled by the Baggies' three man CM. I thought Hogg looked much more involved and had a very good game. I was willing Ged to take Bannan off for NRC much earlier than he did to solidify us a bit and close out the game.

Only saw the West Brom game on SS, so can't really comment, but I can't imagine he'll ever win a midfield scrap, especially outnumbered.

I'd say that was an incredibly accurate prediction of 2014 ;)

They forgot to mention why Bannan would want to leave Villa who were crowned the Premier League and Champion's League Champions two years running though.

They forgot to quote Bannan's other teammate Kaka too.

• 3 weeks later...

Not another Bodymoor Heath balls-up

IT'S only a slight change, and it's not going to guarantee that Aston Villa's players will start spilling more blood, sweat and tears for the claret and blue cause.......(Well it might, fast forward to last sentence)

But here's an update from Villa's Bodymoor Heath headquarters which you won't find leaked by an agent of a disillusioned player.

No, it's not as juicy as a star having a training ground bust-up with a manager/coach/cone etc but it does give a little insight into efforts going on to improve the mood behind the scenes.

Since Gerard Houllier arrived, the players' largely unused snooker table has gone and the room has been turned into the media manager's office.

"Outrageous, just another example of Houllier upsetting the senior players.....how dare he etc etc etc."

Well, not quite, and it's only a small development, but the pool table and table football brought into the staff canteen instead are proving extremely popular with the squad after training.

Rather than rushing off after their lunch, many of the players are staying behind to take each other on at one or both of the pusuits. (After they've done their extra shooting/defensive practice on the pitch, of course).

From what I'm hearing the indoor games are certainly keeping the lads' competitive streak sharp during a troubling time on the field.

Like, I said, it's only a minor thing, and I'm not pretending every single one of the players is best buddies with the manager and all of their team-mates. Or that there have not been heated disagreements.

But moving the pool table and table football to a communal area where everyone can join in - apparently the games are attracting plenty of spectators too - instead of a quiet room tucked away down the corridor is just one of the ways the new coaches are trying to foster positive team spirit. (Despite ludicrous rumours about them rowing over the colour of the cloth).

So, what about the blood, sweat and tears I mentioned in the intro? Well a game of pool involving a certain left-footed, diminutive Scottish international midfielder with the initials BB, who shall remain nameless, nearly added to Villa's injury list.

The said youngster clearly fancies himself as being better on the baize than compatriot Stephen Hendry. But maybe he should restrict his trick shots to the football field.

Last week he was playing a game against one of Villa's youngsters when he accidentally launched the cue ball off the table out through the canteen doors and over the balcony that overlooks reception, just missing Christine the receptionist.

Thought I'd tell you now, just in case one of the Sunday red-tops gets hold of the story, proclaiming 'Villla Crisis Continues As Star Player Almost Kills Colleague in Pool Ball Attack'!

MatKendrick's blog

Bannan tut tut.

What would people think about sending him back on loan to Blackpool for the rest of the season as a sweatener for the Charlie Adam deal? Has looked a bit off the pace in recent appearances. Surely Bannan's appearances will be limited here for the rest of the season with players back and a possible 2 new midfielders coming in. Obviously all depending if we bring in Adam or Makoun or both.

Might not be a bad idea, if he's going to have a rake of midfielders ahead of him he may as well go out on loan and get prem experience elsewhere. I mean, it's not like we have the league cup or Europe to play any of our less experienced players, and I'd rather we play a strong side in the FA cup as that's the only glimmer of hope we seem to have this season.

Barry Bannan getting regular games week in week out in the Premier League is something I'd like to see. If Adam is signed, that's Petrov, Coker, Delph, Adam, maybe even Makoun as well as Gardner coming back. I like Bannan but I doubt he's going to be involved every game, he could do though at Blackpool. He's still unproven at this level and goes missing in games at times so getting more games under his belt wouldn't hurt anyone.

A loan spell for Bannan in the league at a team like Blackpool would work wonde3rs for him and Villa.

Only way it can bite us in the arse is if we get relegated but then again he isnt the type of player who is going to keep us up