Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

I think we should have signed a replacement before he went. I have no problem with the deal in terms of the cash generated from his sale but I also think it's a mistake to let him go before we have a ready made man to take his place. Liverpool would have waited for him if they wanted him that much.

The fact that Villa have sold yet another player and the world is watching doesn't seem to bother our board at all. Whether this makes it more difficult for us to attract decent players or not remains to be seen I guess. Another £40k off the wage bill.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we should have signed a replacement before he went.

Maybe a case of ensuring we had the money in the bank first Steve.

Perhaps other moves were dependant on him definately moving!

Quite likely Moorski.

I hope we had the deals lined up and don't get held to ransom!! :evil:

Really hope the Evertom bidding for N'Zogbia turns out to be rubbish.

I cant see Everton having the money /wages available for N'Zogbia.

On Downing, that bloke is a major let down but he was lined up to go there 2 years ago and used us as a stepping stone after his foot injury.

I noted the OS statement re the completion of the transfer was missing the usual 'we wish (player) all the best for his future and thank him for his time at Villa' speil.....

speaks volumes on how this deal was dealt with by Downing, his agent and Plop IMO

If we manage to get N'Zogbia, Given, Parker and Hutton using the proceeds of his sale then it'll be more of a positive than a negative.

I think villa v liverpool would be a game Hogg could deffinitely do a job for us in :winkold:

The only game Hogg could do a job for us is if they ever need an extra body at a catering point or an extra steward, he's utter crap on the pitch and no where near good enough to play for the Villa.

I noted the OS statement re the completion of the transfer was missing the usual 'we wish (player) all the best for his future and thank him for his time at Villa' spell.....

Correct,the Club are clearly feeling let down & rightly so.

I noted the OS statement re the completion of the transfer was missing the usual 'we wish (player) all the best for his future and thank him for his time at Villa' speil.....

Was just about to post the same, close the door on the way out

im sorry but thats horseshit - you dont conduct an interview with newspaper (a) saying you are more than happy and you'd sit down and discuss a contract renewall and then give alternative interview to newspaper (B) a paper in the northeast saying the complete polar opposite. It makes you look like a clearing in the woods. Where's his respect? the club signed him on one leg and he said the same - its a disgrace that he has left the way he has and not shown any empathy towards the fans or the club

this.

I think villa v liverpool would be a game Hogg could deffinitely do a job for us in :winkold:

The only game Hogg could do a job for us is if they ever need an extra body at a catering point or an extra steward, he's utter crap on the pitch and no where near good enough to play for the Villa.

I meant he could do a job for us against Liverpool, as in one of his bad sliding challenges and Downing!

This is laughable :

Downing’s Liverpool-supporting dad, also called Stewart, believes the Reds' faithful and his new colleagues will be head over heels with Kenny Dalglish’s £20 million capture as he supplies the crosses that will allow striker Carroll to break the 20-goal barrier next season as he spearheads the club's quest for a return to the Premier League's top-four places.

In an exclusive interview with Goal.com, Downing Snr said: “I’ve been hearing from Liverpool fans that they have been crying out for an out-and-out left winger and Stewart won’t let them down. They’ve been saying they can’t wait until he arrives and they’ve been saying he’s a better player than Ashley Young. I know that they will love him.

“Andy Carroll will be rubbing his hands together. I bet he can’t wait for Stewart to arrive.

Carroll will get 20 goals a season, easy, just on our Stewart’s crosses.

"Carroll has a good touch for a big man but he is brilliant in the air and he will lap it up when Stewart starts pinging those pin-point crosses into the penalty area in front of the Kop.

“It’s a mouth-watering prospect. Stewart will be playing with better players – the likes of Charlie Adam and Steven Gerrard - who can pick you out with a pass. He will take to it like a duck to water.

“When they see him week in, week out Liverpool fans will see Stewart is a real team player as well. Ashley Young can’t play left back but our Stewart can. Ashley doesn’t track players like our Stewart tracks them. That is why the right back and left back always say they want him on their side so he can run up and down and look after them.”

The 26-year-old’s dad is confident that the former Middlesbrough player will be able to cope with the extra pressure that comes with playing for a club of Liverpool’s stature.

“There is a lot of pressure that comes with playing for Liverpool but Stewart will be fine with that,” said Downing Snr. “He has played alongside Steven Gerrard and all of them in front of 90,000 people at Wembley for England and so playing in front of 40,000-plus at Anfield won’t bother him.”

The bold bit is surely a joke!!

(granted goal.com but it has quotes)

I meant he could do a job for us against Liverpool, as in one of his bad sliding challenges and Downing!

I'd play Petrov instead. he's already put the guy on crutches once ...

Â