Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

I am not knocking players for getting the best deals they can, but to come out and say he owes the club massively and then blab he wants out is not commendable. As for Liverpool being a top club now, I would beg to differ. He can go forth and multiply IMO, but dont compare him to Young (not my favourite player by a long way) who showed respect to the club

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not knocking players for getting the best deals they can, but to come out and say he owes the club massively and then blab he wants out is not commendable. As for Liverpool being a top club now, I would beg to differ. He can go forth and multiply IMO, but dont compare him to Young (not my favourite player by a long way) who showed respect to the club

Liverpool may have struggled recently, but they are a top club by reputation and have a massive world wide fan base.

Liverpool may have struggled recently, but they are a top club by reputation and have a massive world wide fan base.

Who gives a monkeys about reputation, is that why he signed

Who gives a monkeys about reputation, is that why he signed

I'm guessing he's signed because they should challenge for a top four position this season which means that he may get the chance to play champions league football in 2012/13. He probably won't get the chance with Villa while he's at his peak. I'm being realistic and not trying to score any points. I'm also guessing he's getting a hefty signing on fee and at least a million pounds a season more pay.

villabromsgrove, valid points made, discussion is good. They may challenge for top 4, but again I say he should have stayed for one more season and then gone, though we may have lost money if he hdant signed new contract. Have said before if we were offered far more money in our jobs, would we take it? Just annoyed with Downing cos of the way we treated him when he signed and his ill judged comments at end of the season.

ill judged comments at end of the season.

This.

Liverpool, bigger club - fair enough

Top four aspirations - fair enough

More money - fair enough

But DON'T say shit like "the best is yet to come", "Obviously if you have a good season you get linked, but I'm happy here.", "I have not even thought about leaving at any time. A lot faith went in to me.", "Yes. Obviously there is speculation about players going to clubs all the time but I am happy here", "The club paid a lot of money for me when I was injured and it was a serious injury. I want to repay that faith and so do a lot of the other players as well."

He is full of shit. Good riddance to bad rubbish

Agree with above.

Young did not tell us he would stay if even we were relegated, then basically state he wouldnt be moving, he was also at the club for 4 years and could have left the last 2 summers but did not. Young was also not injured when we signed him.

Young did not pose with a Man U scarf.

Young Thanked the Club and Fans.

It has been reported that Villa are 'privately fuming' at Downing's attitude. I dont blame him for moving, he has just acted like a complete tool.

yes i'm sure we were concerned about the loyalty downing showed to boro when he joined us. or the loyalty young showed to watford.

get real people - they are professionals looking to advance their careers!

Again its nothing to do with loyalty, its to do with attitude and respect. Both conducted themselves very differently when leaving the club.

I presume he's staying with Andy Carroll atm minute until he finds somewhere to live, might have to have another of those convenient piss stops

Andy Carroll not lodging at Gerrards then? ;)

Nah, he was living in Woolton but moved to the north end of the city a few weeks ago, took a 2 year lease on a house in Blundellsands with an option to buy at the end of the season. Plenty of room for his mate to bunk up for a few weeks until he gets sorted. Hopefully Downing will set up his decks and keep my boss awake at night as their gardens meet ;-)

I really hope he doesn't move up to Formby where, Gerrard, Cole and a couple of other Liverpool players now live. might bump into him in the local :s

yes i'm sure we were concerned about the loyalty downing showed to boro when he joined us. or the loyalty young showed to watford.

get real people - they are professionals looking to advance their careers!

Again its nothing to do with loyalty, its to do with attitude and respect. Both conducted themselves very differently when leaving the club.

well said

I hope he gets the same treatment Barry recieved when he came to our place for the first time with his new club.

That day was awesome, Barry was **** from the moment he stepped on the pitch, you could see it in his face, he never expected that much shit from our lot, and to be fair I've never heard us give that much shit to one of our former players before. It totally threw his game resulting in him being dragged off, with our lot ripping it out of him, I loved it.

That's what I want Downing to go through when he returns to our place.

^This^

I just hope that Downing is fit and available, and gets a place in the starting line-up.

Young did not pose with a Man U scarf.

Downing didn't pose with a Liverpool scarf either to be completely fair, that scarf was not the original scarf in the picture, I've done the photographic analysis, not only is the scarf at a completely different resolution to the rest of the image and contains way too many artifacts in comparison to the rest of the image, its lit in a completely different direction to the rest of the photo.

Downing didn't pose with a Liverpool scarf either to be completely fair, that scarf was not the original scarf in the picture, I've done the photographic analysis, not only is the scarf at a completely different resolution to the rest of the image and contains way too many artifacts in comparison to the rest of the image, its lit in a completely different direction to the rest of the photo.

I'm pretty sure the Liverpool fans even acknowledged it was a fake

Have said before if we were offered far more money in our jobs, would we take it?

Not this again. Earning 30k a year and progressing to 40k a year might make life a bit easier for ordinary people, pay off the mortgage etc etc etc. But if you're already earning 50k a WEEK you'd probably have more than enough money to last you (a couple of) lifetimes after playing for a few years. I see absolutely no need for a footballer already earning insane amounts of money to move clubs in order to increase their wages. Sad, appalling, idk.

Â